“Avoid”

Noretta Motel
Noretta Motel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Reviewed August 10, 2013

For $50 I wouldn't complain, but we paid over $120 for a tiny room with 2 queen beds.
Refrigerator, but no coffee maker.
Good shower, but no tub.
Maintenance problems too numerous to list, starting with doors that squeak, but don't close properly. One tiny lamp for reading, otherwise only overhead light fixtures that contain dead bugs.
15 minute walk from Festival Theatre, 30 min from other theaters.

Room Tip: Room 11 quiet, facing away from highway. Better yet, find another motel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ax369

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband, younger sister and I spent three nights at the Noretta, July 12-15, 2013. It was pleasant. Basic and simple but clean. The beds were very comfy and clean and the air conditioning unit worked well which was a plus because it was very warm. It was within walking distance to the downtown,and theaters. It was very quiet and very conducive to a good nights sleep.

Kathy F

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kathy F
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed in the Noretta Motel and felt quite comfortable. The room was small but complete, and the location is excellent. Parking is free. I had no problems. I think it was in July 2011. It appeared to be on the upswing, with fresh paint and linens.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Barb C
Reviewed June 23, 2013

There seem to be a lot of negative reviews. I don't know if the owners have changed or pulled up their socks or what - but we stayed 2 nights and had no problems. The rooms are small as are the bathrooms, but this is a $75 motel people! They were painting the outside while we were there and the rooms looked fairly newly cleaned and painted. We had previously stayed at the $160/night Arden Park which is certainly more luxurious. But was it worth double the price? We were in Stratford for the plays and had a wonderful visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsYoungie
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stratford, Ontario is the town where the culturally minded folks flock to in the summer months for the Shakespeare Festival...so you wouldn't expect crummy motels in a place like this. At least I didn't. Now, maybe it was the off-season, so they had to fill their rooms with the help of the Ontario welfare system - that's where the problems begin.
All night we heard fighting and swearing in the room next door. By the morning, the players were outdoors, in the snow, carrying out their little drama for the sleepless audience. At five in the morning, I finally looked out my window to see a drug addled young man standing outside in his underwear, screaming to whoever about whatever. The police showed up an hour later and the drama unfolded even further, as the crazed man's wife (who he couldn't contact anymore) and another man had barricaded themselves in the room. My husband and I filled out witness reports as the motel's owner stood by sheepishly. Not a single apology or offer of recompense came from him. What a loser!
How would I describe the room? Lipstick on a pig might be a quick way of describing it. While it was reasonably clean, putting carpet over a pot-holed floor is not exactly fixing the problem.
Methinks you should not visit this place unless you are seeking a grittier type of dramatic experience in Shakespeare town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AlchemySA
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at the Noretta Motel at 691 Ontario Street in Stratford on Aug 15th 2012 because it was the last room in town and we were directed there by ONSTAR. What a nightmare . The room was 107.35 for the night and once we opened the door we were shocked. The carpet enetring was covered in dirt to the point that we refused to walk on it, We had to cover the carpet with the bed spreads to walk on . Thats when we seen Blood stains on the underside of the bed spreads and dirt. Upon opening the bathroom door thre were towels tossed on the floor to soak up the leaking toilet and sink. The sink was so close to the toilet you could put your chin out when standing up. The windows wouldnt close nor lock. We were afraid to go out and leave our belongings in the room as it wasnt secure and anyone could have just opened the window and came in. The pillow cases were used and stained. We had to request new ones and they were shotty at best . When we left we tried to find the manager to complain but he was no where to be found or Ide have demanded some form of recompence. Beware of this motel and DEMAND to see a room before paying for the night.

Room Tip: ALWAYs ask to see the room before paying the manager - I believe this motel should have a visit from...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mbassmaster
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I will admit that this hotel is a little dirty and needs some renovations. Towels had stains on them, found a spider in the shower, doors were hard to close, bathroom shelf was about to fall, bathtub was slippery, and the air conditioner didn't work too well.

But, I have to say that given you are only paying $70 a night, it is pretty good. I have stayed in worse places for more money. If you are just looking for a place to sleep and don't have too much money to waste, then this place will do just fine. Seems to me that most people have standards that are too high. If you want a fancy hotel, you need to pay top dollar. This is clearly a family business that doesn't have the money to up their standards for now.

The manager was friendly and helpful, as was the maid that cleaned our room. The motel is nice and close to downtown Stratford, which is quite nice if you are there for the Shakespeare Festival. I was satisfied with my stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family