“Great venue! One show good, one show bad,”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Stratford Festival

Stratford Festival
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Stratford
More attraction details
Owner description: Stratford Festival, North America's largest repertory theatre festival, features plays by Shakespeare and other top playwrights each season in Stratford, Ontario, Canada.
Toronto, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great venue! One show good, one show bad,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Festival Theatre is a beautiful theatre surrounded by picturesque scenery. The snacks were a little pricey and you can't bring anything back into the theatre with you (so I don't recommend buying a coffee! LOL).

We saw Fiddler on the Roof and it was absolutely fantastic; Romeo & Juliet on the other hand, well, we left during this intermission we disliked it so much.

Also, the parking is $12 and does not grant in and out privileges.

1 Thank Rachel C

St. Catharines, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“We went to the festival theatre ,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The festival theatre is big, and beautiful , but the seats are close to the person in front of you. You are knocking the person in front of you in the head if you move your legs.

2 Thank suerob_13
Toronto
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“I grew up on Fiddler on the Roof. This production is a gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I grew up on Fiddler on the Roof. In Winnipeg, every time the iconic outdoor theatre, Rainbow Stage was in financial trouble, a new production of Fiddler on the Roof was offered....and each of the four productions (1971, 1977, 1984 and 1993) ensured a full house with every Winnipegger of Jewish or Ukrainian descent dutifully coming to spend an evening watching Cliff Gardner reprise his masterful interpretation of Tevye, the milkman wrestling with change.

I listened to the original Broadway soundtrack driving to Stratford as was hoping this production would do justice to the fine productions I had so enjoyed in Winnipeg, and that honoured the great Broadway original cast production.

Stratford's Fiddler met my expectations, and more.

I was immediately struck by the Marc Chagall-inspired dome above the stage, and realized that the staging would have elements of Chagall's "The Green Violinist," and other well-known works woven into fabric of the production - even perching the Fiddler on the top of the miniature houses, as in the famous painting.

Scott Wentworth, as Tevye, seemed a bit tentative at the beginning, but grew in confidence as the play progressed and proved a wonderful, memorable Tevye. Jennifer Stewart was winning as Tzeitel, but Jacquelyn French broke hearts as she sang 'Far From the Home I Love," as she prepared to join her beloved, Perchik, in Siberia.

The acting was strong, the voices were beautiful, the choreography was first rate, and the dancing was goodish. (I am biased here...some of the very, very best Ukrainian dancers in Western Canada were part of the Rainbow Stage productions, and they SMOKED the "Russian" dancers in the Stratford producation...sorry.)

The only false note in the preview production I saw was the attempt of some actors to affect Eastern European accents. This should be attempted only by Merle Streep or Don Cheadle. Scott Wentworth started to do some kind of accent in the first moments of the production, and perhaps this is what made him seem tentative. As soon as he dropped the attempt at the accent, he was able to inhabit Tevye and not be inhibited by a weird accent. The "Russians" were particularly egregious and the usually terrific Paul Nolan seemed lost in a bad accent, and had no presence as Fyedka - heck, who'd leave everything for a guy who mumbles?

Perhaps, just like the original Broadway cast and the folks at Rainbow Stage, the Stratford Anatevkans should just drop the bad accents and focus on words and music. You can hear "New York" in the voices of the Broadway cast members, particularly Zero Mostel, but soon it is Tevye you hear...not Zero Mostel.

Go see this production. It is very, very good and worth every penny. It is faithful to the original inception of the production, but is still fresh and winning. Get your tickets right away, as they will go quickly (and hopefully have the same effect as a fiscal windfall for Stratford as for Rainbow Stage)!

You will laugh, and you will cry. What more could you want?

6 Thank etobianToronto
London, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fiddler on the roof”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

LOVED it. One of our fave movies- so we had to see it this year at Stratford. Dancing was AmAzing and singing outstanding. Definitely entertaining. Loved the part with Lazerwolf's wife in the dream- so creative. Loved Tevia and his wife Golda. Only thing I was not so impressed with was the seat- my butt hurt way before intermission -not the most comfy seats (and I have ample butt- this seat was just not comfy). We got tickets through Play on- really nice to be able to afford seats at the theatre- because otherwise we wouldn't be able to go.
Overall - Thank you for such a great performance.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank jackchristine
Stratford_Festival, Director of Sales at Stratford Festival, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed Fiddler on the Roof! It's always great to hear of people taking advantage of our $25 PlayOn program! We hope to see you again soon!
Saint Albans, Vermont
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A Must See Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I don't get to the theater much but if I lived closer to Stratford, I'd be a season ticket holder. Lovely theater, wonderful staff, easy parking and a spectacular Fiddler on the Roof to boot. Handled my special hearing needs with easy, even moved our seats to improve the reception. If you like theater, you will appreciate this place. If you don't like theater, you will after just one visit. This place makes a difference. Cheers

Visited April 2013