“Five Star Dining! A Treat for the Palate!”

The Prune Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 142 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Nile Street
Description: Contemporary Canadian cuisine under the creative guidance of Executive Chef Bryan Steele which celebrates the bounty of local producers and growers. Innovation and creativity explores world cuisines while the classics are presented in new and sophisticated ways to create an uplifting and memorable dining experience. The wine program showcases boutique labels from both local and international growers, and our front-of-house team offers elevated service in a casually elegant style. We pride ourselves on every guest feeling welcomed and fulfilled long after their dining adventure.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My daughter and I ate supper on Saturday, September 8th at this restaurant. It is in a renovated home, not far from the Avon Theatre. We called late for reservations, and we were told that if we made it over in fifteen minutes or so, they could accommodate us, and have us out in time for the theatre. They lived us to that promise, and so much more!

We drove over, and when we arrived, we were greeted warmly and seated quickly. The menu was a prix fixe menu. We opted for the three courses for approximately $79.00 per person.

First of all, we were brought some delicious rolls with butter. They were wonderful. My daughter, who typically does not eat a lot of bread, ate three of them. Then, they brought us an amuse bouche with assorted slaw. It was excellent.

Our first course was a green pea soup, with some smoked trout on small pieces of crisp bread (smoked trout rillette.) The soup was delicious and the trout accompaniment was superb.

Next, my daughter had the poached pickerel and I had the flatiron steak with green beans, beetroot and a hot mustard sauce. It was absolutely outstanding. My daughter had to try a piece and she was impressed too. Her fish dish, that had pickled cucumber with it, was also first rate.

For dessert, I had the lemon square with honey ice-cream....again, it was delectable. My daughter had a chocolate dessert, with malted chocolate ice-cream, dehydrated chocolate sponge and seabuckthorn berries. It was A+++.

To finish, they brought us a raspberry marshmellow and some berries (can't recall the name), but it was all excellent.

The meal was well-paced and the service was excellent. This was a real treat. In fact, it was one of the best meals I have ever had before, and I don't make that statement lightly.

With wine and tip, the meal came to $207.00 for the two of us. This was not just fine dining...this was perfect. Would I return? Absolutely, without a doubt. We had two couples sharing our side of the room with us, and I overheard pleasing commentary from both tables, over and over again.

The server was very pleasant and he explained any terminology we were unclear of. He did likewise with the other parties, and he even offered some anecdotes and stories about the food, the area, etc.

To conclude, I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. It is superb. You must experience it, in order to believe it. We are lucky to have access to a restaurant of such high calibre. I overheard the American guests saying how impressed they were, and how they were going to tell their friends at home.

When in Stratford, if you truly want to experience fine dining, then go to the Prune. You will not be disappointed...I guarantee it.

1  Thank amm63

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We reserved a 5.30 table as we were going to an 8pm theatre performance. The restaurant is elegantly decorated with a pretty garden view; but the staff did not seem able to handle the demands of a busy saturday night. My husband enjoyed his lamb dish, but my fish was very undercooked and I had to send it back and wait. Many other guests were complaining that they had not had desert as the clock approached 7.25 and ours was late too. We had to rush in order to make the performance. It appears that better planning is needed to ensure guests who come early can enjoy a leisurely dinner at a highly rated restaurant!

1  Thank Pol892
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The (Old) Prune has come along way since our last visit many years ago. It was always very good but now it is truly exceptional. The room we sat in was comfortable and light with tables well spaced, large windows on two sides, and tables large enough to spread out a bit. The cocktails were generous and properly mixed. The appetizers of seviche and cold soup were delicious. the main courses of pickerel , salmon and duck were exceptional especially the pickerel which was one of the best fish preparations I have experienced.The deserts likewise were great. The service was attentive, eficient and non intrusive. In our four day stay in Stratford, this restaurant was tops. Be aware that it is expensive but to our minds well worth the price.

1  Thank Stubabe
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Four of us had a Groupon so perhaps this is why our portions were so small? Our groupon was $47 per couple and included an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. There were two (small) glasses of wine with the first two courses. I'm glad we went but also glad we didn't pay full price for such small courses. We all had the green pea soup served with three tiny crackers with smoked trout. So good. Three of us had the quick poached salmon. The salmon was barely cooked but tasted incredible. Unfortunately the only thing served with it were a half dozen grapes and a couple of what looked like beet leaves. No vegetables, rice or potatoes. Other member of our group had the ravioli and said it was very good but again the portion was so small, we were all fighting over the last roll!! A lot of the courses had what looked like "foam" on them. I'm sure it was a way of cooking but there was too much foam on too many of the dishes. Dessert was a lemon square with honey icecream. If the reason they did a Groupon was to entice more visitors to the restaurant, I'm afraid I won't return. I'm not a big eater, enjoy fine dining but to leave almost as hungry as when we arrived just doesn't cut it for us.

3  Thank canchick
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This restaurant is excellent, but very relaxed slow service. The kitchen staff are creative. The prices steep, but worth it for a fine meal. I don't recommend it if you must rush to a play.