“NEVER AGAIN!”

Foster's Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Foster's Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 140 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Even though we are regular theatre goers, we had never had an opportunity to try Foster's and decided to book it for our 10th wedding anniversary dinner on June 1 2012 before heading next door to the opening night of Pirates of Penzance at the Avon Theatre. When I made the reservation I mentioned the special occasion and asked for a nice quiet table. When I entered while my husband was parking, there was no checking of a reservation book and I was shown to a very plain small wooden table for 2 along a wall. Shortly after we were seated another couple was shown to the table directly across from us and close enough that we could hear their conversation and they could hear ours. Anyway we ordered mussels for a shared appetizer and they were very nice if not terribly warm on arrival. We had heard Foster's was known for their steaks so my husband ordered an 8 oz Manhattan cut sirloin - RARE and I ordered the same but cooked MEDIUM-WELL which according to the grilling guide on the menu should have had a slight pink centre. When my plate came it had my steak, a small scoop of mashed potates and one funny looking beet. The outside of my meat looked very nice, but when I cut into it, it was very red inside not the slight pink advertised. I cut a small piece of the edge and then tried to get the attention of our very pleasant but slightly spacey waitress. When she came over I advised her that my steak was severely undercooked and asked for her to fix it. While I was waiting, I ate my scoop of mashed potatoes and sauce and my husband ate his steak which he was quite happy with. He was finished his meal when my 2nd attempt arrived on the table. Once again looking very nice on the outside, I cut into the meat to find it more rare and bloody than what I sent back the first time!! I had to tell the waitress to take it away as the oozing bloodt was making me feel ill looking at it. When I talked to the floor manager I said the workers I could see in the open concept kitchen looked awfully young and perhaps they weren't up to scratch. In any event when I asked for the bill, the waitress took great pains to apologize and said they had comped the meal. That was all very well but it was definitely not the point to get a free meal. The point was to get a nice dinner for our special occasion and that was sorely lacking. Maybe the kitchen staff were having an off night or maybe the real chef didn't start till later. In any event this is not a restaurant we will ever go back to.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Delishious food and great atmosphere. Good Steaks and good service. Will definitely be back for more.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

The kitchen is not at fault for the bad taste this Stratford restaurant left in my mouth. The food was really quite good; not exceptional, but quite good: crab cakes on arugula, nice, bright flavors. Excellent steak, beautiful presentation. The service--it was very revealing how they treated us. Quite well after they realised that I wanted to treat the couple next to us to after-dinner drinks, ordering a round of cognacs to go with our own desserts, and as we drove up our own bill. Quite poorly, a half-hour earlier when I asked if they might simply make a grilled cheese for my 3 year old, rather than order an adult entree (starting at $20). Now keep in mind, I do not generally bring my 3 and 6 year old to upscale restaurants--I am not one of those parents who will ruin your anniversary dinner-- but this was 530 on a Monday (when the theatre is dark, so no pretheatre rush), when we'd be out of the way. I'd dressed them well, specifically stated when calling for our reservations that we were 2 adults and 2 children, and had already ordered some wine, a steak dinner, a crab cake entree for my husband and myself, and without complaint a $17 burger for my 6 year old girl. It was just ludicrous to think my 3 year old could eat a $30 steak, and they didn't offer any possible option remotely appropriate portion-wise for a 3 year old, nor offer any recommendations, so I thought likely the easiest thing in the world for any kitchen to do up without trouble was to throw cheese (from the burger--I know the kitchen had it!) in between bread and heat it. I thought this would be the easiest, least troublesome thing to request. (and I would have taken any regular thing on the menu if they'd have preferred, but I don't need an adult potion for a three year old!!!!, so I wasn't about to order a full entree for him) But what a face, when I asked if this would be possible--no I don' t think so, was the answer. And they wouldn't. Oh, and prior to being seated, when we'd arrived at the hostess desk for our reservation, we were told that they had booked our table again for 730 PM, so they would have to be able to turn it over by then. Whaaat? Why are you telling me this? First of all, I had no intention of staying over 2 hours with a 3 and a 6 year old, obviously. But really--who is told upon first arriving at a restaurant that you'd better be able to clear out on time? I can't believe I put up with this treatment when I was spending close to $200 for 2 adults and 2 small children at 530 on a Monday, and yes, they would be able to turn their table over well in time for their prime time reservations. Europe this ain't-- they would never be so inhospitable. Won't be back, and won't recommend. I can definitely eat just as well elsewhere in Stratford, with far better service. Oh, and by the way, if you were so appalled that we brought young kids in,even at 530 on a Monday--why on earth did you seat us right next to,and I mean RIGHT next to a young couple that had just been married, having a romantic dinner? The place was wide open. Poor planning. And it was I who had the good graces and hospitality to treat the couple to a drink to toast their marriage, not the staff, which should have been treating them better as well! (and, by the way, the couple were charmed by our children, and lead to our sharing a drink at dinner's end...) Not very gracious service, to say the least. Rethink it, Foster's.

3  Thank lapsangtea
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Pat and I chose Fosters as our Anniversary spot this year as we like to try all the restaurants in Stratford since we recommend to our guests where to dine. Fosters is indeed one of our favourites. The food is always delicious and the service excellent. We requested a table by the open kitchen which is fun to watch and enjoy all the wonderful aromas while the meals are being prepared. If you want great food and service at a reasonable price give Fosters a try. You'll be back.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Everything on the menu is excellent. Steaks are awesome. Big servings. I am a full sized guy and I couldnt finish my dinner the last time there. It was great. I just couldnt eat any more.

Highly recommended.

Not cheap by any means, but I leave feeling I got something for my money.

1  Thank loadedagain