“OK”
Review of Festival Inn

Festival Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed August 28, 2007

The Festival Inn has exceptionally great staff; they couldn’t be more friendly and helpful.

We spent 2 nights in the older part, for us it was ok, for the price it sure wasn’t much in fact a bit shoddy. The location is out of town and you need a car to get to the theaters and downtown. They were having an Italain night at the restaurant off the lobby and that part of the building smelled so strongly of garlic it made your eyes sting.
I think I could do much better for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Thumb

Reviewed August 13, 2007

We (2 parents + 3 teenage children) stayed for a week in two rooms, while attending the Festival in Stratford. The rooms were in the least-expensive category, which accounts for most of the Inn's capacity. The rooms were cramped and uncomfortable. The a/c units were at the rear, in an alcove off the bathroom (by a bare pole that substituted for a closet). We had to crank them up to High to obtain a liveable temperature in the sleeping area -- resulting in an arctic zone immediately outside the tub/toilet enclosure. The blankets were worn and stained, as were about half of the sheets we saw during our stay. This seemed to match the rust stains on the outside of the bathtub. The Inn is absolutely not walking distance from the theatres (or anything else): it's outside of the town proper, on a commercial highway. The restaurant is inadequate and over-priced. We fared better and cheaper at the chain "casual dining" places between the Inn and town -- with truly excellent (if expensive) food available in town. The Inn staff were uniformly pleasant (as indeed were all of the Canadian folk we met!), but the Inn was no better than a down-at-heels motel. We can't speak to the "executive rooms" or whatever, which might be in better condition. We hope to return to the theater festival next year -- but we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Ignotus
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I have stayed in the different hotels within Stratford but I have to say that the Festival Inn Staff was AMAZING!!! They really do care about their guests. They made us feel very welcomed and always had a smile on and wanting to talk. It definetly isn't the newest hotel in town but the staff make it all worth while!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank Toffee437
Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Well we went for a romantic weekend away from home and the kids. I asked for a smoking room and they put me in a non smoking room. I had to walk outside everytime I wanted one and leave my husband in the room. The pool was extremely cold and the hot tub was extremely hot. There was no room service as I was told that there would be over the phone and when we got there they supposively lost my reservation. The restaurant closed early and the food was burnt and horrible. Also a very long walk to the pool from the second building I didn't like walking all that way in my bathing suit I felt very uncomfortable. I asked for pillows when I got there and didn't receive them for 3 hours! there was barely anyone there either. I will never stay there again. I was not pleased with my service. The room smelled like mothballs as well. yuck! I recommend the Arden over them any day!

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2006

This motel is mediocre at best. Admittedly, I stayed in the "motel" rooms, which comprise 95% of the rooms at the Festival Inn but the service and amenities are quite poor. Air Conditioning was inefficient and it took a long while for the room to be comfortable. Ordinarily this would not be a major problem but seeing as how we stayed during the heat wave with temperatures nearing 41 degrees celsius with the humidity, it was quite bad. The rooms are very ugly and dark with a small bathroom which provides no shampoos or soaps in the ordinary sense, you have the "squeeze box" stuff that you will find in gyms or public washrooms. The location is right at the city limits so if you are thinking of walking to central Stratford where all of the theatres are to be found, be prepared for a long walk. Probably 30 minutes if not a bit more. Service is quite poor too. It took 3 calls for us to receive the extra towels we required. Moreover, the room cards to our room failed twice which forced us to walk around in the heavy pouring rain, getting our clothes soaked and making us uncomfortable since the only way to access the motel with the exception of the front desk is with the room key. No apologies or explanations given due to the problem. Staff seemed disinterested at best, negligent and angry at worst. Stratford is a fantastic place and in order to make your experience stress-free and enjoyable, you should not stay at this motel. For the price we paid (which is quite a lot for a motel room), there are much better alternatives for the same price or only a few dollars more like the Arden Park or Bentley's.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed May 23, 2006

We tried the Festival Inn on our 2nd trip to Stratford, and we had a horrible time. When I booked the room over the phone, I was told that the hotel was about 7 minutes walk from the Festival Theatre.Since we planned to park the car and walk around town, I thought it was ideal. Upon arriving, we were told that the walk to the F.Theatre was more like 15-20mns.! When we got to the room, the bathroom was okay, but the tollet water kept running throughout the night. We can also hear noises from the hall, other rooms--we did not sleep very well. We also tried the dining lounge for breakfast the following morning--we didn't like the food either. My family and I love Stratford and now go there every year, but we would never go back to Festival Inn !

• Stayed: October 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kitchener Ontario Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2006

My Husband and I often spend the weekend in Stratford at our favorite Hotel. We are always greated by the friendly front desk staff especially Emma. She has always made all of our many stays with them pleasureable. Checking in and out are quick and easy. The housekeeping staff are always friendly and helpful. We have stayed with the Festival Inn many times over the last 5 years and always come back to them. We always feel welcomed and enjoy our stays from a weekend get away to our Honeymoon to our anniversary weekend. The staff, are always friendly and knowledgeable and are a real pleasure to speak with. The rooms are very comfortable, nicely decorated and are inviting. A very nice quiet retreat when you need to get away and relax. We recommend the Festival Inn to all of our friends and family and will continue to stay with them. Thank you again for your outstanding service.
Terri & Luke