“Needs some TLC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Canadas Best Value Inn - St. Catharines

You added Canadas Best Value Inn - St. Catharines to your Saves list
Canadas Best Value Inn - St. Catharines
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   420 Ontario Street | Queen Elizabeth Hwy Exit 47, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 5M1, Canada (Formerly Travelodge St. Catharines)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in St. Catharines
St. Catharines, Canada
“Needs some TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This property used to be a Travelodge, and before that, it was The Highwayman Inn. It has been over 10 years since our last visit, and things have changed.

I had a nice discussion with the new management, and they seemed to be quite enthusiastic about their new property and talked a lot about all the renovations they had planned, some of which have already begun.

The location of this hotel is perfect, right off the highway, and close to everything.

Our room was clean, bed comfortable, and the staff were very nice. We did not have the complimentary breakfast, but others said it was good. The price was very reasonable for a St. Catharines hotel at the start of a long holiday weekend. (Civic Holiday)

The hotel in general is starting to look very tired, but I was told that that the renovations are ongoing and the improvements will keep coming. I look forward to returning for a couple of nights again in a year or two, to see how they are progressing.

This is a good place to stay, if you are looking for a clean room, a comfortable bed, and want to save a few bucks.

Room Tip: Your best view would be second floor overlooking the pool. A bit less noise from the highway, and a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here recently with my family. On the plus side, the rates were very reasonable, the staff was very friendly, the location is right on the QEW, the pool was clean and well maintained. But on the downside, the hotel was jammed full, our room although clean and no bed bugs (someone in our party works in social housing and is a bed bug expert) was in need or repair (putting it charitably). The stairs were dirty, the doors between the sections of the motel always slammed shut. The room itself was clean, but there were strange stains on the walls of the washroom and the room itself, the decor was old and very well used, there were chips out of the door. The deadbolt was not there on the door, the door itself would push open unless slammed shut. The toilet was an old style toilet which was good, because I knew how to remove the lid and stop it from running all the time. I haven't stayed at a motel this beat up in quite a while. I'm guessing you can do better if your staying in this area. I will upload some photos I took and you can judge for yourself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in this motel over the weekend. It's an older property that has seen years of travelers passing through. The decor is a bit outdated and what not, however the room was bright, tidy, the beds were very comfortable and sheets clean.The staff is very accommodating and friendly. Breakfast was basic but appealing. The pool was great! This place is perfect for travelers who aren't expecting the Ritz on a budget...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Some how my post was put on the wrong hotel. Let's try this again....We recently stayed at this hotel while visiting the area. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the pool was a wonderful escape from this dreadful heat! It is tucked into a corner of the property making one forget that they are beside a major highway and street! The coffee at breakfast was amazing, and the front desk staff so friendly and accommodating. The girl at the desk knew how to get pretty much anywhere in the area. That was impressive as everyone relies on GPS now a days to get around. We will be back for sure next time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sherri j
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked a non smoking room, but the room smelled smoky which made me cough. Room was very outdated and not clean, found a bug in washroom. Don't rely on their complimentary breakfast if you are not starving to death, you don't want to eat it. Not comfortable bed, TV was blurry. Only bath and face soap were provided. Not worth the price at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these St. Catharines hotels

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I just recently stayed at this inn and I must say this place took me by surprise. I travel a lot due to my job and usually my company books my hotels but because of short notice I was stuck without a reservation. I called a couple places and because Niagara area is so busy I decided to get a place in st catharines.

Details- paid 79 dollars for a weekday night for a king bed .. staff was kind enough to help me get on the wifi .. I arrived at 2 am and as I waited for an email the gentleman at the front made me a cup of coffee which I was in need of. Quiet yet ideal location... clean and comfortable ... staff gave me a courtesy call to ask how anything was and if I needed anything to give them a call at anytime.

This 1 night stay actually turned into a 6 day stay and I was glad I didn't end up anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Abi G
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

paid 119.95 on Canada day long weekend which I thought was a steal (the sign does say 59.95 people but it also says starting from... However I did ask them what that meant and they said it was a daily rate given to people staying for week. The 119.95 included parking, internet, a sparkling outdoor pool, easy access to the qew and a light breakfast.

staff was amazing .. funny helpful and accommodating for a early check in

the place is under I guess a new management and the new people are really doing a good job to bring it up. Why stay somewhere for 3x the price when you feel more at home at a place like this.

My kids enjoyed the pool.. my wife and I enjoyed the stay.. keep up the good work Canadas Best Value Inn

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3.5 of 5 stars 39 reviews
Days Inn St Catharines Niagara
#4 of 7 in St. Catharines
3.5 of 5 stars 93 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#12 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
4.0 of 5 stars 910 reviews

Been to Canadas Best Value Inn - St. Catharines? Share your experiences!