“Better at the grocery store!”

Gino's Family Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Food is disgusting ! Spaghetti with "marina" sauce was canned tomato sauce and 2 rock hard meat balls! Nothing "Italian" in this restaurant!!!!! Never again!

1  Thank Katchitaroni
There are newer reviews for Gino's Family Restaurant

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Gino’s on Saturday. We usually eat out on Saturday’s but had not been to Gino’s for over a year. Unfortunately, things have not improved from our last visit.

On the positive side, both the garden salad with house dressing and the Caesar salad were fresh, well prepared and large, even if they were served in a cheap plastic bowl. It was downhill from there for the most part.

Only a single fork and knife were provided and you were expected to reuse them for the main course after the salad. The sliced Italian bread was a nice touch even if it was dry and the butter was served in little plastic containers. There was no side plate to place the bread or rest the knife.

My wife had Whitefish and I had Veal Parmagiana. The Whitefish adequate but the Veal Parmagiana was less so. It looked and tasted like a TV dinner out of a microwave.

However, the real kicker came when I was charged full price for a re-fill of a glass of diet cola, something I have not experienced in a restaurant for years.

The total bill was largest in almost a year of eating out in Sault Ste. Marie.

Our waitress was pleasant and efficient and well deserving of her tip.

It will likely be a long time before we return to Gino’s.

1  Thank Wilf L
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have had Gino's deep fried 13" Panzeratti 3 times in the last year. Once in the restaurant-an average experience, nothing bad, nothing great, very informal dining
... but I loved the Panzeratti! very full of whatever ingredients you order, I always get the 'meat lovers' and its stuffed with tasty ingredients.
In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I got a copy of their menu and have ordered it to be delivered 2ce. Each time it was still very good. Its a huge meal, I often can only eat 2/3's of it and have the rest for lunch the next day (you can also get it baked, not fried). One warning when getting it delivered, make sure you order the sauce to go with it or they wont include it.
To be honest, my brother went with me the first time we went to the restaurant, and he felt his meal (dont remember what it was) was decidedly average.
In any case, a huge thumbs up for the Panzeratti, the best in town and only one done like when I was a kid in the Soo

Reviewed March 7, 2013

As other recent reviewers have noted, the food is bad, bad, bad. Boring, bland, just not what I would expect from the number of people in the restaurant. The place was busy and we were drawn to it due to he number of vehicles parked around the place. I have no idea what these people saw in this place. I am sorry I did not read the reviews before I went there.

2  Thank Gringotraveler99
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I used to only go to Gino's for breakfast and now i remember why. It is supposed to be an a family "Italian" restaurant yet the Italian menu items were the worst tasting. The pasta sauce was watery, very salty and tasted like it came from a can or a jar. I ordered grilled pickerel but it was definitely deep-fried. My girlfriend had shrimp that was battered and deep fried to a crisp - tasteless. The only good reviews on here i'm sure are coming from people who prefer to eat at truck stops and other greasy spoons.
Take some pride in your restaurant and your heritage

1  Thank PlasmaXX