“some problems”

Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
TIMMINS
“some problems”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Good location, good service, but these problems: In the first room they put me in, the phone and the heat lamp didn't work, plus it didn't have a fridge -- I'd specifically booked a room with a fridge I complained and they put me up in another room -- problem solved, except the shower drain didn't work. By that time, I was just tired of complaining...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank BENTimmins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We just found the overall appearance tired. They took a small room and packed as much into it as possible. However, the rate did reflect the age of the building. We were suppose to have a fridge in the room but it was absent. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Barrie
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel is very clean, with great staff! The continental breakfast is nice, and the building is quiet. You must be aware that there is a one-way street near this hotel, and it is in the downtown core (which may or may not be convenient). Parking is easier if you park across the street, rather than the few spots available behind the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a business trip at the Best Western... had medium expectations from the reviews I've read. Location is good if you have business downtown. It was very central and convenient. The parking is included and is convenient also.

As I arrived, "Christine" was at the front desk... and she was on the phone as another patron and I waited to check in. Five minutes later (literally) she got off the phone... BUT not before she had HUNG up by accident on the person that she was speaking with (and it was a personal call) as she immediately called her back!!!

That was a HUGE turnoff.

The room itself was adequate. Standard amenities... a couple of bottles of waters would have been nice, but oh well.

The second day I was there, I returned from my meeting at 3:00pm to the hotel. My room was NOT made yet. The room service lady heard me coming in and knocked on my door to apologize that they had a girl call in sick and that there were only two of them working that day. Needing a nap, I just asked for towel changes and that was it. Understandable to be understaffed... I suppose?

Breakfast... muffins, donuts, yogurt, oranges (no other fruits) and hard boiled eggs. I was there at 6:30am and was told by the front desk that coffee would not be served until 7:15am (for whatever reason). I'm not a coffee drinker... but if I was... I would not be pleased.

Overall, I was not thrilled with the service or breakfast... however, being that I was on a business trip and not there with family or on vacation... I would go back if there was another deal.

Room Tip: I was in room 302. Far enough away from the elevators and RIGHT across from the fitness room... whic...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vayne
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A great place to lay your head and have a wonderful nights sleep. The front desk staff are extremely helpful and seem to really value your business. I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay in Sudbury, although we were only passing through, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was top notch, the staff is wonderful, and the rooms are great with the best bed I have ever slept in. The breakfast for my particular taste was lacking, they had no plain oatmeal and very few options for those not eating meat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Read the reviews. Choose another Hotel Downtown or expect problems! Way overpriced, they often doublebook rooms and they frankly don't care. I know I'm a business travellor and have stayed at almost every Hotel in Downtown Sudbury. They overcharged a client of our business last year for a an extra days stay and I swore we would never use Best Western again bit we had a last minute booking. Guess what the management charged my credit card again an extra nite. They refused to refund the fees the terms and said they were too busy to look into it and we should go elsewhere. Unbelievably rude and dishonest. The room had no mini fridge as promised, needs painting and is in a bad part of own with loud partying and derelicts. The hotel does not have enough parking spots for guests, the restaurant is closed during the day and I could go on. The lobby sure looks nice and the front desk staff are friendly when you can find them but they will ignore any problems. Avoid this place and watch your credit card charges!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business