“BWok on Downie is ex excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Wok On Downie
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
“BWok on Downie is ex excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I have ate at Wok on Downie several times since it opened last year. In that time it has become my favorite restaurant from here to Toronto. The menu is simple. The atmosphere is unique. You simply place your order at the counter take your drink and find a seat. Every single meal has been served hot and during my last visit Yui brought me free desert! Start to finish you could eat here just as fast as any sandwich shop I've been to. All this for under $15! Great food, big portions, fast service, and a menu that offers excellent variety.

Keep up the great work Wok on Downie :)

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Tony L
londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hello Tony L,

Thank you for your positive review of our restaurant. We are thankful for your continued patronage and the accolades that you give us with regards to our efforts to make you a good lunch or dinner.

Our food is hot for sure, in some cases our customers have mentioned that they don't know when they have ever had a hotter meal - not spicy but simply hot - as using a 110,000 BTU wok infuses the heat into the food.

We hope you keep coming into our restaurant and enjoying what we bring to your table.

Niagara Falls, Canada
“I have no idea how this is rated number 1 in Stratford”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Maybe dining at this restaurant during the early part of the week was not a good idea, but I really do not think the rice was fresh, it smelt funny, it kind of had an"off smell to it" maybe a sour smell is the best way to discribe it. I really think the food contained MSG as I received a headache an hour of so after eating the dish I had, this usually occurs after eating MSG. I did not feel the prices represented value for what you received.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RosaElliott
Hello Senior Contributor,

Well it had to happen, we had sooo many very positive reviews that it was bound to happen that someone would not like something about us. That being said I have read your many other reviews and it looks like you have not been able to find anyone - not one positive review - that was able to meet your expectations despite the extensive amount of reviews you have written - well except for the casino....

Too many positive reviews can lend itself to credibility and integrity concerns as to the process of the reviews being written on this site. So thank you for your opinion.

I do have some concerns with regards to your review though as you make statements that are false - albeit your opinion - but false nonetheless. You also don't mention what you had to eat other then what you perceived as "sour" rice.

1. Your title for your review is based upon your subjective opinion as to how we could "possibly" be ranked #1 in Stratford for restaurants. I don't see the relevance of this statement to Tripadvisor readers.

That being said, to be completely frank we were somewhat uncomfortable - albeit flattered with the #1 ranking in town. I will be the first one to admit that there are some very very good restaurants in this town of Stratford.

We are not a fine dining restaurant, No table cloths, no linen napkins, no alcohol.

If you are looking for a clean casual setting, friendly service and freshly made good food then we are a great choice out of the almost 100 restaurants in town. Our most expensive entree is $12.99 and it is cooked to order, with fresh ingredients - even the chicken is fresh chicken breast not frozen.

We are directly adjacent to the Avon theatre and there is a perception that everything is expensive in this area. We have priced our food to be affordable and enjoyable without sacrificing quality.

2. WE DO NOT USE MSG!

I am sorry to read that you got a headache on the day you said you came to our restaurant but it was not from our food and for you to lay direct responsibility on us for said headache is irresponsible and wrong. I am beyond reproach with regards to the atypical use of added or powdered MSG to Chinese styled or even Asian food in general. l love cooking good food that my customers love to eat and there is no place at the WOD for MSG. I know how to cook and do not need to use MSG as a cheat to add flavour.

3. Sour rice - we make our own rice blend using several different kinds of rice that we offer to our customers. If you found the rice to be "off" or "sour" as you stated then we would have been more then happy to replace it or offer you something else instead if you had mentioned it when we checked to see if you were enjoying your meal. I DO use day old rice for the fried rice offerings on the menu but that is simply because day old rice is simply better than fresh rice for stir-frying.

I may be tempting fate by making this statement but in the just over one year that we have been open we have not had ONE plate sent back to the kitchen. NOT ONE PLATE SENT BACK IN OVER A YEAR OF BUSINESS!

I wish you all the best in your extensive efforts to find food that will satisfy your discerning taste.

“excellent all around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

the menu was very simple, so you don't spend much time looking.
it wasn't long after we ordered that our food came. i got the cashew chicken, it was very simple and tasted good. the staff were very friendly.
it didn't cost much either, so good value for the budget savy person.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello CanadianGurl,

Thank you for informative review of our restaurant. I apologize for taking so long to respond as I would like to respond to every review we receive on this well traveled site.

We appreciate your review which adds relevance to fellow readers of Tripadvisor of your experience at the WOD - especially with regards to our menu.

We worked painstakingly to put OUR best on the menu, still offering a good selection but not being too cumbersome with too many choices. The Cashew Chicken is very popular here at Wok on Downie and I am glad you enjoyed your meal.

Please come and see us again!

Canada
“Super casual dining and awesome owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Chose this restaurant because it is rated # 1 in Stratford, how can you resist that ? It was my MIL's birthday and we wanted a casual place with good food so we decided to try WOD. We certainly were not disappointed. I have written many reviews and I can't say that I have ever written anything about the owners but this time I will - both Yui and Brian are excellent hosts. When was the last time you went into a restaurant and the owner came out to make sure everything was good ? For me - NEVER, until today. I would not hesitate to eat here again and would certainly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for great food in a nice casual, relaxed atmosphere. Too bad we live so far away, or I guess good thing we live so far away or I would be broke and fatter than I already am because i would eat here 3 or 4 times a week ! The dishes we had were all great: Wor Wonton Soup, Cashew Chicken, Pad Thai, Kung pao chicken and Garlic Ginger Beef. Yui was also very nice and brought my MIL a surprise dessert of fried bananas and coconut ice cream.....thanks very much.

1 Thank scrufgrove
londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hello Scufgrove,

Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant and of us as well as hands-on owners.

We do try very hard to please everyone who comes into our restaurant. As we have no staff, we ultimately do it all ourselves.

We consider our restaurant an extension of our home as you come in to dine with us and try our home inspired recipes plated and served in our restaurant.

Even though you are "far away" you are always welcome when you come back to Stratford.

Stratford, Canada
“An exceptional experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Visited Wok On Downie for the first time this weekend. My expectation was not disappointed at all. We were all very delighted for the freshly prepared msg free dishes. Everything was steaming hot and very tasty with the perfect mix of spices and seasonings. The service was very attentive from both Yui and Brian. They definitely showed that they are very proud for their restaurant and passionate for the food they serve. I enjoyed the food so much I went back for take out Wonton soup for lunch today. The broth was made from scratch and they even packaged the liquid and solid separately so the wontons / noodles wouldn't get soggy. I would have never expected that. I especially enjoyed the pieces of Chinese mushroom in the soup. This is my newest favourite restaurant. I am surprised I haven't discovered your eatery sooner. I will definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello Thunderhorse,

Thank you for the kind review.

Very glad that you appreciate the subtle differences we try to provide for our customers such as separating the Wor Wonton soup ingredients from the broth on a take-out order.

I also appreciate your comments about us not using MSG because we don't. There is none in the building, I even joke with customers about not having an answering machine because we want nothing to do with MSG.

Sorry little humour there for your amusement.

In this town of many many restaurants we are flattered that you would refer to us as one of your new favorite places to eat.

Please come again, still lots of menu to work through.