“EXCELLENT STAFF, NEW, CLEAN, and RELAXING EXPERIENCE!”
Review of Majer's Motel

Majer's Motel
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Hamilton, Canada
“EXCELLENT STAFF, NEW, CLEAN, and RELAXING EXPERIENCE!”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Upon registering we had nothing but a welcoming experience. The staff were great even when I had to call around 11pm for extra pillows and soap with that I got them in two minutes!! The room that we stayed in was very clean and the carpet and the furnishings looked very new. The shower had good water pressure and the tub was shined clean. We loved the outdoor pool and that was totally relaxing. The atmosphere of the motel inside and outside was very peaceful and enjoyable. We will definitely stay here again next time we are in Stratford.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2010

A great price for a great motel! clean rooms, speedy room service, easy to find and a fun pool! quiet place but easy to get to downtown Stratford. i highly recommend staying here when visiting Stratford Ontario and area.

• Stayed July 2010
southfield, mi
Reviewed July 5, 2010

These people operate a clean, pleasant place. We've booked the larger room as it has an enclosed cabinet to hang clothes, etc. and large counter in bathroom. Coffee and tea are avail. upon signing in and orange juice and large delicious muffins are avail. with coffee or tea every morning in their dining room. This is a mom and pop operation. Mrs. Bajwa, a warm, welcoming lady, registers guests. She was very attentive to our needs and was quick to provide an extra pillow, and immediately upon being phoned came down to our room to show us how to operate the air-conditioning. It is conveniently located on Ontario, the main street to everything in Stratford, The rate makes this motel the best value in Stratford.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
ontario
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed here for a ball tournament with our teens. We found that the staff was pleasant and the rooms clean. The motel was resonably priced for the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I guess that it does pay to check out a place before you go in after all! such was the case very recently when late one night, I checked into Majer's Motel in Stratford, Ontario.
I was dog-tired at around 10:30pm, and needed a place to sleep before returning home. My thinking was that this being Stratford, a theatre town, anywhere would be okay. I was not expecting a rat-bag motel!

Flies, flies and more flies-all provided free of charge! why, they even provided afree fly-swatter in pastel orange in the desk-drawer to enhance your fly-hunting experience! I mean, who needs to actually sleep, right?!
Then there was the non-locking window, big enough to allow Ali Baba to spirit you away whilst you slumbered if you you were actaually able to sleep for worrying about being broken into.

Don't worry about the heat this time of year; I guarantee you that with the 1950's era heating unit, you could could dry out cod-fish overnight, and even add to to global-warming if you opened the window to let out the dessicating inferno into the atmosphere.

Free food is also provided-mine was cat-kibble under the bed where the vacuum-clener had missed it, along with all the dust-bunnies that had been multiplying there for years from the looks of it. This is assuming that this motel actually has a vacumm-cleaner; perhaps they use a broom.

You also tell that this particular romm had been booked often, or perhaps just one night by a team of Alberta oil-rig workers: You could see their hand smudges all over the door and wall, perhaps trying to keep the police from getting in?

The bed was "crunchy"; the way that I like my breakfast-cereal, but not my mattress, please!

I enjoyed the loose lampshades and light-fixtures too, they give you something to do like trying to tighten them at 3:30 am when you can't sleep anyway for fear of joining Ali Baba's gang; involuntarily that is.

The shears were handy too, for the flies to hide behind and buzz all night long, but don't worry!, they came down right onto the floor when you went to investigate tthe little buzzers!
The "Aroma" of the suffocating broom-closet room really invoked a sense of nostalgia: The dirty-thirties and "The Grapes of Wrath"!

I do want to conclude with telling you that I would recommend this motel to you-to steer clear; however, I DID recommend it to the local county Health Department in town to check out for themselves. I will always remember this D.U.M.P. ( Definite Upkeep Maintenance Problems) - the headache which lasted for two days following ensured that.

Oh, by the way, I do wish the male staff-member who checked me to get well from his coughing spasms and wheezing!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank RonfromToronto
eastpointe, mi
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I stayed at Majer's Motel in Stratford Ontario with six of my friends for one night, and even the one night was pretty poor. The carpeting was stained, the bathroom floor dirty, towels were awful, the rooms all smelled musty, the door locks were very old and flimsy, it smelled like someone had been smoking in the rooms even though they were shown as no smoking on the doors. The motel is overdue for a total overhaul! It was so bad that none of us even took a shower in the rooms. The rooms promised hair dryers, but there were none to be found. There was coffee available, but the coffee room and lobby also smelled of old cooking food.

On the plus side, the bedding was clean, and my mattress appeared to be fairly new. I took the extra step to check the mattress in light of the recurrence of bed bugs, and found it to be rather new and clean. The location is good if you are going to Stratford to shop and see a play... it's a short drive to the theatres and restaurants and shops. It was also fairly quiet, but the walls are very thin. Also, some of the people occupying the rooms are rather unsavory looking.

I will NEVER stay here again, and would not recommend this place to anyone visiting Stratford.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank msp22999
Devon
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Stayed one night at this motel. It is situated on the outskirts of the pretty town of Stratford. Set off the main road with farming land at the rear. Heard the train twice before we went to sleep but not through the night.

Room very spacious with a fridge and good size bathroom which the owners have tried to up date. Sink still looks old. Shower was excellent and the towels soft and newish. Some of the furnishings were old and need replacing, but the bed and linen were fresh and clean and we got a good nights sleep.

We only met one member of staff who was pleasant and helpful. In the grounds there is a garden and swimming pool, but we had no time to use these. You need a car to drive into town, however there are eateries within walking distance (although quite a busy road) including a Chinese restaurant next door.

We paid $83.25 inc. taxes, so for the money we thought it was good value compared to others in the locality. There is a Tim Hortons eatery for breakfast if you are on a budget near by.

I would stay again for a few nights, but it is not the type of place to stay for a week or more in my opinion.

• Liked — spacious room, comfortable bed and value for money
  • Disliked — some furishings require replacing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple