“Clean & Comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles

Super 8 Sault Ste Marie ON
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
“Clean & Comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Our family has never stayed at a Super 8 but decided to trust the reviews. We spent three nights at this motel and found the place to be clean, quiet and the personnel friendly. The king size bed was very comfortable and the pillows were not overstuffed as you find in many hotels. Much more comfortable for my neck. There is a basic continental breakfast which consists of muffins, bagels, danish, toast, instant oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, waffles and various drinks. We came late one morning when they were putting the breakfast items away and they offered to wait if we still wished to grab a quick bite. It was conveniently located for activites and food establishments. On a whole, we received much more than I expected for the price and would stay again.

Room Tip: We had three rooms with king size beds all had plenty of room. The rooms located in the NE corner o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kris F
Gary R, Director of Sales at Super 8 Sault Ste Marie ON, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Glad to hear that you feel you received more than you expected for the price paid for the room. Value is our number one goal and we were so glad to read your review at our recent sales meeting, it really made our day. Hope you have a great day too and thanks for taking the time to do a review for us. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Super 8 in the jacuzzi suite. It was spacious & immaculate with a great view of Great Northern Road! The bed & pillows were very comfortable. The front desk clerk was helpful, pleasant and genuinely nice which is rare. The hotel was impressively clean. Breakfast was excellent too! You can tell this is a very well run hotel and you can tell the manager & staff take pride in their jobs. I can't say enough good things! All around great experience~you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: If you want to splurge get the jacuzzi suite~well worth the money!
2 Thank Jennifer S
Glad to hear that you were so pleased with our jacuzzi suite. Thanks also for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our hotel. From management to staff we were all very pleased to read your review at a recent staff meeting. You really made our day. Hope you have a great day too.
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We arrived very late for our check in and despite the late hour we were greeted by the front dest clerk in a very friendly,helpful and curteous manner. The room was a good size and was spotless!The beds were very comfortable and the pillows and bedding were well above expected.. When we needed assistance the following morning with some business matters, the sales director Gary Rooley was most accomodating. This hotel was also very close to restaurants and shopping. We were extremely satisfied with the professional service that we received at this hotel and would recommend it highly.

1 Thank Rob R
GMSuper8SSM, Director of Sales at Super 8 Sault Ste Marie ON, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Our team really enjoyed having you here. We hope that you are having a good summer. I'm glad that I could be of help with the business matters when you were here in the hotel. Our team hopes that you will come back to the Sault again sometime and stay with us again, until then, take care.
Fenwick, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were driving from Fenwick, ON to Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie was our 1/2 point. The staff at the Super 8 was very friendly. The room was clean and spacious.
The breakfast was pretty good. My kids really like the waffles :)

