Review Highlights
Play..... The Merry Wives of Windsor

Well acted Shakespeare comedy! Theatre is circular and not c a bad seat in the house. Great... read more

Reviewed today
steved560
Marysville, Michigan
via mobile
Sisters reunion

For our annual reunion, this year we were at Stratford. We took in Billy Elliot. Fantastic show... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
AnneA1042
via mobile

1,980 results
All reviews chorus line world class theatre top notch first rate singing and dancing wonderful theatre high school live theatre avon river theatre experience many years last year no bad seats tom patterson high quality thrust stage fiddler
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful plays. Great sets and staging. Impressive actors. Wonderful time. Studio is a very small theatre. Whole thing must be Great seats

1  Thank OntarioFoodie1974
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My friend and I spent the weekend at the Stratford Festival in mid August. We did a number of things, so I'll break them down:

The Billy Elliot Dance Workshop
This is the main reason I picked this weekend. To actually learn some choreography from the cast was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. My friend had no dance experience, but I do, so we weren't sure what level this would be. Fortunately, when we arrived, we realized there was participants from 5 years old, right up to people in their 70s. The experience was geared to everyone. I was able to pick up the choreography quickly, while my friend got the basics. Considering this is my favourite show, it was truly an amazing experince to be able to participate and feel closer to the show. This event alone was worth the whole trip.

Billy Elliot
I have seen many productions of Billy Elliot, from London to Broadway, Madrid to Mexico City. This is one of the very best productions I've seen. The entire production is breathtaking. The cast is incredibly talented, the sets and costumes are great, the experience of sitting in a round theatre with the cast right in front of you is so immersive. Nolen Dubuc is a wonderfully talented actor and dancer. This is a show no one should miss.
I only wish they would take the tour across Canada once it finishes at Stratford

Set Changeover
We just added this on since it was not expensive, and would give us something to do after seeing Billy Elliot. It ended up being really interesting! We got to sit in the theatre and watch the crew change everything from Billy Elliot to Othello, while a volunteer described what they were doing and answered questions. One of the crew members even came up to talk to us as well. For the small price tag, it was well worth attending.

Little Shop of Horrors
This show was really fun. The Avon Theatre is more of a traditional theatre, compared to the Festival. The show was well done, and I really liked the set. The cast was good as well.

Festival Theatre Tour
This tour was really cool, as we truly got to see almost every area of the theatre. We got to go backstage, under the stage, through the dressing and prop area, in the costume and prop workshops, and even the rehearsal room. We got to hear about some history and stories about the many years the Festival has been around.
The ONLY complaint I had from the whole weekend had to do with this tour. It felt REALLY rushed. There was so much to see and do, and at times we didn't even have a chance to ask questions, before being rushed off to the next area. Considering there was 20+ people on the tour, people had different areas of interests and wanted to ask more questions. Even at the end of the tour, the guide disappeared. I thought he could have at least stayed in the lobby to answer any other questions. The tour should really be given more time, maybe 1.5-2 hours.

Other than that one complaint, it was a truly memorable weekend, and I can't wait to return!

I'd also like to mention how wonderful the entire staff is. They are so kind and friendly, and since they work all over, you end up running into the same people all over the place. They definitely deserve recognition!

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a lovely spot. Loved the spacious foyer and couldn't believe they let you take drinks into the auditorium We didn't do it, but saw it was possible. We were in Row G for both shows and the view was terrific, sound excellent and loved Billy Elliot "involved" the audience in the show. Also saw Merry Wives of Windsor. It is a great space and seats are comfortable. Also liked the Theatre shop.

1  Thank LyndaH666
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We both loved this play, we had loved the movie and wondered how it would transfer to the stage. We travel to Stratford once a year and take in 2 plays. As we are British born we thought the accents were not so good but shouldn't put off anyone from North America. The lead Nolen Dubuc was a multi talented performer and we would recommend this play.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This summer we've seen "Nathan the Wise" and "Henry VIII" in the Studio Theatre and "The Merry Wives of Windsor" in the Festival Theatre. The Lessing play was disappointing compared with the Soulpepper production a number of years ago: the two main characters were badly cast, and the play was made even preachier than it is to begin with. "Henry VIII" is a play that, once you've seen it, you don't need to see again. Our favourite was "The Merry Wives": heavy on the slapstick but a lot of fun, with several wonderful performances, led by Geraint Wyn Davies as Falstaff.