“Could be better”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Canadian
Neighborhood: Fairview - Facer
Neighborhood: Fairview - Facer
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Since Shoeless Joe's is chain restaurant you expect consistency in all aspects. We were greeted and seated quickly. Seems to be important for the staff to mention where the bathrooms are for some reason (twice). Had a sense the food order would be slow based on an unhappy customer who left rather quickly. On the negative side, the fruit flies hovering around our beverages were irritating. Also when we finally ordered, I got the sense that the server was trying to be apologetic even before we actually ordered - he was saying that service may be slow because the adjacent dining room was very full and they had to keep going back and forth. I hope this wasn't his excuse for bad service. In any event we got our meals within an expected amount of time. When the server came back to ask how everything was I mentioned that my burger was very burnt on one edge - I was removing it off the patty, and the server said "accidents happen". Definitely something you don't want to hear in a restaurant. Overall I feel we it could definitely be better and we will not be returning any time soon.

3  Thank SerenityNow_10

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My initial views of the restaurant haven't changed much. Had a different server this time. Martin was a good waiter. Whether he is "queer" or not is really irrelevant as that seems to be a factor for another reviewer here. Personal remarks such as that don't belong in intelligent reviews.

2  Thank Ciaran49
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My son and I pop in a couple of times a month during the winter especially to watch the Leafs on TV. This bar is ample with big screens and small screens at your both so it is possible to watch multi events. On week nights we can usually get a decent deal, sometimes we have to wait till after 9..probably my only complaint would be to make it after 8.Martin is usually our server, this guy is gifted with great personality and inter personal skills. We are always looked after, he looks after us like he is a guy like us, not some queer waiter. I recommend Martin to anyone going there, I hope this place pays him well as if it wasn't for him we wouldn't drop a hundred and change a month. Also they have LEAFS TV!!!. Most "sports" bars in the city are too cheap to ante up the extra costs..

1  Thank DKW54
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This bar-restaurant is mostly a sports bar. The music is loud, and there are televisions all over the place with various sports events. The décor in the bar aspect and sit-down section is dark, and features sports memorabilia. This bar and grill was not busy at supper time, with only one man at the bar and three tables busy. We were not greeted by a hostess so we were uncertain as to whether we could seat ourselves with no signs. The soup of the day was okay, but unremarkable, and the vegetarian flatbread dish was a bit better than that. The two dishes took a long time to come to our table for how busy it wasn't. A sit-down, table-service restaurant is quite needed in Fairview Mall as an alternative to the food court, but I think this place could be better. I understand the comment of the reviewer who came with sisters to "watch the game". I think it might be better for that purpose than for a meal. I'm not in a hurry to return.

1  Thank Ciaran49
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My girlfriend and i decided to try this restuarant to have a nice lunch to catch up. I have heard mixed reviews and wanted to judge for myself.

We walked into the establishement and the restaurant was completely empty no hostess or manager to greet at the door. After a few minutes i wandered around to the bar area and asked if they were open she said yes just grab a seat and i will be with you in a minute. 5 minutes later the girl brought us menus. She explained about the drink specials and said she would give us a minute to decide on a drink. 5 minutes later yet again she returned and we ordered our drinks. then again waited 5 or more minutes to order our food.......time did not seem to be a priority for this girl. When she returned we ordered our food. salad and pasta...we received our salads promptly and then the pasta almost right after.....food was good a little fast to fast to enjoy our salads. The server never came back to check on us( she only had 4 tables :( )

The manager must have noticed we were agitated or something as he tried to overcompensate for some reason..... trying to upsell the establishment trying to get us to come back after 9. The waitress never did come back!! we got our bill and was billed reg price for the salads when they should have been $2.99. I felt for theprice of the pasta the salad should have been included in the price....outrageous!!! We then had to search for her to change the bill for yet another 5 min......we spent more time waiting .....our time is valuable and clearly this girl should be trained better or manage her time better. The establishment should have someone in both the bar and the restaurant to ensure the customers needs are fully met.

Do not use the restrom or touch anythign while you are there... all glass surfaces were disgustingly dirty. The mirrors in washroom look as though its been days since cleaned. Teh taps and counters were caked with gunge. i felt filthy after going in there. Not high on priority list i guess

Clearly a HUGE disappointment!!

I would never recommend this place to anyone and will never return.

1  Thank s s