“A Stratford favourite. Always filled with locals.”
Review of Madelyn's Diner

Madelyn's Diner
Ranked #37 of 140 Restaurants in Stratford
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Good choice for hangover breakfast. The food isn't always consistent, but it's never so bad that it's unforgivable. I rarely stray from the Eggs Benny which consists of spicy home fries, 2 occasionally over-cooked poached eggs, Canadian bacon on English muffin and hollandaise.

One of Justin Beiber's favourite home town restaurants (if that means anything to you).

Reviewed September 11, 2011

The floor was filthy and the food inedible. I ordered a cheese omelet which was thin and flat and leathery, fried in stale oil, and tasted as though it had dried out and then was slightly reheated. The home fries were worse -- they had been fried to a frazzle in more stale oil then re- heated. I could not eat any of this, went 200 yards up the street and dined at Tim Hortons.
I saw some US cars in the parking lot and am worried that they may have been attracted by some previous reviews.

2  Thank nodummies
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This was a decent place to have a breakfast. My omlette was tasty and the potatoes were yummy. My veggie omlette came with asparagus which was a nice surprise. On the down side, both the asparagus and the onions were boiled rather than sauteed which is why I scored this average rather than very good. They offer very nice sides (a whole grilled tomato was served to an adjacent table.) The coffee was so-so.

The place is very busy and tightly packed so if you don't like small spaces, skip this diner.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

I read about Madelyn's on tripadvisor and since we were spending an overnight in Stratford decided to slide over for breakfast. Aside from the fact that my GPS showed it on the opposite corner it is very easy to find. We also had the privilege of meeting Madelyn and her daughter (our server) as we told her that we had found her restaurant on tripadvisor and she was curious and pleased and wanted top know more.

This is your basic diner whose sole purpose is to serve great food to their clientele. Madelyn's does a fantastic job delivering on this objective. Although we only had breakfast we would definitely return for a full dinner in the future.

Service friendly, helpful and attentive. Food excellent. I had the peameal bacon breakfast and the eggs were done perfect with just that little bit of crisp before being turned over easy. The bacon tasty but not overly salty a plus with my high blood pressure plus there were 5 pieces making it shareable with my companion. My partner's special, an omlette of swiss cheese and asparagus was done to perfection as well. The coffe bottomless cup was excellent and you had a selection of breads for toast including rye.

Overall we were delighted with this restaurant and would definitely revisit again next time probably to try out their dinners. They have a number of awards from locals for both breakfast and fish and chips posted on the walls and this is obviously one of those local haunts as the wait staff seemed to know many of their patrons.

A very nice addition was the wonderful butter tarts that Madelyn bakes herself. Do not let the price per scare you off these are mini pies and well worth the $2.50 price tag. I just ate the last one from our half dozen yesterday so they keep well also which would suggest they are extremely fresh when you buy them.

Definitely on our revisit radar and we will be back in mid September.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

We've been coming to Stratford each summer for about 15 years, and we always eat here at least twice during our stay...last week we ate there 3 days in a row. It's only about 5 minutes outside of the tourist area by car, and easy to get to.

The servers are friendly and helpful, the food is delicious and plentiful...I especially love whatever soup is on for the day because you can tell it was made from scratch.

The "special" each day seems to be a regular menu item which is about $1 off. Yesterday I got the fish on a bun which included a big hunk of hand-battered cod, slaw, choice of potatoes and soup for $8.95. I was too full for dessert so I took a butter tart home for later.

My other favorite is the sausage w/ kraut.

Love love love Madelyn's Diner!

1  Thank TommyBear