“yet again”

Sophisto-Bistro
Cuisines: Canadian, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Rundles' Sophisto-Bistro will no longer be available. Rundles Restaurant will be open as usual, for our 40th season in Stratford, from May 20 to September 17, 2016. Cheers, The Rundles Team
Stratford
“yet again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

as always, a fabulous experience at Rundles... never a let down in quality

from the staff to the food the attention to detail is spot on and not pretentious making every moment enjoyable and one to remember

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

R M, Public Relations Manager at Sophisto-Bistro, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for dining with us, and taking time to share your review of your experience. We look forward to welcoming you in future.

“The perfect pre-show place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Bistro menu is well organized and include homestyle dishes such as Braised Shortrib. Price range is better than Rundles but with same good quality of food. Service was good and food came in a timely fashion so we were not pressed for time getting to the show. Could use a few more desserts on the menu. A good experience overall

Comox, British Columbia, Canada
“Lovely interlude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

After an excellent lecture with Antoni Cimolino in the morning and a fabulous performance of Measure by Measure in the afternoon, dinner at the Rundles Sophisto-Bistro was a lovely interlude before going to see Mary Stuart in the evening. The atmosphere was soft and serene with beautiful pastel colours and interesting sculptural art, and there was a feeling of lightness with full windows on one side and tinkling piano music. I loved it, but someone looking for "buzz" might not be too excited about it. The presentations of three of the four courses that my husband and I chose for dinner were elegant: heritage tomatoes, BC shrimp and scallops with baby potatoes. The lamb presentation, however, was disappointing -- actually I was shocked by the huge bone sticking up on top of the lovely scalloped potatoes and bed of vegetables. The service was warm and friendly without intruding on the quiet dining experience. In fact, I really appreciated that the waiter did not rush in to remove my husband's plate before I had finished my dinner. We did not sample the dessert menu because we had another performance to attend. All in all, the cuisine itself was not outstanding, but I loved the atmosphere of the Bistro and would go there again.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

1 Thank Darrell T
Fraser, MI
“Flavorful meal but maybe getting a bit pretentious?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time my wife and I visited. The food was creatively prepared with many varying flavors. But first course portions were ridiculously small for the money. Don't need to be fed huge amounts of food, but there is a point when you wonder really what you're paying for. That being said, the food was tasty and very well done.

1 Thank Tomatraveler
Montreal
“Great service, very professional waiters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

To ensure we have a good table after the afternoon show, I booked a table over 3 months in advance with a request to be seated by a window. I was asked to dish out $200 non-refundable deposit ($50 per person) for the reservation and was told explicitly that a table by a window was not guaranteed. It was unbelievable that a restaurant has such arrogance to ask for $200 up front while not willing to accommodate a “by the window” request 3 months ahead. But the best surprise was yet to come.

When we got there, there was a glass wall facing the garden by the corridor leading to the bistro. But there AREN’T any tables by a window at the Sophisto-Bistro at all. There are no windows in the bistro! Why the restaurant chose not to inform me of that is puzzling. The only dining room with windows is the Rundles, which, as I was told, is a separate restaurant serving different menu while sharing the same kitchen.

Despite the negative experience so far getting to our reservation, the service was excellent throughout our meal. The waiter was courteous, attentive and knowledgeable.
The food was very good. The heirloom tomatoes were a hit. The chicken breast was tender and perfectly cooked. The scallops dish had very fresh vegetables that felt like it was picked the morning of. The desserts are fairly good. All in all, everyone enjoyed the food. Even the house wine was appreciated by all. Although all 4 of us at our table agreed that our dining experience at Mercer Hall the following evening was more exquisite and more pleasant to our palettes, I would still recommend this place as a great option for a gourmet experience at Stratford.

As I went to pay, I inquired about the pompous policy of non-refundable deposit. It turns out that they only asked for it when a table is booked way in advance. So, my advice is not to book too much in advance to avoid such an unpleasant experience.

Looking at other reviews, it seems like the restaurant attempts to invalidate every negative review instead of embracing the challenging criticism as an opportunity to improve or develop consumer loyalty. I bet this one might not escape the pompous wrath of the owner.

1 Thank charminglamb