“Acceptable place for lunch or dinner... nothing fancy but no problems either!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Joey Calzone's Italian Eatery & Bar
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Acceptable place for lunch or dinner... nothing fancy but no problems either!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My significant other and I were visiting Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, over a weekend in December 2012. We had been walking around Station Mall for a little while and wanted some good sit-down food for lunch. Other than Joey's, the only other dining options in the mall are fast-food places in the food court.

This was a Saturday afternoon, and it was not terribly busy. We didn't have to wait to get to a table, and our server was friendly and helpful. She worked hard. I had a calzone which was very good, and my partner had a fish-and-chips plate which he liked as well. At first, the server suggested a lemon pepper sauce which my partner was not too crazy about. She asked what he thought, and he answered her question honestly. She then suggested a garlic mayonnaise which was much better.

We had no complaints. The atmosphere is pretty nice (typical sports-bar feel), and we had no problems with anything. The restrooms were clean, and the restaurant has a pretty nice view of the Saint Mary's River behind the mall. (Plus they offer outdoor seating in the summer.) The next time we find ourselves at the Station Mall around a mealtime, we would likely eat at Joey's again without thinking twice about it.

• Visited December 2012

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“One of many”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is by my standards a good restaurant. Having said that I qualify my statement by saying that our city has many Italian restaurants to choose from, so competition is stiff. The staff provide a quality dinning experience, within the range of what I would expect in a sports bar. I haven't found any major negative issues with my visits to Joey's. Neither have I had any over the top fantastic great meals here either. It is certainly adequate in every respect, so far as service, food quality and atmosphere. Sports bars are not a venue that I choose primarily since I have a very difficult time hearing my companions and therefore struggle to carry on a conversation.
Good and not negative issues just not really my sort of thing.

• Visited February 2012
Stratford, Canada
“Better than the average mall restaurant”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Ate a quick dinner here - Caesar salad and a whole wheat quesadilla. Not going to be a destination restaurant, but more than adequate. Big bar area, dining area behind. Standard menu, seemed competently done. Not inexpensive, but may have been spoiled by coming back from the US, where restaurant food of this kind is incredibly cheap.

• Visited October 2012
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very High Priced”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Food was averagebut very pricey for a mall eatery..nothing special at all. Very disappointing actually.. UBetcha was much better actually and they failed HMMMM....

Visited May 2012
Windsor, ON
“Pre-Game Heaven!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

For as long as I can remember, Joey's Twisted Italian in the Station Mall has been THE place for pre-Hounds' game meals. The service is fantastic, the menu is great, and the prices are very reasonable. We've always run into hockey fans there and it's never been a bad time.

Visited September 2012