“Soooo good!”

Ranked #33 of 453 Restaurants in St. Catharines
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Lovely bistro located on wine route and across from the Performing Arts Centre. We carry a large variety of VQA wines, many by the glass and even on tap. Hard time deciding? We also offer wine by the flight. We also have beer and cider on tap. Delicious and fresh, join us for tapas, for lunch, dinner or dessert, you will not be disappointed. We also have a boxed lunch option.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We've been coming to this place for the last year and a half, and always enjoy the atmosphere. The food is fantastic, prices VERY reasonable and service nothing short of excellent. A couple of recent reviews just do not jive with the experiences I have had in the dozen+ times that I have had at this restaurant and I want to just make a couple of comments about them because I feel they are just not sincere, and I want to point them out.

The "tasteless food" comment is laughable. Obviously someone forgot their taste buds at home. Not once have I eaten here that my palette hasn't left the table in a very happy state after the meal. The food is always fresh and the taste nothing short of amazing. If someone doubts me... try it yourself... but don't forget to bring your taste buds, because they are in for a festival of culinary delight!

The "Even saw a staff member walk past us and proceed to serve food without having washed their hands after their smoke break..." comment deserves some attention... even I know that the restaurant has two entrances (one for employees and one for the patrons). I wonder if this person actually followed the supposed "offender" from the outside and through the employee entrance to see if they washed their hands or not? Any other suggestion means that they simply made an erroneous assumption because the employees use the entrance dedicated to them.

I had to laugh at another comment about being "visibly Italian". What *does* an Italian look like? Well, having been to Italy and Sicily myself many times... respectfully, they look like the same people that you see walking down St Paul street on any given day. Perhaps this person was referring to the negative stereotypical Italian that has a very hairy chest, 4 of the top buttons on the shirt open and a plethora of gold chains hanging along with the requisite mouth full of cotton swabs, in which case, yes, he (or she?), would be very "visibly Italian".

Just this comment alone, IMHO at the very least, makes their review dubious at best and without credibility and unworthy of reading at the very worst. Honestly, who cares what nationality someone is... be HONEST about your experiences there, not childishly insulting nor untruthful about it! Sadly, people like this just make tripadvisor less dependable as a service to find great places to eat at.

Anyway, back to my own experiences there. My waitress Terry was very attentive and fun, her dry sense of humor added to the overall enjoyable experience that makes this place just what it is... a wonderful restaurant to visit for great ambiance, reasonable prices, and great tasting food.

The choices of cold or warm Tapas are very tasty. Of extra worthy note are the paté (cold) and the Mushroom Ragu and my favorite, the Cajun shrimp (the last 2 being warm Tapas). One could almost just order a series of Tapas and let that be the complete meal... but don't forget desert!

My wife had the blackened tilapia and I had the Salmon, and it was actually a tie as to which I enjoyed more after tasting both. Both were rich tasting and savory.

On a final note, I must commend this restaurant for being VQA and supporting local wineries, which by the way, are wonderful. Their selection, though not comprehensive, was more than adequate and I enjoyed the best bottle of wine that I have had in a long time. Bravo to the region's wine makers and to Dani's for being discerning about wine choices and supporting local industries above the rest!

I gave this restaurant top scores in all categories except for romance (which was a close 4 out of 5). To get the top in my rating in the romance area, I would want a small secluded table off somewhere to myself and my wife, but dani's, though extremely charming and romantic, is a little small for a top score in this area.

For the same reason, I gave a 4 out of 5 for the Special Occasions category. It is not the kind of place where one would hold a 75+ person wedding, engagement or birthday party, it is just too small, however, for the "30 person or less" sized event, I would have no hesitations at all about contacting them and knowing that the restaurant could handle it with the usual grace and finesse that I have come to enjoy in the past. Indeed on our coming 45th wedding anniversary, THIS is the place we shall be celebrating it at!

It comes as no surprise that this restaurant is for good reason rated #1 in the Niagara region... it really *is* a good place to eat.

Need I say that we shall be coming back again?

1  Thank james_dod
danimur905, Owner at Dani's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. You put an amazing amount of effort into it and I appreciate your defense of Dani's. As you noted, we had received a couple of strange reviews, but the Tripadvisor management recognized them as inappropriate and pulled them from the site after a few days. It warms my heart to know that our guests feel strongly enough to write reviews about their experience with us, and all of us here at the Bistro appreciate and embrace it.
Because we are a small downtown restaurant we have the privilege to serve customers once...and to serve friends forever after. Thank you again for all the work you put into your review. We will look forward to celebrating your anniversary with you!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have been many times now, for lunch and dinner, food is always amazing, yes sometimes it takes a little longer, but food is from scratch, so that's why. Dani knows her customers and always great service by everyone especially Emily. lots of choices, excellent value. Can't rave enough. Our fav place to go for lunch or dinner. Lots of different tapas, and classic selections. Her soups are delicious.

1  Thank readytobook

What a great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. It"s always easier to get motivated to comment when you don't like a place, so this means a lot to all of us at Dani's. And of course the most important thing is that you keep coming back! Thank you again for your review and your support,

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Dani's may have lost some quaintness in their move to a bigger venue but the food remains tempting and the wine selection better than most. Reasonable, and friendly, I have never had a less than welcoming experience.

1  Thank Dutchess55_13

Thank you for your lovely words and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate it more than you can imagine. Your support of downtown merchants and restaurants keeps us going.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Delicious food, nice portions, friendly and knowledgeable service, great selection of wines. I'd be happy to eat there at least once a week.

1  Thank Diane B

Thanks for coming back! And thank you for your review. Lovely people like yourself who come back and continue to support downtown independent businesses keep us going. It is our pleasure to welcome you. Thank you again,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Dani's Bistro is a great place to dine when in the area. Even worth the trip from Niagara Falls and beyond. We come for the Ice Wine Festival every year from New Jersey and always stop by Dani's for dinner. Every course from apps, tapas, entrees, to dessert never disappoint. The wine offerings are also quite extensive, very good, and reasonably priced. This year my family called ahead and mentioned that we would be celebrating my birthday.

A special thanks to Dani and Terri for making my Birthday celebration memorable. Lot's of fun, enjoying great food and wine. You can get the wine anywhere but you can only get the food at Dani's, and Terri is only at Dani's.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review--and thank you for sharing your birthday with us! Terri and I look forward to seeing you when you get back to Canada.