“Would not go back”

Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The sign on the door reads "Joey’s Twisted Italian Grill & Pub" but appears to be the same as "Joey Calzone's Italian Eatery & Bar". I had a seafood sampler type dish - the broiled shrimp and salmon was good but anything fried was overcooked and tasteless. The restaurant was out of garlic mashed potato which was listed as an option with the seafood and was a staple with many of the meals. My wife had chicken fettuccini which was just warm when served and was cold and sticky before long. The friendly service was the only saving grace of this restaurant.

1  Thank Leisure_Traveler37

Reviewed February 14, 2011

This appears to be a new location with no room to move around, the service is very slow 25 minutes to get a simply drink order and 1.5 hours to get food that arrived overcooked and cold? If that makes any sense. I had the chicken parm and my had the fish, my chicken parm was edible at best, vegetables over-cooked and cold, my wife fish was the worst she ever had and she did not finish her meal.

These people running the place need a visit from the Kitchen Nightmare TV show.

1  Thank travelled_lots_more
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Nestled in the Station Square Mall adjacent to the Tour Train in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada, is a lovely bar and grille called Joey Calzone's. We (my hjubby and I) were part ofa bus tour, had just gotten off the tour train; we were exhausted, thirsty and hungry.
It has a homey atmosphere, we were seated promptly and waited on quickly. Their 20 oz. draft hit the spot. The menu was diverse and we finally decided on the Prime Rib Melt for hubby and the Chicken Caesar Wrap for me...amazing!!!
We'll be back next time we're up that way...oh and our bill was reasonable too..$40 to fill us up!

Reviewed August 9, 2010

The restaurant is in a mall and has decor full of kitsch. We chose to eat here for convenience---it was across the street from our hotel. I was expecting a very mediocre meal.

My order of baked cappeletti (similar to tortellini) was perhaps the best pasta I've ever been served. It was perfect in every way. I would return again and again for this dish.

My companion order the Caesar salad. It was nothing special and I wouldn't recommend it.

Service was friendly and fast. (The restaurant was less than 1/2 full when we visited.)

This restaurant seems to be popular with families.

Reviewed November 19, 2009

My wife and I popped into Joey's late at night expecting it to be closed but the kitchen is open very late, till 11 PM I was told. We ordered soup, Greek salad & bruschetta. The prices were fair but when the portions arrived, the prices seemed like good value. The soup was delicious and the Greek salad was fresh, filled with feta and onion, and all the good stuff. The atmosphere is good.

2  Thank sirtravelalot1