“Disappointing! ”

JD Southern Smokehouse
Ranked #72 of 423 Restaurants in Sudbury
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went there for dinner last night. Waited for 20 minutes before we were noticed. Chef must have been having a bad night. I had the clubhouse, meat was cooked to death, potato wedges over salted . My wife ordered Mac & cheese, so greasy she had to send it back. In fairness they took it off the bill. They have changed their menu - yet again and removed a lot of our favourites. I don’t mean this to be a total condemnation of the place. Been there a few times and this was the first bas experience. We will try them again.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (10)

Reviewed August 20, 2019 via mobile

We talked to lots of friends and no one had tried this place yet so we decided to try it and boy are we glad we did. Really good food reasonably priced. I will definitely return

Reviewed August 18, 2019

Kind of disappointed after reading all of the rave reviews about this restaurant beforehand, and then eating here. The food had no smoke flavour whatsoever, and/or any flavour at all. The decor and presentation of the food was nice, which came with a price (of the meals themselves). Secondly, the service wasn't very good. There were only 2 waitresses serving the entire restaurant, and it was busy. Lastly, if you are truly a southern BBQ, smoked-food connoisseur, like my husband and I, who have enjoyed many TRUE southern Ontario, and United States smoke-house restaurants, then you should not eat here. You would be very disappointed.

Reviewed August 15, 2019 via mobile

Just had lunch here. Today’s feature was a burger with smoked Gouda, bacon, BBQ ranch with smoked coleslaw and baked beans. Absolutely delicious. Service was good. Staff very friendly and answered all our questions. Will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed August 12, 2019 via mobile

Was there with family for dinner. Two of us had the pulled pork sandwich which was very good and the other the Nashville Po Boy. Everyone agreed there mains were very good.

For sides I had the jalapeno cheddar cornbread and the brown beans. The beans were the best of the two. The others had the soup which we all tried and agreed was not very good. The other side ordered was Mac and Cheese and it was good.

One negative was the men's washroom. During my meal I glanced up and someone had left the door open and I could see the person standing at the urinal. Not the most appetizing site. The washroom is small and should be changed to be a single person with a closure that forces the door shut.

Based on the food I would return the despite "the view".