Our recent stay at the Days Inn Sudbury was fine… UNTIL
For the price we thought the room was a bit below par; the floor in the bathroom wasn’t well swept, the window wall had mold and pealing wallpaper, the carpet was sticky (bring your shower shoes), the pillows over-filled to the point of uncomfortable… in general the room needed a makeover. However, the supplies were plentiful, the location of the hotel was great for our needs, and the staff was fantastic, professional and excelled at friendly service… that is… up until we checked out…
The hotel has only three 10 minute parking spaces in close proximity to the front desk and the only public elevators that take you to the floor of your room. As we were leaving we pulled our car up into one of the three parking spaces so that we wouldn’t have to travel as far with our luggage through the snow, as most senior citizens do. When we came back in through the entry doors we greeted the desk representative with a big hello and how are you! The clerk behind the desk was looking at us with distaste, did not return our salutation, and only proceeded to bark that we had parked in a “10 minute zone”! I explained that we knew that, that we were just grabbing our packed luggage and leaving. He obviously wasn’t happy. So when we came back down with our luggage I went up to him with a smile and said, see – we weren’t gone even ten minutes. Which he snootily replied, “Well I wouldn’t know, I didn’t look at the clock or set a timer.” (Really? Really?) So after being chastised once again, I handed him our room key and waited for the receipt. He proceeded to asked for my charge card. I mentioned the room had been paid for nearly 2 months ago as we made reservations via KAYAK. “Well I still need to see your charge card!” I was digging through my purse, flustered, when another desk clerk came out from the rear office, pointed at the screen on the computer, and said they’ve already paid in full. I thanked the second clerk and mentioned I had already notified him of that. At this point it almost seemed like he wanted to invent a problem. Then I asked for a receipt, and the snobby clerk said they couldn’t provide a receipt, that I should get that from KAYAK!
Once again I was surprised, embarrassed and confused by his response.
After the exceptional service we had received throughout our 4 day stay, this one small minded man with a Napoleon complex, left us with such a bad taste in our mouth, we honestly wouldn’t recommend this hotel unless you like being admonished.
I will add that the food from the hotel restaurant was good, especially the breakfast meals we enjoyed there. And again, the wait-staff - super friendly and courteous.
After four days of excellent service, it’s a shame one employee assigned to greeting and checking-out the patrons, could sour the entire stay. Does anyone want to be treated like that? Especially when you’re paying a premium price for the service rendered?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Clarion Hotel in Sudbury, ON is situated in the heart of the city, right next to its main business and entertainment district. Our guests enjoy easy access to a rich variety of shopping and dining venues nearby. If you have friends or family members studying in the city, it will be easy for you to visit them while staying at the Clarion Hotel Sudbury, as all the key colleges and universities of the area including Cambrian College, College Boreal, Laurentian University and the new School of Architecture are located nearby. Every day at the Clarion Hotel Sudbury starts with a delicious breakfast served at our restaurant, the Hardrock 42 Gastropub. Our guests are also most welcome to stop by for a bite at lunch or dinner. If after visiting our restaurant you feel like you need to burn some calories, the onsite fitness centre as well as our indoor swimming pool will be at your disposal. If you prefer to relax in your room before hitting the town or don't feel like checking out any of the nearby restaurants, feel free to order room service from our front desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Choice Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Clarion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Sudbury Hotel Sudbury
- Sudbury Days Inn
- Clarion Hotel Sudbury, Ontario