“Nice but a bit pricey”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A little difficult to find at night it is next to the downtown market. Went for dinner after a long drive to the Niagara area. Seafood and steak specialties in comfortable but dark dining area. Piano bar in basement. Family run with a proud tradition of good food and friendly service. Staff very interested in where you are from and how you liked the food. Started with complimentary appetizer plate of tasty salmon and celery salad; and black olives. Staff kindly split large Caesar salad into two. That salad was excellent with fresh romaine lettuce and a home made traditional dressing. Ordered the special that evening - halibut. Beautifully cooked with melt in your mouth tenderness. Served with beans, asparagus, potatoes, carrots, etc. The fish was cooked well but there seemed to be something missing - a sauce perhaps? Others in the restaurant raved about the calamari. And we were just too full to enjoy the cherries jubilee eaten by the happy family next to us. In all quite satisfying and filling but we thought $43 for the halibut a bit steep. While the atmosphere friendly, food good, there are better meals to be had in the region for less.

1  Thank rgm1058

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have been Mermaid guests since it opened. Tom and Nick remember you....even if it has been months since you were there the last time. The Mermaid calamari is the best, yes, the best I've tasted in North America. My wife swears by their Greek salad. Our last visit, included those two appetizers, as well as Lobster dainties for her and Veal Oscar for me. Prepared absolutely perfect!!! Nick selected a great chardonnay from a reasonable wine list. Dessert (pecan pie) was so good I could have licked the plate. The waiters are attentive, friendly and will take the time to share a conversation....or, if you prefer...leave you to enjoy your evening together. As I said, we've been customers for a long, long time and can always count on The Blue Mermaid for a terrific evening.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went there based on Dnatkin review and it was spot on. I would suggest getting dressed accordingly and avoid bringing your kids as it was causing some stress to us during our meal. We have very calm kids and nothing happened fortunately. Despite that they were awesome with us, getting some fries for them.

I suggest you get the ceasar salad for two that is made live at your table, we enjoyed that. Overall everything was excellent. Its certainly more a couple restaurant and I wouldn't hesitate a single second it that is your objective, it truly is a hidden gem!

1  Thank Jeankalud
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

As you enter, don't be put off by the 1970's decor or the waiters in tuxedos. This is an excellent seafood restaurant with an amazing staff.

We were WAY underdressed (in our opinions) but the staff was very inviting and accommodating. They went out of their way to make our children comfortable with "kid cocktails" and to explain everything from the table side Caesar to local sites and sounds.

The food was terrific and we left completely sated. Definitely recommend.

2  Thank Dnatkin
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

My father was visiting us from uk and wanted a steak so we chose this restaurant.
His steak was very good. We all had a taste and it was very nice. A touch over cooked but good.
The rest however was awful.
My dover sole was supposed to be a special treat and was really bad . I was asked only once when i had a tiny taste how it was but once i tried the rest it was tough . How can Dover Sole be tough? Well if its frozen it may be tough depending how it was defrosted and cooked
Had i known it was frozen i would not have spent $45 on it . I mentioned it and asked if it was in fact frozen and told yes it was - you cant get it fresh in st Catharines .
It was terrible and he offered no apology and said I should have told him earlier but he was not around and I wouldn't want to make a big fuss abd call him from the other side of a restaurant.

They kindly offered to make pasta for my young son. It came with sauce from a can or jar and was overlooked for $15.
I own a restaurant too and my son is also a chef. I feel duped that I spent $45 on frozen fish.
No wonder they were not full.
If you want a nice steak in old dated interior then you will be fine.

8  Thank lorraine s