“Beautiful Boutique Hotel”
Review of Stone Mill Inn

Stone Mill Inn
Ranked #2 of 23 St. Catharines B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked 4 nights at The Inn, to attend a wedding reception. We stayed in a Double King Suite, which was grand and spacious and was exactly as pictured in the property photos/website. There was ample room to entertain friends, comfortable beds, good pillows & linens, Keurig Coffee Maker, small fridge, sink, dishes to serve 4 -- extremely comfortable suite!

What we loved... the high ceilings, stone walls, huge windows, and comfortable furnishings that make the suite excellent for entertaining, the iPod dock/stereo, and the kitchenette. I also spent a day at The Spa/The Salon, and received excellent services from both 'sides' of the facility. There was also free WIFI which worked very well for all but the last day of our stay.

Service: Excellent communication / booking via email, and they were receptive and accommodating to changes (we added days to our stay). Upon arrival, there was no shower curtain in the bathroom and the staff's response was immediate and friendly, bringing and installing a new curtain before we could even get our suitcases unpacked -- excellent!

What could have been better... there is central air conditioning, but because the room is SO LARGE, it has to work really hard. There is a ceiling fan which helped tremendously, and we were never uncomfortable, but could have been cooler. It's nothing that would stop us from staying again (and it sure beats some of the older a/c models at other chain hotels that shake and hum all night long) and we wouldn't have traded the large space to be cooler. We absolutely loved our stay and we would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 44-Travelers-44
Manager-SMI, General Manager at Stone Mill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear "Shan_Martin"

Thanks so much for your review! I am pleased to hear the staff were so accommodating to your needs. I do apologize for your lack of shower curtain, it had been sent to be cleaned and clearly never made it back to your room. I'm glad we were able to rectify the situation quickly.

As you mentioned, the Double King Suite is extremely large and I'm sure you can appreciate the problems with trying to cool a large space, especially in a 200 year old building.

We are glad you enjoyed the stay and can't wait to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stumbled across this place totally by accident. I was a little worried by all the poor reviews, but what I encountered was the exact opposite!

We stayed in a King Suite which is a very large room with a sitting area and a pull out couch. The rate was super reasonable and the room was spectacular. They did an amazing job of fixing this old building up!

Reservations and check in were so smooth, Ron took excellent care of us when we checked in, even getting us a map of all the wineries to visit!

This hotel is beautiful and I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank S B

Dear "SB":

Thanks so much for the positive comments. We have undergone some significant staffing changes and hearing things like this make us feel like we are doing well.

We hope to see you again next time you are in the area!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at the Stone Mill Inn a few weekends ago and unfortunately it turned out to be the worst customer service I have ever received. My first impression of the hotel was that it was pretty neat and cool considering it had been transformed from an old mill and they did a great job, however, my trip was ruined as soon as the owner spoke to us at check in. The hotel had double booked our room and asked us to stay somewhere else which was not okay with us because we had things planned around the location of the hotel. When we explained that changing hotels was not a really great option he swore at us and told us "You aren't (blank)ing staying here, there is no room" clearly at that point we had no desire to stay there or give this man our money. The receptionist assured us to not take it personally as he has done this with other customers as well because he can't control his temper. Another couple we were travelling with said we could sleep on their pull out couch which we ended up doing because we didnt want to stay at another hotel than our friends. The couch was comfortable and the room was nice but our trip had already been tainted by the customer experience we had. Also you should know there are no night staff. The front desk closes and if you need anything after a certain time you cannot get it. There is no one to get blankets or pillows from and no one to call if you need assistance with anything. I would never stay at this hotel again unless it changed ownership, its unfortunate that a great building that was saved will probably be run out of business as long as this man keeps running it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank L_Rose13

Dear "L_Rose13":

Thank you for your review. I apologize for any problems you had during your stay. We have now extended our Front Desk hours and are reviewing booking policies and procedures with all of our staff to avoid situations like yours in the future.

Again, I sincerely apologize for your situation. If you would like to discuss further, you can contact me at 905-680-6455

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and it is a very clean, beautifully decorated hotel. I did find it disconcerting that there were no night staff on premise. The TV was nice, but we could not figure it out at all! Internet was not provided, which seems typical in Canada. I was disappointed to find our wine glasses and coffee mugs had been washed in the sink and left to dry beside it. We received a gift card for Johnny Rocco's, which is attached to the hotel. It is your typical North American Italian food. It would be much nicer if there were a boutique restaurant to match the uniqueness of the hotel. I would recommend staying here, as the prices are reasonable, but there is not yet much in the way of service.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tombow

Dear "TomBow":

Thank you for your review. I have passed the comments regarding your glasses along to our housekeeping manager and we will be reviewing this policy immediately.

We do provide wireless internet for our guests, I sincerely apologize that this information was not passed along to you at check in.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back, next time you are in St. Catharines.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Stone Mill Inn in St. Catharines as a small weekend getaway. The decor of the building and of the rooms is absolutely beautiful. They have done an amazing job of turning an old unused eye sore of a building into something amazing.

