“Amazing Soups, filtered water”
Review of Rise Above

Rise Above
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Rise Above is an all vegan restaurant and bakery, located in the heart of downtown St. Catharines, Ontario. We use only plant-based ingredients because we believe that it is possible to eat well and enjoy life without harming other species or our environment. We specialize in comfort foods, healthy choices, and fresh baked desserts.
town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Soups, filtered water”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Let me start by being honest. I have been vegetarian for 45 years and can hardly believe the plethora of vegetarian/vegan choices now available. The food is always delicious. Mac 'n Cheese is amazing - hard to believe it is cheesless. The salad greens are locally grown "Victory Greens" you can taste their quality and nutrition - nothing like the boxes of greens at the grocery store, they are tasty and always garden fresh. That said the food at rise above never disappoints us. It is our favourite restaurant. There is always something satisfying for everyone, even the hard core carnivore. Our favourites are the seitan wrap with fries or the bean burrito. Also very delicious is the ravioli. Oh yes and they make their own seitan!!! Wow. The baking is outstanding. Cleaner than almost any restaurant I have ever seen the kitchen of. Don't miss this one!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank nujeff

• Czech first
Ontario
“Love this place - coffee, lunch or dinner!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This place is great to stop for your morning coffee and cinnamon bun, or for lunch or dinner. Always enjoy the food, and most often order the Crispy Seitan Wrap with Roasted Potato Wedges and Garlic Lemon Aioli. The vegan mac & cheese is also a close favorite:). Everything is prepared fresh, dairy/egg free, and you won't be disappointed. I always looking forward to taking home some delicious peanut butter cookies. If you are around on Thursday mornings, you can look for fresh delicious donuts with your coffee! Very spacious and bright place - nicely done.

• Visited May 2013
Grimsby, Canada
“Home cooked vegan food to die for”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went here for the first time last week. Tried the bean and rice burrito and my friend had the seitan wrap. Both were excellent, fresh. Had fries and soup with it and also excellent. All came out piping hot and fresh. The only criticism I have would be that the windows were really in need of cleaning-they were pretty grubby so if you are sitting at the front window all you see is dirt.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jennifer R
Florida, New York
“I wanted to love it - but couldn't”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was excited to go to an all vegan eatery and had high hopes. We went for Sunday brunch around 1:30 and it was very busy and seemed a bit understaffed. The space is pleasant and clean. The available items are listed on a blackboard. They had banana bread french toast, which my daughter got, she liked it but I think it would have been too sweet for me. I had chili quesadillas with salad as did my carnivorous husband. The salad was nice, but I was disappointed with the quesadillas, it just wasn't tasty and was made with fake cheese and fake meat, which I guess I should have expected but didn't. I chose it because the other offerings were Macaroni and Cheese, Curried Tofu Scramble, Yogurt, and Mushroom Tofu Benedict, since I'm not a fake dairy/meat/tofu fan there weren't really many choices for me and I expected something with lots of veggies and beans, like vegan chili, not fake hamburg and cheese. I wish they had had something fresher with more veggies. The baked goods were very good, the cupcake was amazing. No prices on the blackboard menu but entrees were around 10 each. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. If I lived nearby I would try it again.

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank mmosher
Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent for Vegans or Non-Vegans!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have been a fan of their bake goods since they opened as a bakery and were venders at the market. This was my first time coming in to eat. I came here for lunch with my mom (who is non-vegan). We shared the soup of the day (pumpkin), pizza of the day (arugula, potato, mushroom, onion, with garlic aioli sauce), mozza sticks, sweet potato tostadas, and cherry cheesecake for dessert. All the food was beautiful, delicious and fresh! Service was great and the Bill Murray artwork was neat!

• Visited September 2012