“Just outside of town”
Review of Suburban Motel

Suburban Motel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This motel is small but the room was very clean and comfortable. The property is a little dated but of no consequence to the quality. The room rates are very reasonable for the Stratford area. A/C and heat worked well. Water got hot very quickly. I believe the water is softened as it is in most of the local motels so be prepared for that if you are not used to it. The owners are friendly and helpful with suggestions for local attractions, shopping and dining. Only 2 miles from town, the motel sign is somewhat small and easy to miss. If you are looking for a place to sleep comfortably without the extras that you won't use anyway, I would recomend Suburban motel. I will stay here on my next visit to Stratford.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RonC_SCS_Michigan
There are newer reviews for Suburban Motel

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is an excellent little motel. The room was very very clean, the beds comfy and we liked sitting in the gazebo with our coffee, juice and muffin. The garden was lovely, and the views from the back windows were very pretty. The service was great with some great pointers from the host on where to park and what to see.
We nearly did not stay because it is on the highway and there are cows and I was worried about how dark it would be at night. I am terrified of driving in the country and this is the first time since I was little that I stayed at a motel. (I am okay on the DVP, LOL)
We went to see Much Ado...which is another review but do go see it. Only thing that would improve this motel would be a microwave in the room and a choice of muffins as one of my kids couldn't eat the muffin served. I am a fussy reviewer, I want good value for my buck and a nice clean room I really liked this motel.

Room Tip: I think they are probably all good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Owners were super helpful like a B & B. However bed was too hard, room was average. It was a little late in the day to go into the pool because of too much shade and water on the cool side. Room view was the farm behind the motel with a full plot of corn plants! This visit was last minute visit and we would stay again if we could not get something within walking distance to the downtown area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were very pleased with the comfy king and very clean spacious room. The bathroom and room were clean as could be. The motor court motel is run by a very attentive young couple, exchanged prompt email before our stay, and ready with Stratford tips upon our arrival. We had our tickets for the day, but Mike gave us insider coupon for 2pm show discount next day, and we enjoyed talking the play talk for a bit. The well groomed grounds were pleasant and the drive to town just a few minutes away. In my dozen years of playgoing at the Stratford Festival, this was the first stay at The Suburban. Not the last, I'll be back! Clean and comfy...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed at the Suburban Motel for one night while we went to a play in Stratford. While the motel is very close to Stratford which is a plus, the room was not as comfortable as we had hoped. Immediately upon entering we were greeted with a musty smell which didn't go away despite having the windows open. The air conditioner in the room was so loud that we were unable to get a good nights sleep. The beds were basic and clean but far from comfortable. Although the price of the room was good in comparison to hotels right in Stratford, we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kedoalni
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I have been planning a trip to Stratford for some time now and finally decided to make it happen. We had planned on a two night/two play stay and we made reservations for tickets and lodging almost at the last minute. We were successful with tickets and we chose the Suburban Motel (based on comments made on the tripadvisor site). Mandy and Mike, the owners of this family business) made us feel welcome from the first very first contact. The accomodations did not disapoint; rates were reasonable and the room was spotless and very well maintained (appears as if the renovations and updates were recently done). It's airconditioned as well and given the summer we have been having that was a welcome relief. King size bed was very comfortable and coffee and fridge are supplied. It's about 5 km out of town but I am a walker and walked to town each morning for breakfast...my wife drove but that's ok (she was on holidays!!). We really enjoyed our stay and day trips around Stratford and extended our stay by two more days since more tickets were available and....we really enjoyed our stay at the Suburban. The gardens and pool are well maintained and ....a quiet oasis after busy days! Mandy and Mike do an excellent job of making their guests feel welcome (and the staff do a top notch job maintaining the rooms). We are planning to go back to Stratford shortly and we will be staying at the Suburban....no question about it. And, oh yes...there is no extra charge for the temendous view of the surrounding farm; other estabishments offer a fireplace tv channel....no one else (that I am aware of) offers farm landscapes right up to your patio door!!

Thanks Mandy and Mike....

Room Tip: the Kings are very comfortable (but we suspect that all the others are too)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelMallorytown
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We recently stayed at this motel in June 2012. I am not normally one to choose a motel style property but had read great reviews on tripadvisor so chose it. I'm glad I did! It was very clean, rooms were a good size complete with dresser, king size bed, small table, balcony, small fridge & small bathroom. Carpets seemed to be recently updated in our room (111) - the bed was very comfortable. There was also complimentary coffee available in the room.

We also made use of the pool on property - the pool itself needs a bit of repair but it was clean and the patio area around it clean & comfortable with chairs, lounges & tables with umbrellas.

The motel is on the main road & less than a 10 minute drive into the town of Stratford. You need to drive to restaurants (none are within walking distance). If you are going to stay outside of the central town area, this motel would be a great choice - especially for the price!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family