“BEST SERVICE EVER !!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Lakefield
“BEST SERVICE EVER !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I were in Stratford, Ontario attending a play. We had been in Stratford the previous year, but only for the day, and promised ourselves that we would stay over "next time". We had booked the Best Western last December, in most part for its' proximity to the downtown area. What a surprise we had once we arrived.

Due to easy traffic coming out of Toronto we arrived at 10:30 in the morning. Our check in time was not until 3pm. Oh horrors, I thought. BUT........ that's when we realized what a gem we had stumbled on.

Lindsay, the front desk manager, was quick to welcome us. Sit and have a cup of coffee she told us, the previous guests had just checked out, and she would have the cleaning staff rush to ready the room. We went for a quick walk and when we arrived back 1\2 hr ready we were given the keys and information sheets about the area. Later in the day, we again visited the front desk where we requested wine glass and beer glass. Though the room does come equipped with regular glasses, Lindsay made sure that we had our requested glasses within a few minutes. When it came to dinner, our inquires about Italian dinner were answered by Lindsay who recommended a restaurant a few minutes walk from the hotel. And she was right ! Dinner was awsome............

The room was perfect. This hotel is the 2nd smallest hotel in North America (Lindsay is a great promoter of local info !) and so one gets the feeling of "home" right away. The bed was very comfortable, not lumpy as some get with overuse, the washroom very clean. The Jacuzzi tub (a real one, not those "makeover" bathtubs!) was a treat. A Keurig coffee maker complete with required condiments was included. Another item that really pleased me was that the windows actually opened !! Fresh air - oh my! And quiet, even though our room was over and beside the outdoor patio, we did not hear any of the music\talking.

As for food, the restaurant is an absolute must !! Refurbished from its' grander old days, the restaurant is beautiful, lots of wood, stained glass............ all the right combinations. Ryan, our waiter, was again, like Lindsay, only to pleased to answer our multitude of questions and provide us a very pleasant lunch. The food was done exactly as ordered, and was delivered in a manner that allowed us to relax and fully enjoy! No rushing !

Late afternoon, after the play, we sat on the patio with some wine and again received above the board attention by the wait staff !

I must congratulate Best Western for the "gem" that they have in this Stratford property. Hotels are pretty much the same, as things go, but for me, it is the staff that I encounter that can make OR break my stay. ABOVE THE BOARD AWARD for this hotel........... we will be back this fall and this time will stay for a couple days !!

Thank you Best Western and all the staff that made our stay a memorable one !!

PS my apologies to Lindsay if I did not spell your name right !

Room Tip: The large king room is a must.......... roomy, Jacuzzi tub, windows that open, and CLEAN !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed one night recently with family and parents (visiting from the UK). Day at the theatre followed by evening at the Parlour.
We had no complaints whatsover...and for a one night stay this hotel did everything that could be expected.
Checkin was smooth and the front desk lady was VERY friendly and courteous.
Not too sure about the complaints about small rooms. We had a 2 queen for myself and my son, and a queen for my parents. Neither were cramped or felt crowded. Maybe it depends where you are in the building but this traveller felt the rooms were fine. I am never sure why people grumble about small hotel rooms unless you are planning on spending the whole day in your room?..which on a theatre trip with evening dinner...you obviously aren't.
The fixtures were as expected...and the Keurig machines a nice touch. Bathrooms clean and well stocked.
We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant..which was very nice...and they catered for my son AND my Dad's dairy allergy with no complaints whatsover.
If I had one minor gripe...I did think the price was a little high..but I can't grumble too much as it was July and theatre season...so I suppose it was expected. I might try and get a better deal next time but will definitely stay at the Parlour again.

Room Tip: Others complaining about small rooms. We were on the 3rd floor with a 2 queen, and 1 queen...and nei...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The good things first:
Cleanest place I've ever stayed
Attractive furnishings
Friendly staff
Good location
Keurig coffee machine with tea as well as coffee
nice large towels

The bad stuff:
VERY small room
really bad hair dryer
no counter space

If I were to return to Stratford I'd probably stay elsewhere. The room was just too small even with only two people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

First, we plan to stay here again when we next are in town.

The staff was pleasant and friendly.

Our room was a bit small but very nice, clean, and quite. The bath was large. Our room had a Keurig coffee maker which we had never used before but was nice to be able to have a cup of coffee in the morning while we got ready for the day. It also had a small refrigerator and a Jacuzzi tub.

The building is historic (old) but in excellent condition and repair. Parking next to the building is available at no extra cost. There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel.

We booked our reservation on line shortly before our trip. We thought that we had reserved a king bed but discovered that we had a queen bed which was what was on our copy of the on line reservation. The hotel was fully booked so there was no chance to change. I did ask at the desk and discovered that many of the rooms had king beds. Lesson learned, book earlier and be sure to get a king bed.

Late check out if requested is not later than 12 noon.

The hotel is a short walk to the Avon theatre and some of the local restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Calabasas, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stay-2 kids, 2 adults
Told when booking the room with 1 king and pull out couch would be plenty of room
It was very cramped for 4 of us.
There was some makeup remover and cotton balls left behind from past guest on the bedroom floor beside the bed.
We tried to eat there, but my daughters burger smelled bad (musty) and tasted horrible and finding hair in a salad and a bowl of ice cream....I have decided not to return.
It is a very convenient location and nicely decorated,

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Many thanks to the friendly folks at 101 Wellington! A wonderful day at the theatre was capped off with a pleasant, refreshing sleep. Our room was comfortable, quiet and most importantly spotlessly clean.
Each of the staff we encountered was friendly, welcoming, courteous, helpful and genuine. My daughter's decree at the end of our adventure was that she 'wanted to hug this city'.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family.

Bedford, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

This hotel is very comfortable, clean, large rooms, bathrooms always large and clean. The location is terrific, at a walkin distance to every thing you want to go to, restaurants, shopping places and most importantly, theaters. The staff is helpful, gracious, and quite nice. The best hotel in town!!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western