“It was just ok....”
Review of The Swan Motel

The Swan Motel
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed September 15, 2008

After reading the other reviews I was expecting more....it is in a beautiful spot, the grounds are very nice but.....the beds. What can I say about the beds, they are uncomfortable, we barely got any sleep. I strongly suggest they get new beds. The rooms were extremely clean!!! The cleaning staff do a great job. The other complaint is the lack of cable TV...I realize that people are there for the theatre, but we weren't and at night it would have been nice to watch some good TV before bed, it doesn't make sense they have free wireless but no cable TV. So I think the Swan is an ok motel....if they take care the things I suggested it would become a great motel!!!

• Stayed: September 2008
There are newer reviews for The Swan Motel

Reviewed September 3, 2008

This was the first time I'd stayed at the Swan, and it is without a doubt the best motel I've ever stayed in -- and I've stayed in plenty. I went to Stratford with my 21-year-old daughter for a fix of Shakespeare plays. Previously we'd stayed in towns outside of Stratford because we're late bookers and the in-town spots are often full, but this time we got lucky.

The motel's grounds are described in other reviews; they're lovely. Pleasant gardens with benches/chairs and lots of shade, and a pristine swimming pool. I'd have been happy to have a couple of days just to sit on the grounds with a good book and do nothing.

The rooms are a great size, and it was such a pleasure to look out the back window onto a field of corn -- one of the great features of the Swan is that it's a little outside the town which makes for peaceful surroundings (even beyond its own garden) and a restful sleep. Rooms are adequately furnished. Not super-fancy, but cleaner-than-clean -- absolutely spotless. Most significantly for me, there was absolutely none of the musty/moldy smell that motels so easily acquire. The owner told me that this is because during the closed season all soft goods (mattresses etc) are placed in heated storage. It's good to see so much attention paid to detail, especially at very reasonable prices. I wish 4-star hotels were as conscientious.

The owners, a couple, are warm and friendly but not intrusive. The muffins and coffee in the morning are a lovely touch. All in all, the place is a great bargain, and from now on it'll be the only place I stay in Stratford -- in fact, I'll book there before choosing which Festival plays to see, to make sure I get to stay there!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Don’t let the traditional motel exterior fool you. This place is as clean and modern as any upscale hotel. A window in the bathroom was a most welcome change to the caves that most places offer these days. It helped that the window faced east over a cornfield that welcomed the colors of dawn and sunrise. Because we are spoiled with a thick memory foam mattress topper at home, we thought the bed could be a tad more comfortable. While my wife is passionate about muffins, which are offered with coffee every morning in the office, I missed seeing donuts and/or cookies. These are admittedly picky notations about a travel experience worth repeating. Decent lodging in Southern Ontario is expensive, so you can’t say the Swan Motel is cheap. But it is very reasonable, compared to other fine accomodations in and around Stratford. We also liked the country suburban location about two miles away from downtown action. The Swan’s garden and arboretum setting added to the end-of-the-day comfort and peace.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Date: July 26, 2008
Reviewer: Kate from Rochester

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the Swan Motel this summer. The next time we plan a trip to Stratford, we hope to stay there again. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the grounds and gardens are absolutely gorgeous, the convenience to theater is perfect, and the owner is unusually warm, friendly, and hospitable.

Reviewed July 20, 2008

I like the peaceful grounds, filled with flowers and trees, away from the hurly burly of a city. You can sit with friends in the garden or by the pool to chat, read or think about the plays you've seen. The well-mainained pool is a pleasure to swim in. The morning coffee,muffin and scuttlebutt with Colleen and fellow playgoers is a delight.

1  Thank muskrat_eh
Reviewed July 18, 2008

I have stayed at the Swan Motel for the past 15 years because it has been such an enjoyable experience. I love sitting beside (and swimming in) the pool! The grounds fill me with envy. Colleen and Peter are such welcoming and informative hosts, I enjoy discussing the current productions and new restaurants with them. The coffee and muffins are delicious and a welcome start to the day.

Reviewed July 12, 2008

The room smelled terribly of mold and mildew. The musty odor permeated the entire room and I could hardly sleep from the smell.

The pool was not cleaned and was FILLED with dead bugs.

Not a place I would ever stay at again nor recommend to anyone.

1  Thank kimberley66ann