“A Lovely Hotel, I enjoyed my stay.”

Hampton Inn Sudbury
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Was on a business trip recently and we stopped for the night at the Hampton Inn in Sudbury. Check in was a breeze and there was always coffee (decaf, regular and bold) as well as tea and hot chocolate available at all times in the lobby. The evening they had a bowl of fruit (bananas and apples) to help yourself.

The room was your standard room with 2 queen beds that looked and were comfortable, a writing desk, a flat screen television, a closet, and bathroom with a tub and shower attachment. The room was very clean and they offered wireless service as well which was great! The great thing is that the Hampton will provide you with a razor, shaving cream, toothbrush and toothpaste if you forget yours and it's complementary.

Also there is a small gym and a standard size indoor pool which I did use and it was lovely to go for a quick swim before bed.

The Hampton also includes a limited but lovely hot and cold breakfast buffet of muffins, cereals, eggs, bacon, bagels and make your own waffles. Some fruit and yogurt as well. Again, this is included in your night stay. As well, when you check out they have breakfast bags to take along with you with a muffin (Sara Lee), a fruit (apple), bottled water and a granola bar.

I have to say it was a lovely stay!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had booked this hotel on University move-in weekend. We stopped by the university first to drop off all our son's stuff at his rez room then went to check in. This was 6:30 p.m. Check-in Time is 3 p.m. There were no rooms ready. There were approximately four other families waiting for a room. I found this very annoying and frustrating. When I expressed to the hotel clerk that check in is 3 p.m. she curtly told me that is when check in begins but it is not guaranteed. I have never been told this before and found it a tad ridiculous. She then gave me a song and dance how they only had two housekeepers on and they just didn't have the rooms cleaned yet. I suggested that the hotel knows what their reservations are for the night and that housekeeping staff should be brought in accordingly. Anyways....we waited til after 7 for our room with no apologies and no offer of any sort of compensation. When we checked out at 10 a.m. the next morning we weren't asked how our stay was. The hotel itself was fine. Clean. Breakfast was good although a few things were running low and not being replaced until people asked.
If you had somewhere you had to be at a certain time, it could be a real problem if your room is not ready...especially so long after "official" check in time.
I also found it interesting that when we got home that night about 10 p.m. our daughter thought she had left something in our room. She called the hotel and they were very accomodating and went up to the room to look. They picked up the call in the room and said it hadn't been cleaned yet....we had checked out at 10 a.m. that day and it was now 10 p.m. I smell a management issue.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed at the Hampton while taking a weekend trip to visit the Sudbury science centres. This was my first time staying overnight in Sudbury so I spent a lot of time reading the reviews and choosing which hotel to stay at - I was looking for a clean place with a swimming pool and a free breakfast. The Hampton was having a weekend sale and had everything I was looking for, so I booked for two nights and from the moment we checked in, I knew we had made the right choice! There was complimentary coffee in the lobby (medium, dark, decaf, also hot water for the tea and hot chocolate packets) which was a great perk being able to grab a free coffee on the way in and out of the hotel each day. The rooms are well-furnished, our room had two comfortable queen beds, plenty of pillows, a dresser, night stand, desk with HS Internet, and two sets of drapes (sheer and blackout). The bathroom was bright and spacious, lots of towels. Our room was on the 4th of 5 floors (the 5th floor was reserved for a wedding party) and gave a view of some of the local restaurants and shopping centres. The swimming pool was good for a family swim with young children, ranging from 3 - 5 feet depth. During our stay we used the pool three times: twice we shared with another family, once we had it all to ourselves. Two small complaints about the pool: 1) by evening the towels at the poolside had run out and we had to ask the front desk to replenish, and 2) there was no separate shower/change area for the pool like at other hotels I've visited; the shower was just on a wall on the deck at poolside. There was a complimentary breakfast buffet that was one of the best I've had at a hotel - three hot items that rotate daily (Sunday morning was sausage patties, scrambled eggs with ham and cheese, and seasoned home fries; Monday morning was crisp bacon, western omelette, and baked beans). Also offered is make-your-own waffles (batter and waffle iron provided), yogurt, cereal selection, fresh fruit and mixed fruit salad, bagels, muffins, milk, coffee, and a variety of juices. One of the other reviewers here commented that the breakfast tasted processed, so maybe it's improved since then because I just thought it tasted flavourful! (The only item I did not enjoy much was the mixed fruit salad, it looked great, but didn't taste very good). The breakfast was very filling and kept us going so that we only had to buy a very light lunch at the science centres and could splurge on nice dinners at the nearby family restaurants (East Side Mario's across the street was great!) The cleaning staff was very friendly, the front desk was average, and the breakfast room staff were very efficient at keeping everything stocked up - even with the huge wedding crowd on Sunday morning. The breakfast room itself is very nicely decorated, with a variety of seating options, and a TV. My biggest complaint is that they do not have a mini-fridge in the rooms. We had brought back some leftover pizza from the nearby Pizza Hut and had to keep it chilled on an ice tray from the ice machine because our room did not have a fridge. The complaints are minor though, and overall, I had a great stay and would recommend to others. The rate was reasonable, and the free breakfast and 24-hour coffee bar helped us to save money on our trip as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank devoted2denny
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Our room was not ready by 4:30 check in. The front desk staff was curt and not helpful. We had to go for an early supper, even though our baby needed a nap. The pool was too deep in the shallow end for our 5 year old to stand by himself. The windows in our room were caked with scum and finger prints. The disappointments just kept accumulating. We would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank momBarrie
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is probably one of the best hotels in Sudbury and if you had asked me prior to our check-out, I would've said it was the number one hotel. The room was great, cleaning staff was awesome & helpful and while the pool was cold and a little dirty (lots of hair on the deck), I would still say it was okay. However, when I went to check out, the lady there was SO unfriendly that it just left a bad taste in my mouth. There was no asking "how was your stay" or even any small talk at all. I really expect a lot more from the Hampton when their service is normally so great. I thought the Homewood & Hampton were pretty much interchangeable but I think I would go back to the Homewood next time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lilac7272
Reviewed February 4, 2010

The price was more than we normally would pay for a room, but we received a discount due to a "January Sale" so we thought we would try it out. I cannot think of one fault - our expectations were exceeded in every regard. Highlights include the room layout and decor with a desk, king bed and a jacuzzi - great after our challenging day of cross country skiing. A leisurely self serve breakfast in the morning was highly enjoyable with lots of quality food. I appreciated the quiet nights sleep.

My wife and I discussed squatting there and never leaving, but we had to get back to our cats as they would run out of food in a few days.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scrunchkin
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We stayed at the Hampton on a weekend trip to Sudbury. I was disappointed to find that they do not provide a fridge or microwave, which made things hard for as, as we had our 5-month old daughter with us. Our room was clean, the decor was fine, and the sheets were nice...but quite frankly, we could have had all of those things at the Super-8 for half the cost. Also...the bathroom tissue was something akin to sandpaper, which is a bit disappointing in a hotel that calls itself upscale. Lastly, the televeision was very small...not what we've been used to with hotels in this price range.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family