“First and Last”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“First and Last”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The food at my table was horrible. The cut of meat on one of the steaks was so fatty, it was inedible. The baked potatoes was not fully cooked and so cold that it wouldn't melt the frozen butter. My spouse ate the pork tenderloin and it was over cooked, dry and cold. When our waitress FINALLY came around to check on us, we sent the tenderloin back and advised her that our food was cold she got so defensive and was very rude to us. She was so rude to us that when she left the room, people from the two other tables told us not to worry because they weren't satisfied with the food or her service either. We could actually hear the waitress and chef/cook swearing at each other when the tenderloin went back to the kitchen. The entire experience was lousy and it's too bad because I like to support local businesses and I heard good things about this place.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mizzjody

DRTYA
“One of the best burgers ever”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Been looking for the perfect burger n mayl have found it finally ! Went twice in a week. First I tried the peanut butter one (without bacon) n t wad amazing. Second time tried the almond n pecan one n was as good. Agree that the goat cheese maybe excessive but they Dont spread it n rather give u the choice. Not only is their innovation in choosing the topings great n creative but the burgers r actually perfect, beef n patty n all. Also had the coconut shrimp starter n found it superb. All with excellent service n nice atmosphere. Even better, burgers 12$ only!

Sudbury
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We left the restaurant feeling as though we overpaid, for sub-par food that the pleasant service couldn't make up for. The cooking staff should ensure that salad greens are fresh prior to sending a salad out to the table. Wilted, evidently old, brown-edged lettuce greens in a $9 cesar salad is unacceptable in any restaurant (especially one whose aesthetic and prices lead one to believe that comparable food will follow). Two tough strips of bacon topped my partner's day-old looking salad, that were impossible to cut with a butter knife, and were evidently pre-cooked and anything but fresh. I would suggest leaving the deconstructed approach to the wayside and focus on food quality instead. I have had grocery store pre-made salads that used fresher, crisper lettuce and bacon.

The carbonara was soupy in texture, not thick and creamy with crispy pancetta like I rightfully expected. The sauce was so thin it tasted as though I was eating plain pasta, the sauce having slipped off with each bite. The pancetta came in a large unappealing chunk of meat. This dish was a waste of a hard-earned $15.

The draught beer selection was another disappointment, as the beer we would have selected (of only two, albeit local brews) was not even available that night.

Based on this dining experience, I cannot believe this place remains open. Great location, and pleasant ambiance, but both will not accomodate for dissatisfactory food quality. I am surprised to read positive reviews here because with so many misses during one dining experience, it's hard to believe that this was just an off night for the Hourglass.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank lovestodine2012
Sudbury, Canada
“Birthday dinner with friends”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just attended a 50th Birthday dinner for one of our best friends and her family at the Hour Glass. This was my first visit to this restaurant but I can say it won't be my last. The menu had good variety and they provided a good selection of gluten free dishes. The food was very flavorful with good presentation. Our server was quick and very friendly, overall a very enjoyable evening with friends and I look forward to our next visit.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Marc R
Waterloo, Canada
“Lots of flavour”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Four friends and I enjoyed good dinners picked off of a creative menu. Many items have a unique twist on the common fare served at other restaurants. The blackened catfish with pico de gallo and guacamole was excellent. I'll probably go back for some of the interesting hamburger combinations.

• Visited October 2012