“A GREAT FIND”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cambridge, Canada
“A GREAT FIND”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were passing thru St.Catharines and stopped at La Scala. The decor is a little dated but the food and service was excellent. The veal chop and the medallions of veal were nicely seasoned and excellent quality. The home made tiramisu was terrific.I am very particular as to how my cappucino is prepared and they made it exactly as requested. A restaurant worth visiting when in the area.

• Visited April 2013

Welland, Canada
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Seriously some of the worst service I've ever experienced. It was my birthday and my lovely girlfriend made reservations at La Scala for 7:30p.m.. We showed up on time, only to wait 10 minutes to be seated. When finally brought to our seats, we were seated at a small table much too close to our neighbouring tables (on more than one occasion, the waitresses butt bumped into me trying to serve the neighbouring table.) Once seated we waited another 10 minutes to be asked if we needed anything to drink / given menus. More waiting ensued when we asked for a water and pepsi. Finally the server brought us two glasses of water and a pepsi. I should have been a bit more skeptical of this apparently "upscale" restaurant when their glasses were promotional Capt. Morgan Rye glasses, but unfortunately I ignored it. We placed an order for brochette as an appetizer, and 2 pastas for the main course. We waited 30 minutes for the appetizer, and over an hour and 10 minutes for the pasta. When the Main course was brought to us, there was shrimp in my vegetarian girlfriends pasta, even though she asked for it to be made vegetarian. Because of this we had to wait an additional 10 minutes. Never did the waitress ask us if we needed anything, and we had to ask stop her to ask for anything. Once we finally ate the food was above average, but nowhere near worth the price, or wait, or portion size. We we're so dissatisfied with our meal we skipped the planned birthday dessert, and went to the local Boston Pizza for more food since we weren't full from the lack-luster portion sizes of "La Scala." I would highly recommend against eating here. The staff was terrible and unapologetic about it. If you wish to have a good meal, good service, or a good time skip "La Scala."

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank Mag574
st catharines
“Just like an Italian Vacation”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

EXCELLENT. We started going there on special occasions like birthdays, then in their outdoor section in the summer it was just like our vacation to Italy -- outside dining. This last year it was so nice to eat outside we started going their frequently, and now with the cold weather we just keep going there almost every week. (Aside: We do eat at a lot of other places around St. Catharines and Toronto but this is for us, our number 1)
My wife loves the Caesar salad and squid meal (with no potatoes). I like the pork tenderloin mostly, but I change it up. What is an extra bonus is that they have made other things for both of us on occasion like a lovely veal dinner. What more can you ask for. Great food, great people truly buon appetito ...

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ron t
Niagara Falls
“Always Delicious”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

La Scala is our favourite Italian restaurant close to home. The dishes are always made with fresh ingredients and are consistently delicious! In our experience, the service has been friendly and usually quite prompt. My only negative is: if you're seated near the front of the restaurant in cold weather, it can be quite chilly as there is only one main door very close to the dining tables. Ask for a table in the back room to be on the safe side.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank HMBNiagaraFalls
Moorpark, California
“Fabulous dinner!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We both had really, really wonderful meals here. My husband's pork and peppers dinner was absolutely the best pork I've ever tasted and I've eaten a heck of a lot of pork in my days. My cannelloni with mushrooms was divine and a huge serving. The Bruschetta was perfection. A half litre of wine is a nice option too and the yummy Tiramisu is made fresh. The small restaurant is romantic and attractive. The dinner was a real treat from start-to-finish. So glad we tried it!

• Visited October 2012