“Good for play, bad for work”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
“Good for play, bad for work”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I travel to Sudbury about once a month on business. This trip my usual hotel was booked so I decided to stay at this hotel. The room and building were clean and the bed was comfortable but I do not think I will be returning.

While away on business I do a lot of work from my room and it is essential that I have quality internet service. While the hotel claims to have free hi-speed interrnet in every room I found it to be very unreliable and I was unable to use skype or to sync with my office e-mail due to ping spikes that would lag me out every minute or so.

When I expressed the concern ot the front desk they said that skype and other streaming does not work that well on their internet.

I may have overlooked this but the staff at the front desk acted like I was an inconvienence and did not seem vvery interested in their work on in provviding friendly and prompt service.

If you are staying in the area for a holiday and do not need internet then the hotel is fine but for business I would look elsewhere. I know my fellow sstaff will not be using this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DerekSudbury, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Brent F,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologize that you did not receive the prompt and friendly service that you should have. Your issues have been addressed with the Guest Service Agents to ensure this does not happen again. I have also followed up with our internet service provider to verify our system is fully operational. We just had a new system installed in 2012 to enhance our wifi service throughout the hotel.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Sales & Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
St. Paul, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed in this hotel while driving across the country. We found it to be very out-dated. The bathroom in our room had exposed pipes and it was hard to maneuver around in. The room was also small and dingy. The restaurant, however, was very good in both service & quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DerekSudbury, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear jowadecam,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize that our hotel was not up to your standard. We have just finished a full renovation in 2012 of the exterior of our property and our rooms have been recently renovated as well. The majority of our bathrooms have pedestal sinks, so therefore there is some visible plumbing and unfortunately these cannot be covered.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Granville Ferry, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our recent stay at the Days Inn Sudbury was fine… UNTIL

For the price we thought the room was a bit below par; the floor in the bathroom wasn’t well swept, the window wall had mold and pealing wallpaper, the carpet was sticky (bring your shower shoes), the pillows over-filled to the point of uncomfortable… in general the room needed a makeover. However, the supplies were plentiful, the location of the hotel was great for our needs, and the staff was fantastic, professional and excelled at friendly service… that is… up until we checked out…

The hotel has only three 10 minute parking spaces in close proximity to the front desk and the only public elevators that take you to the floor of your room. As we were leaving we pulled our car up into one of the three parking spaces so that we wouldn’t have to travel as far with our luggage through the snow, as most senior citizens do. When we came back in through the entry doors we greeted the desk representative with a big hello and how are you! The clerk behind the desk was looking at us with distaste, did not return our salutation, and only proceeded to bark that we had parked in a “10 minute zone”! I explained that we knew that, that we were just grabbing our packed luggage and leaving. He obviously wasn’t happy. So when we came back down with our luggage I went up to him with a smile and said, see – we weren’t gone even ten minutes. Which he snootily replied, “Well I wouldn’t know, I didn’t look at the clock or set a timer.” (Really? Really?) So after being chastised once again, I handed him our room key and waited for the receipt. He proceeded to asked for my charge card. I mentioned the room had been paid for nearly 2 months ago as we made reservations via KAYAK. “Well I still need to see your charge card!” I was digging through my purse, flustered, when another desk clerk came out from the rear office, pointed at the screen on the computer, and said they’ve already paid in full. I thanked the second clerk and mentioned I had already notified him of that. At this point it almost seemed like he wanted to invent a problem. Then I asked for a receipt, and the snobby clerk said they couldn’t provide a receipt, that I should get that from KAYAK!

Once again I was surprised, embarrassed and confused by his response.

After the exceptional service we had received throughout our 4 day stay, this one small minded man with a Napoleon complex, left us with such a bad taste in our mouth, we honestly wouldn’t recommend this hotel unless you like being admonished.

I will add that the food from the hotel restaurant was good, especially the breakfast meals we enjoyed there. And again, the wait-staff - super friendly and courteous.

After four days of excellent service, it’s a shame one employee assigned to greeting and checking-out the patrons, could sour the entire stay. Does anyone want to be treated like that? Especially when you’re paying a premium price for the service rendered?

Room Tip: We had room 510, and wouldn't recommend it due to mold on window wall. Bring your own pillow an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JJ W
DerekSudbury, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Shareasmiletoday,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your concerns have been addressed directly with yourself by the General Manager and staff have been advised of the deficiencies in their respective departments.

We hope to have the opportunity in the future to serve you again.

Trenton, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

It's a bit deceiving form the outside and neighbourhood. This was a lovely hotel. I didn't use the pool etc. It was recently renovated, the room was clean, the beds very comfortable. And that's what matters, right?

The gastropub downstairs was fantastic. They don't serve molson or labatt, just craft beers. The menu certainly isn't standard either. There are some really odd things on it, which is great in my opinion. I had a lamb burger. It was okay. I'd suggest developing each item on the menu a bit though, since a lamb burger could be great with more complex spices (middle east/north african/indian instead of the jalapeño chunks in mayo), and sometimes a tomato and pickle are just wrong, like on a lamb burger. Good potential there anyway, depending on whether they choose to develop it, or not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DerekSudbury, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi Momnumber9,

Glad you enjoyed staying with us. We just completed exterior renovations and we are always renovating a different area of the hotel to keep up with the times. Our restaurant, Hardrock42 is a great addition to our hotel and is owned and operated by two local chefs. I will be sure to share your comments with them.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor.ca!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our choice hotel when visiting Sudbury! Love that we can use our Wyndham rewards. Clean generous sized rooms, beds extremely comfortable. Great staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Hello,

We are thrilled to be your choice hotel when visiting Sudbury. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the staff as well. Hope to see you again in the near future!