“Meet you for lunch here anytime!"”
Review of Keystone Alley

Keystone Alley
Ranked #4 of 140 Restaurants in Stratford
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: For three decades The Keystone Alley Café has continually evolved, from its start as a small coffee shop into the popular casual fine dining restaurant that you see today. The Keystone Alley Cafe was named after the well-known Keystone Bakery located on these premises earlier. The 'alley' in the current name describes the area adjacent to the restaurant used for patio dining in the summer months. The Keystone Alley Cafe strives to provide a family style menu of fresh, bold flavoured foods, while supporting locally and sustainably. Over the years, many improvements have been made, including the addition of the "Key'd Inn", a spacious two bedroom suite rental situated above the restaurant.
Reviewed August 7, 2009

This is a great place for lunch and the crowds prove it. A reservation (during the season) is a must. But the food is excellent, and not overpriced as many of the restaurants in Stratford have become. The menu is varied and has something for everyone. It's my favorite lunch spot in Stratford.

Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I first ate here 2 years ago, at which time I would have probably given it a 5 rating. This time, although the food was terrific, the service was disappointing. We arrived at 7 pm on a Tuesday, and were asked by the maitre d' (in a very patronizing tone) if we had reservations, which we did, having asked our B&B host to make them for us. We may not actually have needed them, as there were several empty tables and the restaurant was not that busy, all the more reason to wonder at the slowness of the service. We sat staring at our pat of butter for about 15 minutes, when the maitre d' returned, asking if we had seen "Stacy" our waitress. We told him we had not, so he took our order for a bottle of wine. When he returned with it, he pointed out that we had chosen one with a screw top rather than a cork (this for $30CA!!) Not really necessary of him to mention it. In spite of having no cork, it was pretty good wine, which we sipped for another 15 minutes, staring at our lonely pat of butter. Eventually, my husband flagged down a server to ask if Stacy could be found. She showed up, with no apology for our lengthy wait and asked if we'd like to order, which we did. Finally, a girl with a large basket and a long pair of tongs came and deposited a little roll on each of our plates. That was it... no one ever offered a second roll or refilled water glasses. Vichysoisse was the soup special that day, and my husband, who is a big fan, ordered it. Jokingly, I told him it would never be as good as what I make at home...and it wasn't. It was very runny with no body to it, and almost no flavor except for a rather unpleasant sweet aftertaste. My husband just put it to one side, with no intention of complaining, but then the maitre d' stopped by and asked if he was enjoying the soup. My husband then politely told him what he thought, and the maitre d' just nodded his head and strolled away. No apology, no offer to replace it with something else or remove it from the bill. ($8 for soup) Fortunately, our meals were delicious. I had the filet mignon, done perfectly as I had ordered, on a bed of spinach and wild mushrooms ($33) and my husband had the local "Perth County" pork tenderloin, also perfectly done, with green beans and goat cheese-potato croquettes. We skipped dessert. I would recommend this restaurant for the food, but with a caveat about the service. Perhaps they were just having a bad day. As for the soup, it was a special so perhaps the chef was not familiar with that particular item.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

This is the place to go for a special lunch (never been for dinner because it is always full)
Great fresh foods with everything under $12. Not a simple sadwhich shop either the food is done first class. Steps from the Avon Theatre

1  Thank Rivs63
Reviewed May 14, 2008

We visit Stratford several times a year and always eat at the Keystone Alley at least once. It's a bit crowded and noisy inside, so, weather permitting, we always choose to sit outside on the patio, but the food is wonderful wherever you eat it.

2  Thank TOwriter