“An exceptional experience”

Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Visited Wok On Downie for the first time this weekend. My expectation was not disappointed at all. We were all very delighted for the freshly prepared msg free dishes. Everything was steaming hot and very tasty with the perfect mix of spices and seasonings. The service was very attentive from both Yui and Brian. They definitely showed that they are very proud for their restaurant and passionate for the food they serve. I enjoyed the food so much I went back for take out Wonton soup for lunch today. The broth was made from scratch and they even packaged the liquid and solid separately so the wontons / noodles wouldn't get soggy. I would have never expected that. I especially enjoyed the pieces of Chinese mushroom in the soup. This is my newest favourite restaurant. I am surprised I haven't discovered your eatery sooner. I will definitely be back.

londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Hello Thunderhorse,

Thank you for the kind review.

Very glad that you appreciate the subtle differences we try to provide for our customers such as separating the Wor Wonton soup ingredients from the broth on a take-out order.

I also appreciate your comments about us not using MSG because we don't. There is none in the building, I even joke with customers about not having an answering machine because we want nothing to do with MSG.

Sorry little humour there for your amusement.

In this town of many many restaurants we are flattered that you would refer to us as one of your new favorite places to eat.

Please come again, still lots of menu to work through.

Regards,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

After reading the many wonderful reviews of this place my husband and I recently ate there. We were both so impressed!!! I had the Wor Wonton soup and the bowl is huge. It was not greasy like some others I have had in the past. It was full of veggies, noodles and the best pork wontons I have ever had. My husband had the cashew chicken and said it was outstanding, not at all greasy. It was packed with veggies, chicken and cashews. I had a taste and thought the sauce light but just the right flavour. We also tried the pork dumplings, OMG so good. The sauce that comes with them we wish they would bottle and sell. I believe that it is homemade. We also had Yui's spring rolls which were just amazing as well. They had a slight spice to them which just made them that much better.

As for the service it was just wonderful. The owners were doing it all and made you feel so welcome. The food came out quick but not too quick that you know it was cooked right.

We will for sure be going back to this little bit of heaven in Stratford.

londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Hello Angelfancy,

Thank you for your kind words and your review of Wok on Downie.

The reviews that customers write can and do directly affect a restaurants success. We have been fortunate so far with a consistently happy customer base. As hands-on owners we take great pride in our healthy and tasty food. We have a very casual environment here at the WOD and are very glad that you enjoyed your dining experience enough to write about it.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a big fan of Wok on Downie. I eat there quite often. My fave is the Pork Dumplings, they are just delicious. The Cashew Chicken without Garlic which Yui makes as a special order is delicious. The portion sizes are enormous, I always end up eating 2 meals at the end. The prices are really low especially since you end up getting 2 meals. Everything I have eaten has been great. They also have great specials.
The restaurant is very clean and a good size. The owners are super friendly and just lovely. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Chinese/Thai food.

londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Hello Happy Customer,

Thank you for your kind review.

We make every dish fresh - to order - in our restaurant and are sensitive to peoples preferences.

We 'try" wherever possible to field changes to a dish such as no garlic, no onions, extra spicy etc etc. Even though we do not allow substitutions to our dishes - omissions are easy especially to assure your total enjoyment of your chosen dish and for a happy palate.

Hope you continue to come in to enjoy our food and we continue to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Do yourself a favour and try this restaurant. Great food served hot and fresh and always with a huge smile. Curry's are fresh and delicious and fantastic Pad Thai. There is no better asian option in Stratford.

Thank you very much for your review and the specifics contained in your review to assist fellow TripAdvisor readers.

Our Yellow Curry(Mild)and Red Curry (Spicy) are becoming very popular and I couldn't agree more that they are delicious. Definitely one of my favourite dishes on our menu.

Hope to see you continue to Wok on Down-ie to our restaurant and work your way through the rest of our menu.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Best asian food in Stratford, hands down. Lots to choose from, great flavours and all served up by two of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. I can't recommend Wok On Downie enough.

Hello Happy customer,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate the accolades.

We are curious about what dishes you tried that made you love our restaurant so much?

Stratford is a very competitive town to run a restaurant in and your compliments flatter us but we accept them with humble gratitude. I hope that you come back again and work your way through our fresh menu.

It is very easy to be nice to nice customers who come in hungry rather then hangry (hungry and angry)