“mmm meaty smoky yummy”

Downie Street Burger
Ranked #28 of 133 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, Canada
“mmm meaty smoky yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Friday lunch with a co-worker. Not your average burger joint. Imaginative burger selection. We both tried the Downie Burger, which is a prime-rib bacon cheeseburger extraordinaire. Service was prompt and friendly. It had a really warm atmosphere with fireplace and comfy seats. Decent selection of Ontario wines and fine whiskeys (Lagavulin scotch at a burger place!), which was tempting, but we both had iced tea, which was naturally brewed and sweetened with apple juice ... nice touch. The burger was thick and juicy, with a strong aged cheddar to complement the beef and bacon, and topped with onion rings and chipotle mayo. Real good. No need to garnish that burger with anything else. I wanted to try the carrot cake, but just didn't have room.

My only criticism would be the prices, at least for lunch. $19 for a fine burger, onion rings, and an iced tea - not my norm for a work day lunch. The wine and whiskey prices were a hard stop. Can't imagine how much the carrot cake would cost, but at the same time I can imagine the carrot cake would be amazing. No real complaint about cost, there is good value there for the quality you get. It's just that I can't be eating lunch there frequently, which is a shame. But I will be back again.

• Visited March 2013

Toronto, Canada
“It's too bad people aren't willing to speak up”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The burger was really sad. When told it had to be done medium-well I asked for medium and was led to expect something closer to medium or best case medium -rare. It came well done and was a sad, fairly thin patty. Lots of fries, nice roasted red pepper and aioli dressing but not worth $16.99. The waitress asked if I'd like another try, but if they can't get it right the first time .... I'm not going to push my case. Perhaps Downie St is the 'premier' burger in Stratford right now ... At those margjns there's lots of room for competition.

Ontario, Canada
“Awesome burgers and nice buns too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I went to Downie Street Burger in November and we had a very nice experience. The atmosphere is quite welcoming and the service was very good. We both obviously had a burger and they were very good. The sour dough Ace Bakery buns were a great compliment to a well made burger, excellent fries too. Our time was limited so our service was prompt and we'll be back on our next trip to Stratford.

• Visited November 2012
Stratford, Canada
“great burger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

i am not a burger lover, but my husband has bugged me numerous times about trying a meal there because he loves burgers. we went down on new years eve for a meal there that i was not really looking forward too. I ordered the special, a burger with brie cheese, apples and cranberry chutney, it was one of the best burgers i have ever had in my life and would definately go back for another. loved it!! the service was also great, the waitress was very very nice and we were served very quickly. Also one of the best hot chocolats in Stratford!

• Visited December 2012
Stratford, Canada
“Great burgers, a proper meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The range of burgers shows imagination. My fave is the Avocado & Bacon burger, for obvious reason. The buns are gorgeous.
The fries are fresh-cut -- you can hear the thumping of the slicer in the kitchen once in a while.
The service was attentive, in a relatively small space.
If you can agree with your company that it's time for a burger, this is the place.

Visited December 2012