“Shakespeare is turning in his grave”
Review of Albert Street Inn

Albert Street Inn
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Terrible place-surprised it hasn't fallen down. Location is good but you pay a high price in terms of peace, comfort and basic necessities.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melrioja
There are newer reviews for Albert Street Inn

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Should have paid the extra $60.00 to stay in another hotel.

Yes the halls are not the nicest, it is an old hotel. That part didn't bother me, it was the fact that the room was very cold due to the winter wind coming in through the cracks around the air conditioner! When I thought I might have a hot shower I was met with a nice flow of brown water and there was not even a bar of soap provided!

Also, checkout is not available until 8 o'clock, not very handy when you have a meeting a half hour away at the same time.

Definately would not stay here again until this hotel is updated.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RedPower_M
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Let me start off by saying that we did not get a chance to stay at this hotel because I made a reservation on the hotel's website for $10.00 a night, After realizing that there must have been a glitch in the rate I immediately contacted the hotel who advised me to contact Michelle the next day....I spoke with Michelle the next day who said she didn't know what to do with my reservation but that she would in touch. Let's just say that I never heard from Michelle, but the hotel cancelled our reservation without speaking to us. The owner of the hotel failed to respond to my inquiries of whether we still had a reservation so I had to scramble to find another hotel since we already had tickets to a show.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stanley-Robinson
Reviewed October 11, 2010

As it is difficult to find a place to stay for two nights in Stratford that is reasonably priced and close to downtown, I once again tried the Albert Street Inn, and then looked at the ratings here. It is true that the carpet on the stairs/halls is startlingly stained, and it is an old building that could use a good reno - e.g. the windows are single glazed, so sound carries easily from the street/parking lot. However, you can't beat the location and the room was clean and the bedding and towels were great, the shower and bathroom amenities worked well. The restaurant has reopened and was fine but there are lots of options to eat in downtown Stratford. I have stayed in much worse for a much higher price in many locations in Europe and the USA - so if you are not planning to spend much time in your hotel room, this would be adequate.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed September 27, 2010

A group of us decided to visit Stratford for the "Savour Stratford" culinary festival. Unfortunately we waited too long to book a room and wound up with a room at the Albert Street Inn.

The positives:
- It's right downtown and just off the main drag
- There is a parking lot across the street and if you go to the visitor's centre you can get free parking passes
- The room we stayed in (a twin double) was a decent size.

The not-so positivies:
- When you step into the lobby it smells FILTHY like it has never been cleaned and like someone has spent the last 50 years chaining smoking in the lobby
- The hallways are dark and worn. There are giant black spots throughout.
- One of our pillows had a giant brown smudge on it and the white duvet cover had faint stains on it.
- The walls are paper thin, we could here the couple above us watching TV and fighting at 7:30AM.
- When the people above use showered the water would come through the ceiling in our bathroom. It sounded like a rain storm in our room.
- When I told the front desk clerk about the leak she just said "ok". Didn't apologize, didn't offer a discount.

While we made it through the night at the Albert Street inn I would definitely not set foot in there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We checked in... walked to our room on disgustingly worn, torn, and dirty carpet (about which there was a written apology on display at the front desk). Entered the room (same carpet in there) and saw a garage sale quality AC unit stuck in the window with rough plywood. Upon entering the bathroom we noticed the cracked and broken tile in the shower that had been glued back together not so well. We asked to see another room and saw a torn couch, badly scratched walls, and the familiar cracked and glued tile in the latrine. Took our stuff to the front desk and said, "we're not staying here". The front desk lady said they were used to this. There was no arguement about refund, the penalty was dropped to $25 rather than 50% of deposit. I didn't bother demanding a full refund. Went to a great place across the road for $10 more....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I have been to Stratford on multiple occasions and have stayed at a handful of charming inns and adequate hotels. The Albert Street Inn is none of these things. As you enter the lobby, you are greeted with an unpleasant aroma, dingy light fixtures with blown out bulbs, and the staircase to hell. I describe the staircase in this manner due to the fact that each (and this is no exaggeration) step had some sort of carpet stain the size of a dinner plate. You hope that this scene will not continue as you climb the stairs, only to find that the carpet stains carry through to the hallways and hotel rooms.

Our room was freshly painted with mismatched furniture, a telephone that does not work (dial tone, but the keypad was inoperable), carpet stains in all traffic areas, a bathroom with tiles in the shower that were full of mold and mildew. The room came equipped with a coffee maker - yet no coffee was available. It was 'on back order.' We had the room cleaned each day...the final day, a clump of human hair (approximately 20 strands or so) was found on one of the "clean towels." I can assure you, as a bald man with a shaved head, that the hair did not belong to either one of us.

On our way out of Stratford, we booked accommodations at another inn - I would not take the chance of having this be my only option for a future visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple