“Returning Since 2006”
Review of Stratford Festival

Stratford Festival
Ranked #1 of 33 things to do in Stratford
More attraction details
Owner description: Stratford Festival, North America's largest repertory theatre festival, features plays by Shakespeare and other top playwrights each season in Stratford, Ontario, Canada.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We go to the festival every year. This is by far the best theater on the North American continent. Serious plays and great musicals. The productions and theatricality are always first rate. You will do yourself a favor by attending at least once; and then you will be hooked for life.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"many years"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We saw five plays this year: Merchant of Venice, Othello, Blithe Spirit, Mary Stuart, and Waiting for Godot. All were excellent. We're Festival members, so we'll keep coming back.

I particularly want to use this space to plug the Culinary Walking Tour that can be arranged at the tourism offices. It was fantastic, and introduced us to many places we either didn't know existed, or would have walked right by unknowingly. We liked it so much we did it twice (the morning and afternoon tours have different stops).

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our first visit to the Stratford Festival and we were able to see "The Merchant of Venice", "Romeo and Juliet" and "Othello". "Merchant" was in the larger, Festival Theatre. The play was recast to the time of Mussolini Italy. It worked very well, and music of the 1930's was blended into the production. The actors were outstanding, and it is the best production of Shakespeare's play I have seen. Period. "Romeo" was also shown in the Festival Theatre. The lights were kept on high during the entire play to give the feel of the audience role in the Globe Theatre day. The actors interacted with the audience and drew us into the time and place. Live music was a real plus, using instruments of the time. The cast was less experience than the Merchant group, but were highly skilled, and enthusiastic. Their joy in the role came through. Early reviews were too harsh, I believe. They deserve four stars for this production. Lastly, we saw Othello in the smaller Avon Theatre. Again this was a world class production, with excellent acting, great lighting and stage use. This is great resource in the Toronto area!

We paid $75 to $85 for great seats in the various theaters. This is a fraction of the cost of inferior productions in New York, Los Angeles, or elsewhere. This is a BARGAIN!

In addition, the small town of Stratford is a delight to visit. Great places for dining, shopping, and just walking along the river.

1  Thank PhilViking
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The 4 of us visit the Stratford Festival almost every year. This year we picked Romeo and Juliet and Fiddler on the Roof. My 2 daughters aged 15 and 19 both LOVE visiting Stratford. Fiddler was GREAT! The time flew by watching this play. The cast were all fantastic and it was most enjoyable. It was a packed house and you could feel the crowds enthusiasm. Romeo and Juliet was disappointing . I wish I had reviewed who the lead characters were being played by prior to purchasing my tickets. Once we were in the theatre and reading over the programme, my 15 year old states "oh no, Mom, Juliet is being played by the lady we saw in Peter Pan....Wendy! All she did was yell and whine! " Then my older daughter says, "yes, I remember her.....she was in Twelth Night too and did the same thing!". I knew it was going to be a long night ! Sara Topham is much too old to play Juliet and her delivery is not convincing.The theatre was not filled to begin with and was even less so after intermission. The applause was subdued as well. There was plenty of lovely young ladies in Fiddler who would have done a fabulous job at Juliet. Too bad this one missed the mark. I gave Stratford a 3 this year. It would have been a 5 if Juliet was someone else .........otherwise the rest of our visit was fantastic in every way!