“Good Value but Dirty” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Stratford
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Value but Dirty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I will admit that this hotel is a little dirty and needs some renovations. Towels had stains on them, found a spider in the shower, doors were hard to close, bathroom shelf was about to fall, bathtub was slippery, and the air conditioner didn't work too well.

But, I have to say that given you are only paying $70 a night, it is pretty good. I have stayed in worse places for more money. If you are just looking for a place to sleep and don't have too much money to waste, then this place will do just fine. Seems to me that most people have standards that are too high. If you want a fancy hotel, you need to pay top dollar. This is clearly a family business that doesn't have the money to up their standards for now.

The manager was friendly and helpful, as was the maid that cleaned our room. The motel is nice and close to downtown Stratford, which is quite nice if you are there for the Shakespeare Festival. I was satisfied with my stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MicaBrdar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Dust, spider webs, hairs (in the sink, in the shower stall, on the towels) were bad enough but the pillow coverings had a musty odour and the bedspread looked and smelled as if it had not been cleaned for a year. Truly awful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gizmo007Toronto

Travelers are raving about these Stratford hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The website is decieving and I dont know how they get away with putting beautiful rooms on a website that do not exist. The smell is a mix of stale smoke and mold, like a basement, even tho the rooms are smoke free, i was accused of smoking in them for one. Like the other reviews the bathroom is tiny and we wiped the bathroom floor and it was black on the cloth, we even saw another room and was the same filth on the floor. The furniture is probably from a thrift store and my tv was from the 70's. Cobwebs and dirty walls. The door is a dingy wood door that could be easily broken into. We choose to drive two hours home than stay there and we did not receive an offer for another room or a discount, this man does not care as long as he has your money.

Room Tip: do not believe websites and since this is an only motel not a chain association ask to view the room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Wayne M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The noretta is disgusting. We stayed there for the night of my daughters jack and Jill, well we didn't end up staying there. When we entered the room it smelled of smoke and mold, there was dust and cobwebs on everything. We wiped the bathroom floor and it was black on the toilet paper. The sheets smelled musty so we left to buy our own as we weren't sure were else to stay as were not from the area, we left as we couldn't find the manager, and were unable to purchase sheets because zellers closed. We asked our daughter to talk to them in the morning about a refund as we didn't want to go back to find the manager because now we were late for the event. The next day the manager was rude to my daughter and said said that the bathroom floor is what you get in the noretta and he would have given us another room if we wanted ,however, My daughter went to the other rooms they were disgusting as well. He basically kicked her off the property for asking for a refund. I called later to re ask for a refund and explain the situation, he accused me of smoking in the room so that was why it smelled,and said we stayed there all night even though we drove back to Newcastle at midnight. Not acceptable and our family will be cancelling rooms for the next event there. No one should stay there it is disgusting and has unfriendly and rude management.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank ashleygarlick
Lakeland, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

You must book this motel via phone. I confirmed our reservation via phone twice and we encountered no problems. Do not be fooled by the motel's website. This is not a luxurious setting in any way, shape or form. Parking is available in a lot which is necessary in Stratford as you cannot park on the street at night.

The motel is located on Ontario St, just outside of the downtown core area of Stratford. My friend and I stayed in room 10, with two double beds, a window air conditioner, a fridge, and a very, VERY tiny washroom. The room was clean, the beds ok, but the pillows flat as pancakes. The shower's water pressure was suprisingly good. It was nice to have a fridge, and I think if it had been hot weather it would have been wonderful to have the A/C, but it would have blown directly on both of us while sleeping. We slept with the window open at night - mainly to keep fresh air in the room. Our stay was quiet, with no disturbances in the neighborhood, and our room was far enough away from the street to not be kept awake by traffic.

When I booked this room, it was the cheapest in town. It's definately not worth the money paid. If you're in town for the Festival a night or two, it's adequate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AdventureLass
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

We spent one night at the Noretta Motel when visiting the Stratford Festival. The website is misleading. The room was very small and dingy. The bathroom was TINY! and the fixtures arranged oddly. While the room appeared clean there was a dingy, run-down appearance to everything and the pillows were absolutely flat. We did appreciate having a fridge in the room but there is no ice machine available. Although it was the least expensive lodging we've used at Stratford, I would gladly pay more rather than return to the Noretta Motel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 13bato
Stratford, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

Do Not Stay Here. I made a reservation for my daughter over the phone and before I confirmed I asked if I could cancel the day before as I was unsure of their plans. The answer was yes so I confirmed. As their plans had changed, I called to cancel the reservation, only to be told that I would still have to pay for the room. I was not told that I would have to pay when I first made the reservation. The staff are uncourteous, unfriendly, and would rather have the $72.00 for the services that were not provided than to have a patron leave the office with a positive opinion of the motel. While I am here, I might as well tell you of my thoughts of the place. The web site is very misleading and the pictures are too. I would not have let my daughter stay there anyway. If you need a place to stay in Stratford, please take my advice and stay somewhere else. Stratford is full of lovely low-moderate-high priced hotel/motels.

• Stayed June 2010