“Not so Old, but still great”

The Prune Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Prune Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 138 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Nile Street
Description: Contemporary Canadian cuisine under the creative guidance of Executive Chef Bryan Steele which celebrates the bounty of local producers and growers. Innovation and creativity explores world cuisines while the classics are presented in new and sophisticated ways to create an uplifting and memorable dining experience. The wine program showcases boutique labels from both local and international growers, and our front-of-house team offers elevated service in a casually elegant style. We pride ourselves on every guest feeling welcomed and fulfilled long after their dining adventure.
Toronto
“Not so Old, but still great”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Old Prune has rebranded. The restaurant is still well managed. The food is ecellent and the rooms enjoyable. It is off the main strip, but worth finding. Easily walkable from your b+b or hotel and a nice addition to a Straford Festival weekend.

Visited October 2012

Birmingham, Michigan
“Bring back the staff (and the artwork)”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The cuisine remains delectable and the wine choices focused and high quality but the service post transition of the previous owners has suffered. You will not find a more seasoned and talented kitchen staff in Stratford and Peter, the sommelier and front of the house manager, remains the consummate knowledgable professional. It seems the new ownership exited the attentive table staff who tended to the basic provision of cutlery, water, breads, coffee and that magical greeting at the front door, leaving it to the talented service staff. At one of our most recent visits there were repeated gaffs with the service and while not impacting the scrumptious meal, did make us wonder if it was worth the premium price. The artwork that used to grace the walls has been replaced by the equivalent of hotel-chain fare....a small but important item when you're the Prune, old or not.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Fixed price but flexible”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I had expected a fixed price option here but hadn't realized all selections were prix fixe. However, other than with the discount selection, they were pretty flexible ...plus the food was so good you wanted all the courses. The service was attentive and friendly but professional. The honey lavender treats that came with the (not inexpensive) bill were amazing.The atmosphere is lovely.

1 Thank Maureen S
South Bend, Indiana
“Unique, excellent restaurant!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were looking for a nice place to eat while in Stratford, Ontario, Canada to see a few plays at the Stratford, Festival. I googled and found The (Old) Prune. I'm not sure what the name means, but the food was some of the best we've had.

I ordered the Veal Cheeks, even though I wasn't sure what it would be. I love to try "something different" and so this was the meal that stood out for me. It turned out to be THE most delicious and tender beef I've ever had. My compliments to the chef for sure! I also had the ravioli appetizer and the decadent chocolate dessert. One word says it all..."YUM!" My husband had the trout and the Rhubarb dessert and he loved them also.

The chef also sent an "amuse bouche" and another little tart dessert to the table as a nice little bite-sized surprise to begin and end the meal.

The service was also up to my high standards! The people were so warm and welcoming and helpful. The manager was charming and was there when we had questions.

All-in-all I give this restaurant 2 thumbs up and 5 stars! Please be aware of the prices before you go, but as with all good food, it is to be expected.

I'd also like to say that I really don't understand any negative reviews I've seen on Trip Advisor, about this restaurant, unless they are by people who are more used to eating at a fast-food restaurant. Also, I'd say that the portion-size was good. We couldn't have eaten another bite when we left.

We can't wait to go back! Thanks for a lovely evening!

Markham, Ontario
“Student Chefs”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We went to The Prune and enjoyed a lovely dinner prepared by student chefs from the Stratford Culinery School.

Visited November 2012