We purchased our night in this hotel through one of those online group purchase deals that are designed for companies to bring in new business in exchange for offering a discount to the potential guests. Upon arrival we were informed that the gift certificate that was included in the offer, was limited to only one restaurant and not your choice of two restaurants as originally advertised. A minor point as we had decided to try the restaurant that was still a part of the deal.

The room was spacious and well adorned, however you discover that some small amenities are missing when you go to use them. For example, a hair dryer is not provided in the room. Many guests do not pack their own under the assumption that the hotel will have provided a modest yet functional hair dryer for your use during your stay.

Another concern we noticed during the night was that the noise levels from adjacent rooms was higher than you would expect. A couple, who was arguing during the night could easily been heard. It was also at this point that you will discover that there isn't any front desk staff in the lobby after hours, if you wished to call down for whatever purposes.

Overall it was nice place to stay if you are coming to St. Catharines. I would stay there again, however I would bring my own hair dryer and perhaps ask for a room at the end of the hall.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the end of the hall to minimize the noise from other rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear "BarrieGuy69"

Thanks so much for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the room and appreciate the tip about getting a quitter room at the end of the hall. That being said, we do have a 200+ year old building and did as much to soundproof while maintaining the historic properties of the building.

Our rooms are equipped with hair dryers and I apologize that your room had one that was missing. Rest assured, this situation has been rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to St. Catharines!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am going to make a long story short if possible. We booked a room at this hotel in March of this year for a wedding in June. Confirmed. A block of rooms had been set aside for a wedding party. We had 3 other couples we were with. On arrival the first couple went in, got their room and went on to their room. We were next in line and funny but they had no room for us. Not that they didn't have our reservation but someone else staying in the hotel decided to stay an extra night and they felt it made more sense to displace us (though we were all travelling in one car) than it was to send these folks to the "alternate arrangements" they were offering us. Then we find out that they are also displacing another couple in our group. Keeping in mind we had 1 hour to get to the wedding, ione van that we all came down in and the "alternate arrangements" were not what we agreed or paid for nor near the rest of our group. We argued with the receptionist that we had a confirmation, reconfirmed just the week prior and needed to all stay in the same location. The receptionist called the "owner" of the Stone Mill and put me on the phone. His customer service made me speechless. NEVER have I been talked to in such a deplorable, disrespectful way. I was told to go to the other hotel they are offering and get off his property using many choice swear words. The unfortunate part is he had us. There are not many hotels to choose from and we were stuck. I had to put my husband on the phone as the swearing that this man was doing again just made me speechless. Though the receptionist was only doing what he told her to do we did end up sharing ONE ROOM, ONE BED with 4 of us just so we could get to the wedding on time. I found this hotel basically lovely but the experience with the owner makes our rating of this property the worst we have ever stayed at. The owner needs to take some customer service lessons or sell like he does his other properties and let someone run it that cares. Oh, and for the record, he told the bride and groom of our wedding (who had a room there as well) that they may not have a room to stay in either. Can you imagine!? Be careful in dealing with this hotel. I would not recommend it to anyone. At least until it changes management (and be careful as it was already reported that it had change management but it really hadn't).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank R M
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Long, but I think everyone should read. We attended a wedding a few weeks ago. There was a block of rooms booked and we reserved 1 room out of the block, at least 3 months in advance. We went to check into the hotel and were in line with a bunch of people staying over for the same wedding. The 2 couples in front checked in fine. Then our other friends went to check in, in front of us. They were told that the had been bumped to another hotel that was a 4 minute cab ride away. They had their confirmation numbers as did we. The front desk informed them that they had been bumped because their was a couples flight that got delayed and that they were allowing them to stay an extra night. There was a small argument between the couple and the front desk that they actually had the night booked and it was unfortunate but the couples flight that was delayed should be the one that gets relocated to another hotel. (we were at a wedding with a bunch of friends that carpooled together from over 3 hours away). The front desk suggested that we talk to the owner, our friends said they would like too. While we waited for the owner to call I suggested that we all stay in a room together (4 of us) if that solved the issue. The front desk looked at our room and said we didnt have room either, that we also got bumped. So now we are upset, the owner calls and talks to our friend on the phone and says something so disrespectful they wont let me publish. Then her husband gets on the and the owner actually said "are you (explicit) deaf? (full explicits) you dont have an (explicit) room." We obviously could not talk to the owner. After he hung up the front desk said they would bump another party and give us a room that the 4 of us could share. The whole check in didnt have to come to this. The owner is not a good man and hope people read this and choose not to support him. He obviously believes how he acts is appropriate to customers as the front deak said that this was not the first time he had acted out with full explicits to other customers. I read tripadvisor before I booked and saw similar posts to this one but I usually dont believe a lot of the really terrible posts. after returning home we went out for dinner with the bride and groom and they have a similar disturbing story about the owner that happened 3 days earlier but I will leave them to write a review about that if they wish. The room is nice and clean but the owner doesnt deserve customers.

• Stayed: June 2013
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in St. Catharines
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Four Points by Sheraton St. Catharines Niagara Suites
Sterling Inn & Spa
Sterling Inn & Spa
#1 of 128 in Niagara Falls

Been to Stone Mill Inn? Share your experiences!