“Nice choice for family stopover”

Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed one night as a stopover en route to a cottage vacation in northern Ontario. Great amenities in the large suite with kitchenette. Our 8 year old son enjoyed the pool. The building and surrounding property are well-maintained. The suite was very clean. The location was excellent with a gourmet grocery store across the road and lots of family dining options close by.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear BrittaniaBay,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to take advantage of all of the amenities we have to offer here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Sudbury. Thank you for taking notice of our surroundings! We have had to work extra hard this year to keep our flowers looking nice with all the hot weather. My staff will definately appreciate your kind words!

We hope you and your family had a great vacation at the cottage and we look forward to having you stay with us again. If we can provide any additional information or assist with future reservations, do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We planned on visiting Sudbury, to visit Science North as a family. Homewood was easy to find, right off the highway, very close to Science North, retail and restaurants (Canadian Tire, Swiss Chalet, Caseys and can’t forget a Timmy’s in close proximity). The Hotel was absolutely wonderful and the rooms were by far the best I have seen in a while. Our 2 bedroom suite had dishwasher, kitchen appliances, fridge, 3 TVs and a lot of amenities (astonished by the kitchen detail). The pool and exercise facility were in excellent condition. We recently visited Ottawa for 3 days and joked that we wished there was a Homewood in every location we went to similar to the one in Sudbury. Homewood, and the people, definitely gave us a great impression of Sudbury. Next time we will stay longer! They really made you feel like you were at home and, to our surprise, handled any minor issues with extreme care and effort. The complimentary breakfast was a bonus; as the quality was excellent and probably better than some of the restaurants in the area (kids loved it – a win). We did not get a chance to visit Dynamic Earth and some of the other sites in Sudbury, due to such a short stay; however the hotel made it worth the drive from Toronto. So we plan on visiting again, to see Dynamic Earth with the family, and will make Homewood our new 2nd home, up north. A definite value for the price and my hats off to the Manager and staff at Homewood; we will see you again. If you are looking for somewhere to stay look no further!

Room Tip: As a family, choose the 2 Bedroom suite (2 King Beds, 2 washrooms and a family room area). You reall...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Manny J,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. We are very excited that you loved our property and were able to take advantage of all the amenities we have to offer. I have passed on your kind words to our team members as I truly believe that our staff members are responsible for creating the amazing atmosphere here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Sudbury. We are happy we helped create some amazing family memories!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

After returning from a week long road trip with my family, I had to inform others. We stayed two nights in Sudbury at the Homewood suites. We've stayed at other Homewood's in Cambridge and one other place I can't recall. The rooms are more than ample and clean, staff here was great-especially Maya at the front desk. We chose Homewood specifically from our other experiences. The problem arose when I came home and checked our credit card balance. When leaving the hotel we debited our stay-expecting the hold to come off of our card, which we only use for holding rooms. Imagine my surprise when, not only is the charge going to be kept there for up to 5 days after I've paid, they also put almost $100 extra on it for "incidentals" they assume you're going to use! This may not seem like a big deal, but I've NEVER had this happen at any other accommodation before-including luxury resorts and other Homewood suites. The interest is still accumulating on the credit card until they remove it-should be removed IMMEDIATELY. I will be checking twice before I book with Homewood again, if I ever do.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ccripps
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear ccrips,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to connect with staff members as we strive daily to make our guests feel at home.

Our policy at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Sudbury is that a valid credit card is need to check into the hotel. The method of payment can definately be changed to another method upon check out, but when a guest checks into the hotel the credit card they provide is authorized for room and tax and a percentage for incidentals. This is not a charge on the credit card, it is only a hold, letting us know that if the guest chooses to use their credit card to complete payment that there are funds available to cover the costs. This authorization does not accumulate interest. In my opinion, this is standard practice at most hotels.

Jackie, our property accountant, did speak with you yesterday to explain the situation and even went as far as calling your credit card company, who in fact, decides how long the hold stays on your credit card, to try and release the amount being held. Because of privacy issues she was unable to discuss the matter with the CSR at the credit card company and called you back immediately to let you know the results of her call.

I apologize that this experience has soured your opinion of our hotel. I urge you to remember the great service and large, clean rooms here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Sudbury and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are like mini apartments. Fridge, mini stove, dishwasher with dishes were all included in our room. DVD player and a little shop downstairs for snacks and DVD rentals. Great, clean rooms. Would stay here again. Would recommend this as a long term stay hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
KristinaPardaens, Manager at Homewood Suites Sudbury Ontario, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Rennie A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. We look forward to having you stay with us again. If we can provide any additional information or assist with future reservations, do not hesitate to contact me.

Manager

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Went to Sudbury to research "cheap quick getaways from Toronto" for my travel clients. Selected this hotel because of its rating, 2 bedroom suites, complimentary breakfasts & light dinners (Mon - Thu).

