“Mother could not have done better, actually she doesn't”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stratford
A Fool's Paradise Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #63 of 89 Stratford B&B and Inns
Detroit, Michigan
“Mother could not have done better, actually she doesn't”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

There are three priorities for us when we are looking for a place to stay: location, cost and cleanliness. This rates high stars for all. We were made to feel very welcome and at home.
Breakfast was excellent, high praises for Charles in the kitchen. Enjoyed the conversations and the suggestions by the hosts. We walked to town and the theaters without any difficulty. We brought our very large 8 month old puppy (over 100 pounds) and could not have asked for better babysitters. We never worried about the pup, he was very well cared for during breakfast, dinner and the theater. Locations was about one block from the park which was excellent for walking the dog. High marks all around. Hope we can come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan f

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been coming to A Fool's Paradise for years. Here are my reasons: Clean, comfortable beds in well-cared-for rooms. Nice clean bathrooms with plenty of hot water, fluffy towels, and comfortable robes. Sumptuous breakfasts of great variety of meats, eggs, pastries, homemade jams, juices, teas, coffees. A lovely little breakfast room with different table settings every morning. A well-worn living room where guests can gather each night with wine, cheese, and hosts to trade stories. Air-conditioning, WiFi. Perfectly located right across the river; when I'm there, I just park my car and walk all week. Pat and Charles are enthusiastic, gracious hosts, and their charming little Xena is a treat.

The only negatives I can think of are, first, that the hosts are heavy smokers. The house is smoke-free, so Pat and Charles sit on the porch to smoke, which means guests need to walk through the gases to enter the house. When I stay there, I spend a lot of time on the porch with my hosts. I just love them so much. The second negative is that the living furniture and carpets have seen many years of heavy use and are beginning to look a little shabby. But the house and its rooms are clean clean clean -- a guest returning from the theater in the afternoon will hear the vacuum running and notice newly sparkled surfaces in all the bathrooms.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank GizmoJonez
Halton Hills, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We loved the location - an easy walk to the Avon theater. The "Festival Room" had a ensuite bathroom and we had the beds made up as two twins. Charles and Patricia were great hosts, and Zena (the cute puppy) was a doll.

Room Tip: The Festival has an ensuite, the other two rooms share a bathroom
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Milton, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This was my first B & B experience and I was not sure what to expect.
I stayed in the Festival room with an ensuite bathroom. It was quite clean and lovely. The bed was comfortable (not great). A negative was that I am light sleeper and whenever someone walked on the hard wood floor I woke up.
Do not expect 5 star. But do expect excellent service from Pat and Charles. The breakfast was absolutely amazing.
The location was great for walking to the Festival and Patterson theatres (if you enjoy walking) and the downtown core. It took me around 8 minutes to downtown. It was also walking distance from the pond/lake 5 minutes.
Great value for money and I would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank VacationerJJ
Acton
Reviewed July 11, 2009

This was a comfortable place to stay and fit within our tight budget. The best thing was, for an extra $25 fee, we were allowed to bring our small dog to stay with us. The owner's fed and walked him while we were out, and they also had a small dog to keep him company. This saved us a lot of money and headache from having to find a kennel for him to stay at. Although it's a little bit of a walk to the action of downtown, it is a lovely walk, going past a lot of older Stratford Victorian homes. The breakfast was wonderful, and the owners are very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chadandkate
Campo Grande, MS
Reviewed March 7, 2009

The owners were very friendly, the house is very clean and authentic, and they sure make the guest very comfortable in their home. The place is well located, but not in the very center of the town, but you can walk to the main places and attractions.
The breakfast is outstanding, lots of food - more than you probably could eat - different recipes and a secret juice mixture. Everything seems to be home made by the owners. We love our stay there and sure would return if we come back to Stratford Ontario Canada.
We have been in lots of B&B, including in the lovely twin city, Stratford England UK, and if you don't like this one, that's because Bed & Breakfast probably isn't your thing.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ZeroC00L
Kalamazoo
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Since this was my second stay at A Fool's Paradise, I had NO problem deciding where to lodge. A wonderful couple, intelligent, easy to chat with, loving pup named Zena...who kept me from missing my own dog, Mojo. When I said I enjoyed Mexican food, Charles made a GREAT Mexican breakfast on our last day. Allergies no problem as this is one of the first things Pat inquired about. Homemade, not out of the box dips, special cheeses, flowing wine, and superb conversation after the evening plays. Jokes flowed, topics ranged from the plays and Stratford, to books, travels, politics, families, photos, tooooo many topics to display here! Rooms were lovely, clean and a different sweet on our turned down beds at nite. Straitened our vacation rooms each morning and pulled the beds together to invite a quiet nap in the day...but we didn't because there was toooo much to do! Charming does not even begin to describe my experiences with the gracious couple and their home. If you want a franchise, go elsewhere. But if you want a great safe, comfortable homey B & B, don't miss this deliciously fun couple. Something for everyone!!

• Liked — The Host's
  • Disliked — Had to go back home!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family