“Expected to be pleasantly surprised but wasn't”
Review of Harry Ten Shilling - CLOSED

Harry Ten Shilling
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2014

With a name like Harry Ten Shilling, I was expecting a British afternoon tea with traditional scones, clotted cream and jam. The "scones" were large pieces of cake served with a few fresh blueberries and strawberries on the plate. When asked what these were, we were informed that they were scone cake. I have been to England several times and have never encountered this particular sweet!
The waiter/proprietor? was extremely surly and really made our party feel like he wished we hadn't walked in the door. This was in direct contrast to the experience the two other family members in our party had had with the same gentleman the summer before. When we requested more jam and whipped cream (as the tiny dish would have been appropriate for one not three) our request was granted with a great deal of disdain.
There are lots of places to eat in Stratford. For approximately $42.00 (including tax) for scones and tea for three people, I will definitely take my business to someone who appreciates it, and makes me feel like a welcome customer, rather than a nuisance.

2  Thank Susan H

Reviewed July 27, 2014

My family went here for afternoon tea on Canada Day. Our experience was mixed. My daughter ordered chicken pot pie, and really enjoyed it. We all ordered pots of tea, and they were delicious. The menu offered a small variety of afternoon tea menus. My husband and I chose scones and tea for two. We received four pieces of cake (two large, two small) dusted with icing sugar. There was a very small serving of Devon cream and strawberry jam on the side. Surprised, I asked the server where the scones were. He said this is them; then informed us it was called scone cake. We were disappointed because we were expecting traditional scones. We were on vacation so we decided to go with the flow and give it a try. The cake was good but very dry. The cream and jam helped leaven the dryness so we requested more. This time we received a reasonable portion.
Here's our problem: the menu didn't say scone cake was being served, it said scones were being served. If a restaurant is serving something different that what's on the menu, the server should be upfront about it. "We're out of X, but we can offer you Y." This didn't happen. As a result, we won't be returning to Harry Ten Shilling on our future visits to Stratford.

1  Thank jbtravelson
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Have been going to Harry 10 Shilling in Shakespeare for decades but like the one near the Avon Theatre even better. Take some of the wonderful loose leaf tea home. We love it.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Harry Ten Shilling experience was excellent. We stopped for a light lunch. We had chicken Pot Pie, pickled beats & green salad. A flavoured tea. As well as schons for desert. I rate this experience a 10 plus. 100 % on food & 100% on service.
People who have never done after noon tea do not realize that Harry Ten Schillings does the traditional tea service. And it is done perfectly.

1  Thank Laurie S
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband took me here for our wedding anniversary in June 2014.

We had their 'high tea' or afternoon tea for two.
Their tea menu is quite extensive and both the teas that we chose were amazing.

The food platter was beautifully presented and had a great selection from mini sandwiches, to fruit, cheesecake, scones, homemade jam, clots cream, the works!

The service was great, very attentive and friendly. We would highly recommend this place as stop in Stratford.