Location was great....close to the highway as well as close to Science North and Dynamic Earth. All kinds of stores nearby....Swiss Chalet, Pizza Hut, Tim Horton's, Canadian Tire and other stores/restaurants all within walking distance to hotel.

2 bedroom suite was $299/night. 1 King bed and bathroom in each bedroom. Double pull-out sofa bed. Full size fridge, stovetop, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, utensils/plates, free wi-fi, etc. A/C was good....1 in each bedroom and main living area with separate thermostats for each. Flat screen TV in each bedroom as well as main living area. DVD player in the main living area, too.

Breakfast was good. Cereal, toasts/bagels/English muffins, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, fresh fruit salad, fresh whole fruit, plus a different main dish each day (we saw scrambled eggs 1 day, French toast the next day and Eggs Benedict on another morning) and different sides each day (home fries/shredded potatoes and bacon/peameal bacon/sausage). The hot selections were OK....not great. A bit dry/overcooked.

The Manager's Specials were OK, too. Hamburgers, potatoes and macaroni salad one day. Potato crusted cod, steamed veggies, potatoes and cole slaw another night and chicken tenders, potatoes and garlic breadsticks on another night. Would have appreciated a salad/veggies on the last night. They post the month's dinners on your fridge in your room and it looked like the other nights' dinners were much more appealing. Definitely adds value to your stay at this hotel.

Breakfast/dinner area is large, very clean and had more than adequate seating. A Business Centre is in a separate room within the breakfast/dinner area.

Didn't use the gym but took a look at it. Nice, clean, a good variety of equipment.

Pool is smallish but clean. Most times we were there, no one else was in the pool. Pool room always had a good supply of clean pool towels available.

Had a few very minor issues with the room and left a note with the front desk staff outlining them (hair dryer didn't work properly, broken temperature knob in the fridge so it froze everything inside, broken powder lid in the dishwasher, some stains on the rug, start of some mould in the bathrooms).

Overall, would definitely recommend this hotel to my clients when staying in Sudbury.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear TorontoOntario,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. I am so glad to see that you were able to take advantage of all the added amenities we have to offer, from breakfast to dinner and even our pool. We look forward to having you stay with us again. If we can provide any additional information or assist with future reservations, do not hesitate to contact me.

kristina.pardaens@ hilton.com

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Staff,cleanliness,location,room size, meals are all 5 star. 2nd time I have stayed here, and as consistent as the 1st time! Well done to the staff and management.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Garth B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. We are so pleased that not only have your stays been great but that our service has been consistent! My team and I strive to make sure every stay receives the same high level of customer service that you would expect from a Hilton property. We look forward to having you stay with us again. If we can provide any additional information or assist with future reservations, do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I chose this hotel since it is conveniently located on the Southern edge of Sudbury right off of the main highway through the area. My stay was only for a night, but the quality of the room made me wish it was for longer.

The staff was incredibly polite and friendly. As I was checking in the woman made genuine small talk and gave many suggestions for activities around the area. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try any of them, but the thought was appreciated. The staff also pushes an invoice through the bottom of your door overnight so that you can review it in the morning before you go down to checkout which I haven't seen before and thought was a great idea. The woman who helped me checkout was also extremely friendly and courteous.

Breakfast was excellent. They serve a hot buffet that appears to change day to day. The morning that I was there they were serving scrambled eggs with chives, Canadian bacon, and home-fried tatters. There was also a good selection of fruits, breads, pastries, beverages, and so forth.

I was in one of their King Studio suites which must have been close to 600 sq. ft. It had a full-sized fridge, a small stove top, a dishwasher, sink, coffee maker, etc... Overkill for my needs, but a very comfortable room. The bed was great, bathroom was large as well with a huge shower. The AC unit did a great job cooling the room down and was controlled by a thermostat that you had full control over. I felt as comfortable there as I do in my home.

Also, the location is fantastic. No foot or vehicle traffic to disturb you, Canadian Tire store + gas station, Tim Horton's, and a bunch of restaurants were right across the road. I'd recommend checking out a place called Pluckers in that area, it was great.

All in all it was a great stay, I'd definitely come back if I'm in the area again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the side of the hotel facing Regent St. and it was perfectly quiet, so I don't think...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear Mr. Until_It_Sleeps

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is only through comments and suggestions from guests, such as yourself, that we can continue to improve. My team and I are so proud that you enjoyed your stay. We strive hard on a daily basis to make you feel at home and it looks like we succeeded. I am so glad you that you were able to take advantage of our amenities, like our buffet breakfast...next time I hope you get to try our French toast soufflé....it's to die for! We look forward to having you stay with us again. If we can provide any additional information or assist with future reservations, do not hesitate to contact me.