We enjoyed our stay so much on the way to Thunder Bay that we stayed another night on the way home from our trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank krodglas
Gary R, Director of Sales at Super 8 Sault Ste Marie ON, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Glad that you found your room to be clean and spacious. We are so glad that you stayed with us while on your journey west. The make your own waffle station has been a huge hit with children and adults, and we are very pleased that your children enjoyed it so much. Since then we have recently added french toast and more cereal choices to our complimentary breakfast. We do hope that you will come back and visit again. Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review--we appreciate that very much. Hope to see you again soon.
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband & I were on the move again, this time from Alberta to Ontario. We had stayed at this very hotel in 2010 when we moved from Ontario to Alberta and had a decent stay, so this time we didn't even look around for a hotel, we just called directly to the hotel & booked it, specifically requesting a non-smoking pet room. After over 8 hours on the road we finally arrived around 8:00 pm ... only to open the door to the room and be smacked in the face with cigarette smoke! So I went to ask the girl at the front desk if they had any other rooms, as both my husband and I are non-smokers and VERY sensitive to it, not to mention our 4 pets. Well, she all but called me a liar because it is a non-smoking room, so it couldn't possibly smell like smoke. After advising me that there was only one other non-smoking room available where the people hadn't checked in yet, but she couldn't give it to me because the people that had it booked had requested it specifically ... I asked about my specific request when we booked our room and was basically told that I could not be accommodated! After a few more minutes of being accused of being too sensitive and it must be from the smoking rooms above, I told her we would just find another hotel as it was now approaching 8:30 pm, and it did not appear she would help me anyways. It was at this time she decided to involve the maintenance man, why she thought he needed to be involved is beyond me, who proceeded to tell me to wait until he emptied all the garbage and then he would go check the room ... really? I understand that a person in this position is not in it for the customer service aspect of it, but you don't tell someone at 8:30 pm to wait another 10 - 15 minutes while you empty garbage before you'll help them ... I could find another hotel in that time! He decided to check the room first and went down right away. He called up to the front desk to advise that it did in fact wreak of cigarette smoke ... but I am a liar, right?! I was advised we wouldn't be charged for the room - I should think not - but you know it was after 6:00 pm I was informed, so we could technically be charged for the room - can you believe this?!? I was told they would call around for us, to find another hotel, so we didn't have to drive around (gee ... thanks!) so I advised them that while they were doing that I would go back outside to tell my husband (who had the dogs out for a pee & to stretch their legs) and get the room keys to give back to them and I would be right back to see what hotel they had found for us. I decided to send my husband in because I had my fill of the pathetic customer service ... when he finally came out about 15 minutes later I found out that his experience was just as bad ... he went in and waited in line to hand the keys back to them and it turns out they were giving our room away already (the one we still had the keys for) and proceeded to advise this new customer that apparently the room wasn't suitable for our pets in a VERY snarly tone ... my husband was appalled as he was standing right there! The motel they had booked us in was very low end, one we would never have even considered on our own. But it didn't stink like cigarette smoke! Our story does not end there unfortunately ... the next morning we went back to speak to a manager about the way we were treated the night before ... the lady at the front desk at that time was great! Very obviously a proper customer service focused individual, she was amazing! She was very responsive to us and quite appalled by the way we were treated the previous night. When the general manager walked in, she told him he should hear our story. What a waste of time that was! We proceeded to tell him what had happened the night before - and to our disgust he never apologized even once for the way we were spoken to and treated. Instead, he proceeded to justify the fact that a non-smoking room stunk of cigarette smoke! His justification of it was that room and one other non-smoking room had recently been renovated (No mention of this from ANYONE else thus far). He proceeded to tell us that they used to be smoking rooms and when you pull the carpet up & put new carpet down it releases the cigarette smell and stinks for about 2 weeks afterwards ... so I asked why they put people who specifically requested a non-smoking room in there without at least telling us this when we booked the room and all he could reply was that It was a non-smoking room we were in. I would like to know Super 8's criteria for hiring their General Managers. To not even apologize once for the way we were treated - isn't that customer service 101?!? We will NEVER stay there or in another Super 8 again, but I will be sure to pass along my experience to everyone and anyone I can!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GMSuper8SSM, Owner at Super 8 Sault Ste Marie ON, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Since you and your husband have left and both wrote a review here on tripadvisor we have worked extremely hard to overcome the new carpet smell in the newly rennovated rooms. It is unfortunate that we could not move you to a different room, however we were at 100% occupancy that night and could only help you to book at another hotel that accepted pets and invite you back for breakfast. I am very sorry for your experience I apologize for what happened. As you can see from the majority of our reviews on this page we pride ourselves in offering great customer service and a great product which is further supported by our internal satisfaction surveys and measurement tools. We hope you do choose to stay at a Super 8 in the future, as they are all independently owned and operated.
Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay. The staff were all very congenial and the room was spotless and had everything we required. We found the beds and pillows very comfortable and although in a busy area the room was very quiet.
We liked how central the Motel was to stores and restaurants.
We would definately come back and stay there again.

1 Thank Crystal D
GMSuper8SSM, General Manager at Super 8 Sault Ste Marie ON, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you so much for leaving us a review. Our sales team was eagerly awaiting a review from you and your husband as you were our first Shop and Stay package. We look forward to continuing to provide a great experience for you and other families across the North Shore. We hope you have an amazing end to your summer season, see you in the winter! Cheers
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have had very pleasant experiences at the Super 8 chains, this location included. The staff are friendly, willing to go that extra step to help you feel comfortable away from home. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The last room I was in was a bit worn, but not surprising as this hotel sells out often. The continental breakfast is an absolute draw, especially for travelers who enjoy a light breakfast before hitting the road. The location is ideal for those hoping to stay near the TransCanada. I would stay again but it is fully booked for my next drive through.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Solotripping
Thanks for staying with us and for doing such a nice review of the hotel. We have recently completed many updates in the hotel and hope that you will stay with us again to see the many changes that we have made. Glad to hear that you liked the continental breakfast.....we have added more hot and cold items to that as well. We sincerely hope that you will stay with us again.