“PLEASANT AND VALUE FOR MONEY”

Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie ON
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Toronto, Canada
“PLEASANT AND VALUE FOR MONEY”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is my second visit to the Howard Johnson, i saw lot of new faces at the Front Desk yet they were pleasant and accommodative. Saw a major improvement on the breakfast buffet, certainly the variety of the spead looked good. The room was clean and smelled fresh. It was good value for money, I felt the hotel was busy with lots out of state travellers.

The property requires constant maintenace and upkeep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nadesan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I dont even know where to begin! The front desk clerks bickering amongst themselves instead of checking us in, the lack of toiletries and towels but abundance of someone elses hair in the washroom, the old cigarette butts I found when I shifted the bed to access a plug, the mouldy bagels in the breakfast room, or the argumentive(bordering on combative!!!) clerk when checking out! I think next time, I'll take my chances on the $50 motel up the street!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is convenient and, by the Soo standards not too expensive... good parking, staff pleasant, breakfast ordinary but free... but oh gosh the hotel was filthy. From the bathroom to the carpet to the bed quilts. It looked as if there was mold growing around the ice machine, the stairs were not vaccuumed. I don't mind and older hotel that needs updating, but there is NEVER an excuse for dirty. Sorry, never again!

One other irritant, free wifi. It was free and it was there, but over a full afternoon and evening, there was only 1 hour that it was working... presumably not strong enough for the size of hotel.

Room Tip: A/C unit allows for fan only, good white noise for the busy room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here as a last minute thing. I would never go back here EVER! The first room we got smelled like cigareet smoke on a non smoking floor. The second room we had seemed to be ok, until my fiance saw the bed bugs on the bed under the pillow. There were TONS of them. Took a cup, put some of them in and took them to the front desk. He says "i've never seen them before". I'm sure the maids have, how can you miss them. They were not small ones either! We got out of there quick! SO DISGUSTING!!!! DO NOT EVER STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: I just would not ever stay here. DISGUSTING!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The front desk guy was fast asleep...We tried waking him up for some service we couldn't....The room was dirty lots of hair in the bathroom.....The towels were disgusting very dirty...came down for breakfast it was not ready....never stay there again...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Val-Cote
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Planning a trip to Sault St-Marie Ont at the last minute, I needed to book a few hotel rooms for 3 nights. Having slept in a few Howard Johnson in the states before and being satisfied, I decided to give it a try in the Soo.
After reading many mixed reviews about the Howard Johnson in Sault St-Marie On, I was concerned about the room quality even before I got there, but since it was the only hotel left that could accommodate our stay at what seemed to be a reasonable rate, I decided to try it out and book two rooms to accommodate my family.
To my surprise, my son’s room was in excellent condition; the bed mattress looked and felt fairly new. Overall, a clean and comfortable room but noisy. The water pipes in the wall were banging intermittently and there was a rattling exhaust fan running somewhere that he could hear throughout the night. The wall soundproofing was next to none, we could easily hear anything going on in the hall and next door.
My room was not as nice and far from it! As I usually do, I checked the bed sheets before moving in and although the sheets looked clean, there was what looked like dryer lint in between the sheets of the second bed. There were also some redish stains on the mattress and box spring, something that I had read about in the past reviews but it seems nothing has been done about it. The beds were worthy of a hunting cabin, no plush top and lumpy, you could even feel the coil springs in some area and they had the upward curve that you only find on wornout matresses. As far as the desk and dresser, it doesn’t weigh much on the room comfort but they were worn down. The vacuuming looked like it was done half fast, only the main pathway seemed to have been done. Under the desk and near the wall you could still see dirt, contrary to the other room. The outside entrance door had been broken in the past and repainted over with blue paint. The door is still cracked and it even has an “s” shape to it due to prior damage. It doidn't seal properly, you could see daylight around when closed; beware of the rooms with blue doors.
The washroom was clean, well lit and there was plenty of hot water for our needs but something should be done about the thick dust build up around the bathroom vent and the shower curtains which contained a few questionable stains.
We took advantage of the continental breakfast in the dining room. It is to say that after three days, the breakfast supplies were whatever was left over from the day before, so much for fresh bagels. I read in the reviews that the room was cold, and talk about cold. We couldn’t eat in there without a winter coat on. The room was another testimony of the hotel desperately needing TLC. The wall base boards were actually pulled off the surface at some places and you could see the nails sticking out and the dust bunnies next to the wall, let alone the walls that looked in dire need of a fresh coat of plaster and paint.
To sum up, this reminds me of a “mom and pop shop”. It seems that some repairs are being made with little or no money and some other easy fix are simply ignored resulting in the rundown look of the place. Would I sleep here again? Only if this was the only last resort! I would sooner find a room at other independent hotels. It was rated 9 out of 9 in the reviews probably because not all the other Hotels available in the Soo were listed. I strongly advise anyone to inspect the room before renting. Definitely not romantic and not to the Canadian standard that we are use too. If I would have known that I could add pictures to this review, I would have taken some to prove my point.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first if you. I would not reserve the room by phone if i couldn't cancel it...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Overall, our night here was fine. It is pet friendly and convenient for a pit stop. Close to Pinos, which has a Starbucks. The place is outdated and it looks like the 2nd floor might not be used at all, which is a bit spooky!

• Stayed December 2011