“We were transported to another place and time - what an amazing experience!”

Fresco's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #25 of 430 Restaurants in St. Catharines
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian, Bar, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Serving up the Niagara Region since 1997. Frescos offers a great variety of appetizers, salads, burgers & sandwiches, pasta, fish, steak & chicken entrees. Children's menu available with beverage and dessert included for our little diners :) Over 40 Tapas served every Monday & Wednesday evening in the Frescos Lounge. Sunday Brunch Buffet every Sunday from 11am - 3pm. Over 12 house wines ranging from Niagara VQA to world wines. Also 8 taps of brew from local craft beer to popular favourites.
Oshawa, Canada
“We were transported to another place and time - what an amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Warm lights, a cozy bar, and fresh, fresh, fresh! We were sick and tired of the same old menus at chain restaurants and wanted something different. My son, who is a cook in St. Catharines himself, suggested we try Fresco's. He said that he rarely visits a restaurant more than once unless it is outstanding....this was his third visit, and I now understand why. First, the setting - though right at the corner of a very busy intersection, this restaurant manages to convey the impression that you are in a cozy taverna in the Mediterranean, or lounging poolside at a Caribbean resort. The palm fronds on the trees lining the patio were swaying in the breeze, and for seating you could choose patio tables and chairs or comfy loungers arranged informally around low-set tables, which conspired to create an atmosphere of intimacy. You could imagine that the glass walls surrounding the patio were in fact the sea wall, with nothing but tranquility beyond. To add to the ambiance, the music playing inside and outside (but not so loud that you had to shout to be heard by your companions, something we detest) was a mixture of jazz, 30s-40s crooners, and european rhythms, which is such a refreshing change from the usual boom-boom-boom of the hip-hop or club music you hear in most restaurants today. Inside, the walls are painted in warm, happy colours, with lots of Mediterranean prints and motifs. The floors are a colourful mosaic of cut-glass pieces arranged artfully in a white background - very unusual and pretty. They are clearly updating the bathrooms, as the fixtures are newer and kind of funky, but the lighting and overall appearance is still a bit dated, however they were clean and that is the important thing. No doubt finishing this project will be on their to-do list, as it appears this location was formerly a bit run-down, but is being updated beautifully by the current owners.

The service was fast and friendly, though as another reviewer said, not overly attentive to the point of being a nuisance. The food was fantastic. We chose to order from the menu, though because it was Thursday when we were there we could have opted for the fresh and lovely pasta and salad bar which was very inviting.

Each dish was well thought-through, prepared and served individually, and presented very attractively. The meals came with complimentary salad and bread, and there was no extra cost to have Caesar salad instead of the house (both of which were very good). It was hard to settle on an appetizer, as there were so many delicious-sounding choices, so we opted for the hot Meze, which included a variety of apps to share. Especially good were the crab-stuffed dumplings - yum! This dish was enough for 2-3 people, and came with a variety of sauces to dip, and lemon slices for the fish. My son (the cook) chose the Baked Pickerel (though he said the fish had a bit too much batter and was a bit underseasoned, but he really liked the citrus rice pilaf). My other son had the Chicken and Sausage Penne, which he really enjoyed. I chose the Zucchini Parmigiana, and oh my, the flavour! It melted in my mouth! It was lovely! But there was no way I was getting through all the pasta that came with it. They offered to wrap it up so I could take it home with me!

All told, the cost of 3 of us to dine (no alcohol) was less than it usually costs for 2 people to eat at one of those big chain restaurants, and we felt we had a decent meal for our money. Most of all we didn't want to leave because we were really enjoying the atmosphere, but it started to get cold on the patio so we headed home. But we will definitely be back!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank sistersofhope

Ottawa
“Linguini`s”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to Fresco`s but decided to go to Linguini`s, Italian just across the street, really good food good price great selection, I liked the outside seating area, and service was exelent

Visited July 2012
1 Thank John F
Port Hope, Canada
“Thanks to all the reviewers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Thanks to all the reviews on this page we found a lovely haven at the end of a long, sad day. We were dropping our daughter off for her first year at Brock and feeling very low after a day of shopping, cleaning and moving. The waitress in this place was lovely, the food was beautiful, everything was perfect. We are going to visit this place again and again over the next few years. Good value for the money. A lovely, lovely place to eat.

• Visited August 2012
Ontario, Canada
“Always a good dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Haven't been to Fresco's in quite awhile since I moved out of the area but going back last week reminded me of why I used to go there so often! The service was excellent! Very attentive but not overly so. The waiter was very friendly and seemed to really enjoy interacting with people. We ordered the crabcakes to start and they were delicious - just as I remembered. They have changed the menu somewhat but that signifies a restaurant that strives to stay current. I appreciate that. My husband got gnocchi with chorizo for his main and it was outstanding! The gnocchi were very tender and the flavor of the sauce with the chorizo was phenomenal! I actually was wishing I had gotten that for myself! I got the creamy chicken fettucine which was good but not great. The sauce was a bit watery and didn't stick well to the noodles unfortunately. But the flavour of the dish was pleasant.

Overall, the meal was a success - great service, great ambiance and great food! We will definitely go more often!

• Visited August 2012
Chippawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Me and my buddies went to Frescoes for their tapas night. Delicious food, great atmosphere on the patio (nice layout), and good staff. I tried a variety of stuff....mushroom ravioli, chicken pizza, crab dumpling, tacos. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the Guinness tapa. It came in a mini glass. Great for the price, but not enough beer to satisfy this love machine ;)
Would I go back? Yes! The patio is one of the nicest I've been to and it's closed concept, so you can stay under it even when it rains which it did. Makes for some pretty cool thunderstorms. Food was awesome. I ate one heck of a lot and my bill was still ridiculously cheap. Thumbs up!

• Visited July 2012