“A fabulous surprise...”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had dined at the Niagara Falls location of this restaurant and was always impressed with the food and unique beer. The Falls location is a microbrewery and restaurant, and I enjoyed the unique food / beer tasting combinations, so when this location opened I was eager to see if it was as good. I was not disappointed. The food was even better than the other location. I enjoyed a strip loin steak, from a local producer who it was said uses free range methods of raising beef...and it showed. Normally strip loin is not my first choice in a steak, however this was grilled to perfection, and was the tenderest strip loin I have ever had, and was one of the best steak dinners that I have had, rivaling Bistecca a la Fiorentina that I once had in Florence Italy. The rest of the meal was every bit as good as the steak itself, and the beers did not disappoint. The service was attentive and our waitress was very pleasant, with a great sense of humour. I cannot wait to return.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband, myself and our son went for dinner last week. You walk in and the decor is very inviting. It looks really nice but the food is terrible. We had two different meals and they both lacked any spices and flavor. We did mention our dissapointment to the waitress but she brushed it off. We will not return to the St. Catharine's location. It's really to bad that we have to go out of the area for good food! Niagara Falls location is very good.

1  Thank taza15
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just visited the Syndicate for the first time in St. Catharines, and was blown away by not only the quality of the food, but also by the value of the fixed price menu!

We were pleasantly surprised to see that there were many entree choices on the fixed price menu - pasta, chicken, fish, beef, seafood, lamb - basically something for everyone! As to the previous reviewer who commented that they were charged $26 for something - you do need to pay attention to the menu. It indicated under the steak selection that additional charges would apply (dependent upon the cut of steak served) and under the seafood selection, an additional $2.00 charge was noted.

We were a party of 5, and everyone absolutely loved their appetizer (3 calabrese salads, 1 baby greens salad, 1 soup of the day) - and their entrees (lamb, seafood, chicken, ravioli and pasta). Dessert was a bit of a hit and miss - two of us had the chocolate tart - and it was a huge disappointment - funny texture to the chocolate filling and the tart shell was obviously pre-frozen, bulk purchased and was dry and tasteless. The apple turnover, creme brulee and cheese selection were a hit, though.

Service was lacking - took the server a long time to get to us - but as we were 5 gals chatting and visiting, it wasn't too much of a hardship. However, we did order coffee that never showed (we weren't billed, however) - and overall the server seemed to be very distracted. It was extremely busy when we arrived, but by the time we were ordering coffee etc., things were pretty slow. Could be typical growing pains of a new restaurant - getting staff into the 'swing' of things!

Overall, can't wait to come back with my hubby!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were quite excited to try this new restaurant, even waited 35min for a table.
Between the horrendous service, asking repeatedly for drinks that never showed... but were on our bill.... having to pay $26. for something we were told was $20... and then the waitress arguing that she must have told us it was more (even the menu said it was $20)... portions were so small it was crazy (3 roasted baby potatos on the plate with an 8oz steak.) Cold (frozen in the center) "warm apple turnover"... and then being told " sorry hope it's warmer next time you come"... ugh never ever again. Would have got more food, better steak and service for the same price at the Keg.

2  Thank Jayla78
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We loved the food. We found it was beautifully presented, flavorful and original. The beer selection is good. We had 2 seasonal beers; a pumpkin ale and Schwarzbeer. Both were delicious.

The staff was attentive and very friendly, and the atmosphere is inviting. We were extremely surprised at the low cost with a 3 course meal priced at $20 and a pint of beer at less than $5 I think. No surprise that reservations are required; it is very busy.