“Glad we found it”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We decided to try the Annex Room last Saturday night after checking the menu board as we walked by - we were actually headed to Foster's. Annex was a nice change of pace. We found it more than satisfactory. Delicious bread with olive oil and roasted garlic. Soup of the day was roasted red pepper and cauliflower; it was excellent and, while rich, not exceedingly so. We quite enjoyed it. We shared the Thai Crunch Salad and the Asian Mango Salmon - both excellent. We also had a recommended beer - it was so-so, should have had wine instead. We were a little disappointed in the berry desert; it was too hot - maybe a bit too long in the microwave? And rather small and uninspired. Otherwise, an entirely acceptable meal. We will return.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had dinner at the Annex Restaurant a number of times and always found it okay. The price, location (close to the Avon Theatre) and atmosphere worked for us.

We had tickets to see 'Tommy' and decided to make a reservation in advance. We arrived a bit early and the restaurant was almost full.

Both of us ordered coffee and the soup of the day (roasted red pepper and cauliflower). My husband ordered one of the specials (stuffed chicken breast) and I ordered the Annex Pizza.

Before our order arrived we were offered fresh, in-house baked bread and roasted garlic. Both of us had two slices of bread and finished the roasted garlic.

Our roasted red pepper and cauliflower soup was puréed and it was quite good. There was a bit of a wait for our main course but that was okay since we weren't in a hurry.

The stuffed chicken breast was very good and my pizza was okay. Actually, the thin crust pizza at Pazzo is much better. My pizza (10” diameter) had six small slices but I could only eat half. And that's too bad because I love pizza.

The problem was the free Hors d'oeuvre -- roasted garlic and bread with some olive oil. A restaurant that seems to specialize in pizza should really re-think their practice of offering slices of bread before the meal. No wonder I couldn't finish the pizza. After two slices of bread and a puréed soup I was almost full. For those who order pizza they really should offer a less filling Hors d'oeuvr. Perhaps a small plate of olives or cherry tomatoes or something similar would be more appropriate.

They have an open kitchen which I always enjoy. Unfortunately, although there is a flame, their oven is not wood fired. Our server was friendly and the restaurant was clean and tidy.

1  Thank kanadai
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were looking for a restaurant for lunch before an afternoon performance at one of the theaters in this lovely town. We wandered the streets and found a number of the restaurants recommended to us or well rated on various sites closed for the day or opening later. We spotted this restaurant across the street and checked its menu board. Having been rated the 3rd best restaurant in town we thought we would give it a try. We were seated immediately and the service was friendly, the restaurant only about 25% full. We were presented with the menu and the waiter soon returned for our order. The tomato basil soup was excellent and served hot and promptly. We then waited for some time for our entree, about 20 minutes. We heard the second server in the room tell another table they were short staffed so maybe that explained the delay. The club house sandwich was ok but the bread was dry and it arrived on a completely bare plate looking quite lost. A bit of garnish would have done a lot to pick up the presentation. The Mediterranean linguine had lots of sauce but was short on the artichokes and olives described on the menu. Prices were reasonable at about $15 to $20. The soup was included with the sandwich. Over all there was nothing outstanding or remarkable about the restaurant, decidedly average.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We visited this lovely restaurant while in Stratford recently and I know we will be back. It is in a building which does not inspire the visual sense but once you get in and seated, you realize you have found something terrific.
We each had one of their pizzas and if you have nothing else, you must try these. The crust was perfect and the overall taste of the toppings was amazing. Ingredients were so fresh! We also shared a Thai Crunch salad but I assure you that next time we will each get our own. It's too good to share.
And what can I say about the Asian Pear Martini except to say that I had two!
Service was friendly and helpful and the place itself has a lovely atmosphere considering that it is in a basement.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went with friends and it was mixed reviews. My husband had the crab and asparagus soup which he sent back. Said it was tasteless. The Thai Crunch salad is a favourite of everyones......
The seafood cakes were enjoyed and my pizza was passable but our friend loved the Mediterranean one.