“So, so disappointing...”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The picture and description of the High Tea service offered at Harry Ten Shilling's website in Stratford ON is grossly misleading. Rotten fruit cup? One, yes, only one included with tea for two, under baked, yet curiously dry "scone". Turkish delight? Rice crispy treat with Easter egg sprinkles, a full week past Easter weekend? A ramekin of pudding? Everything else included in this over priced hodgepodge tea service was stale or suspect. We were the only patrons in the restaurant the whole time.I paid the man and kept my mouth shut as punishment for not paying heed to some of the reviews included on the tripadvisor website. Never again.

2  Thank Susan B
Lynn B, Owner at Harry Ten Shilling, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

I must concede that I have not had the opportunity in the past to respond to any reviews that have been placed on Trip Advisor. Having said that, I would like to respond to this particular review with perhaps some background information, that may shed some light on the situation. We at Harry Ten Shilling, in our thirty-seventh season, are terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in our tearoom, in Stratford. It was I, personally, who took your reservation one day prior to your booking for an afternoon tea, with a specification of half of the afternoon tea needing to be prepared for a lactose intolerant individual. It was during our telephone conversation that I highlighted that, although it was a very short notice request, I would convey the request to my pastry chef, in hopes that he could prepare such a challenging meal. I also stressed that this could be a difficult request as dairy and afternoon tea go hand in hand. It comes as no surprise to me that the afternoon tea was not as it normally is pictured as posted on our website as fifty percent of the pastry items needed to be omitted, with substitutions as per your request. The crème brulee (pudding cup) was well prepared utilizing lactose free products. Rice crispy treats with pastel nonpareils are a staple for us as they satisfy many gluten free requests, certainly not just at Easter. The other desserts were prepared by our pastry chef the morning of your afternoon tea. We have absolutely no concern with respect to anything being stale or suspect. Likewise, the fruit salad was prepared at the time of your arrival. Having spoken with our employee, who had the opportunity to serve you, he advised us that he had completed several table checks and had even had the opportunity to speak with you directly with respect to the allergy. He explained all of the items that had been prepared with lactose free products and that he had substituted finger sandwiches, which were prepared in absence of butter, cheese etc. The chef, as well, prepared a lovely Waldorf salad in addition to the afternoon tea, which was complimentary. In conclusion, I reference my menu....... If you've enjoyed your experience with us we will be thrilled beyond belief. We'd love it if you told your friends. If something or someone did not meet your expectations, please tell us while your here and we will do what we can to make it loads better for you. If we figured it out first, we will give you something for free....our choice, it could be free advise, tea, food, sweets or even a kiss. Most importantly, we will try to retain our sense of humour, we hope you can too.

Living life one cup at a time,
L.Barber B.A, M.B.A
owner/operator

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Quaint and not as fancy as other high teas I have attended but the food and tea was excellent and the service was very friendly. Reasonably priced for high tea. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I recently stopped in for afternoon tea at harry ten shillings in their charming and beautifully decorated tea-room. A friend and I split an afternoon tea-for-two and found everything to be outstanding. The service was exemplary and the staff cheerful and friendly.
The food was served on a two-tiered tea tray and was presented beautifully. Bursting with fresh fruit, berries and bright edible flowers. There was an assortment of crust-less (classic!) tea-sandwiches cut into pretty shapes and arranged in a very pleasing array.... alongside a couple of their much sought after home-made scones and peach jam! The second tier was a selection of house made baked goods and treats; each one more delicious then the last.
The selection of teas was VAST (at least 60 I estimated) and our server (Robert) was very knowledgeable and helpful in our selection as we don't know that much about tea.
The staff at the Stratford Harry Ten Shilling was wonderful and catered to our every need, we will definitely be coming back soon.
We highly recommend the Stratford location to anyone visiting Stratford who wants a nice cup of tea, and the best desserts in town.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Service was exceptional. Food was delicious. Very beautiful shop. Definitely going back. The fresh flowers were beautiful. Bathrooms were exceptionally clean.

1  Thank Helen0816
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a light lunch and had the afternoon tea for two. Everything was fabulous and we couldn't even finish everything - the portions were very generous. Standouts were the scones and cucumber/tomato tea sandwiches. There were 3 sandwiches-4 portions each which were all delicious 2 large scones and multiples sweets beautifully presented . Also a great selection of teas.

1  Thank Klb022