“the SLOWEST burger in town”

Downie Street Burger
Ranked #28 of 133 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Toronto, Canada
“the SLOWEST burger in town”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We chose this restaurant because it is across the street from the theatre where we had tickets to a matinee. We chose burgers because of the name of the restaurant. we were served drinks right away, then waited & waited, then asked twice about our order, then left without eating because the waiter told us the grill was not very large and couldn't accommodate all the orders when the restaurant is busy. There were still several orders ahead of us. So they have lots of tables inside and outside, but not enough kitchen space to actually make hamburgers if they get busy. I never got to try a Downie St burger. We only allowed ourselves 1 hour for lunch! Who knew it would take longer than that?

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Skip-and-Chip

WATERFORD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty good and reasonably priced for Stratford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I usually stick with restaurants mentioned in the Shakespeare Festival guide but wanted to go outside the box this time and saw this restaurant reviewed. Restaurants come and go quickly in Stratford and I was unfamiliar with thsi one. Being a Saturday night, I took the web page's advice and made sure to book a reservation - and I was glad I did as it got very crowded and we had a show to catch. The location cannot be beat as it is virtually next door to the Avon Theatre.

My partner had a burger and it came with a very nice bakery bun. He said the meat tasted a little different but I expect Canadian cattle have a different diet than US. I had the steak and frites - we both liked the french fries which were made with Yukon Gold potatoes.

We did have to wait awhile as there appeared to be a large group that arrived slightly before us. Also the restrooms are clean.

I'm going to be making a reservation here on our next visit.

• Visited June 2013
Hamilton, Canada
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We did not have a lot of time before a 2pm performance but service was quick and food fantastic. Burgers are not inexpensive but very large like so many restaruants the burger options are generally too big after which you feel a little ill if you managed to consume the entire entree. My husband and I split a burger and fries and it was perfect. There were other items on the menu if you are not a burger fan. It must get busy as we overheard a number of phone calls as well as folks coming it to make evening reservations.
Would definitely return the next time in Stratford - located right next to the downtown theatre.

• Visited May 2013
London, Canada
“Dry overcooked expensive burgers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

One of my pet peeves in restaurants is when you get your food and no one comes to check how you are enjoying what you ordered and if they can do anything for you. At $12.95 for a burger without fries, you would think that the burger would be excellent and the service first class. Unfortunately, this is not the case at the Downey. I ordered the burger with avocado and arugula and cheese. The bun was good (Ace Bakery) but the meat was a s dry and tasteless as dust. The sweet potato fries were soggy. No one asked how we were enjoying our food. The location is great...right beside the Avon Theatre...and maybe they were busy because it was Mother's Day, but still..I would not recommend this restaurant,

• Visited May 2013
canada
“Really Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Downie Street Burger is one of the choices we enjoy when visiting Stratford. The burgers are very good, fresh, creative, and filling. Their fries are also tasty. The prices are not those of a buger joint, but then neither is the food, service, or atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013