“Surprisingly great meal”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Hamilton
“Surprisingly great meal”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently went here without knowing much about this restaurant. We were looking to try something new. We sat inside although I would have sat outside if rain had not been pending.
The only thing with being inside is the volume is very loud. There is not much to dampen the sounds. We still had a nice view of the water.
We shared an appetizer of the pulled pork egg rolls which was quite tasty. I had the tuna and my partner had a steak. Both were cooked perfectly. I had not had such good tuna in awhile.The wine selection was small, but usual for most restaurants.
I would definitely go back.

• Visited August 2014

St. Catharines, Canada
“Premium price”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My wife and I went to this restaurant - as we have for each of the incarnations of the several dining establishments at that location from the '80s - to see what might be new/good/different from the others.

And honestly, I've read some of the other reviews and I'm wondering if we were actually at the same restaurant.

A consideration you need ask yourself before coming to Pier 61 is "How much is a view worth when dining out?" Old Port Dalhousie has it's own unique charm and this restaurant overlooking the old Welland canal is charming enough to pay a premium - certainly I have in the past. And if your trip includes wandering through this part of Niagara, you might consider the view to your liking.

We made the trip on a Saturday afternoon for lunch, hoping to find a "new place" to have a good meal in a pleasant setting. We found seating on the patio and placed our order but it was just too cool for comfort and moved inside. The spartan decor was, for me, not particularly inviting - dark grey cement, dark colors, black tables and chairs. I guess that passes for 'chic', especially where the attraction is the view. A large bank of windows stretching the length of the restaurant overlooks the old lock, the marina, and a new public walkway. But the view is exceptional and watching the boats, passersby, and the ever-present seagulls and ducks is still the obvious attraction.

I had ordered the Pier 61 burger with added bacon, fries, and coffee; my wife had chicken parm (the day's special, I believe).

I'd like to say the burger was worth $13, but it wasn't. The fact that it was lukewarm wasn't endearing. It was a burger and fries, so what can I say? I sampled my wife's lunch (also served lukewarm) and couldn't quite figure out what it was. I mean, I knew what she had ordered but the chicken had aboslutely no flavor, and the tomato sauce was just that - tomato, and very much like warmed tomato juice. And the second cup of coffee? Also lukewarm... Perhaps it is a particular trend to avoid lawsuits from scalded diners?

Our waitress was friendly and obviously doing her best to traverse the length of the restaurant with food and drink and have it arrive while hot. The general feeling I had, though, was distant and not welcoming. They were polite but like the food, not overly warm.

The obvious, of course, is that we will not be back nor will we recommend it to our friends. Our hope is that the business will continue and thrive, but $45 for lunch and tip for a mediocre meal is nothing I am anxious to return to...

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Russ P
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Well done & we'll return!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This restaurant in Port Dalhousie is located next to the Canadian Legion right on the water. It is handicapped accessible and has plenty of parking. They have a very nice patio overlooking the water and also a variety of tables next to expansive windows from which you have a wide view of the pond the shoreline and we even enjoyed seeing a mother duck and her babies pass by. Live music even plays from time to time. I would classify this restaurant as casual to smart dress, although not dressy. We saw people in shorts, but some women in suits. The atmosphere is relaxed. There are two tiers of the restaurant to maximize the views and there is a full bar in a room off the front entrance where sports can be watched. The menu boasts a wide array of dishes from simpler fare like burgers and steaks to Asian and Mediterranean ethnic dishes. We found the food was fine and the server to be very friendly. There was a willingness to accommodate both vegetarian and gluten free requests for those interested. I would recommend reservations for Thurs-Sun. Our only issue was the houseflies were very much a nuisance and the server apologetically explained that management was currently taking action to control the flies as they had in other aspects of the restaurant. I would return to eat at this restaurant and recommend it. Pier 61 is a welcome addition to the Port Dalhousie business community. This building housing the restaurant has a been home to many businesses down through the decades and fits into Port Dalhousie well and responsibly, unlike the Port Place condominium concept/disaster that has created a war zone appearance and destroyed much of the Port Dalhousie heritage area.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Ciaran49
Burlington, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome food in a nice setting!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife and I have been meaning to check out the Port Dalhousie area for a while now so we decided to make an afternoon of it. We started off at Pier 61 for lunch on a Saturday and it was a great choice. We managed to get a table on the patio overlooking the water. The staff was friendly and the food was fantastic. To start off we had the pulled pork spring rolls (wow is right), I then had the chicken parm sandwich and my wife had a pasta dish which she finished right down to the last bit ( which she normally doesn't do). I tried a local beer which they had on tap and it was perfect for a nice day on the patio. All in all a great meal at a great spot! No better way to start the afternoon before walking over to the boardwalk by the beach. Give it a try!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Car-fanatic F
Byron Center, Michigan
“Whoa! Awesome!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Great view from the patio along with outstanding food (with massive portions) and impeccable service. This place is fantastic. The bartender let us sample beers while we waited for a table and everything went uphill from there!

3 Thank lovessunandbeach