“Beautiful Canadian Scenery” 5 of 5 bubbles

Type: Rail Tours, Tours
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful Canadian Scenery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Train ride is 4 hours there and back with an hour and a half to explore the canyon. The train has an information video which tells of upcoming sights to look for during the ride. They provide magazine with a map of the trails at the canyon and includes things to do in Sault Ste Marie. It was a great experience to see the beautiful sights of Canada along the way to the canyon. An hour and a half was perfect for us. If you are older or like to take lots of time taking pictures, it might not seem like enough time however the waterfalls, trails and river scenery is definitely worth seeing. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys scenery and spending a nice day with family/friends.

6 Thank Tamfeki

Bloomington, Indiana
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Very Nice, Quiet, Peaceful Day through the Woods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I think I always enjoy things more because I have few expectations, therefore am pleased. We boarded the train at 7:30 for an 8:00 departure. Our car had no A/C so they moved us before we left the station. Good idea. I learned today that I cannot ride facing backwards - wow. Seats were facing each other, and few enough travelers went along today so we all had forward-facing seats. (I think they have all of them facing forward if they have a full load). Anyway, the limited number of travelers allowed us to put our feet up on the facing seats for snoozing after lunch - nice touch. The scenery was very green, intense, and interspersed with shimmering lakes and rock walls covered with trees. We stopped in the canyon park for ninety minutes to eat, hike, or do whatever we wanted. We enjoyed the waterfalls, and my hubby and I waited to have lunch until after we reboarded the train - good choice - no crowd in the dining car. Food was fine - a little pricey - but what do you expect on a train? We both napped on the trip back, and overall it was a good day albeit long - arriving a bit before 6:00 p.m. I wish we had gone during the fall color as everyone says it is simply glorious. That's for another day. One impressive point? The upholstered train seats, etc., were all so very clean considering how many people ride. Carpeting was clean, too. That's a big deal to me.

7 Thank Charlene A
Naperville, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great view but long train ride”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The train ride was very long. If you have kids (even a teenager), they will find it very boring after the first half and hour of the ride. It is scenic alright going to the canyon, coming back you will be bored with the same old scenic view. Too short of the time to stay at the canyon. After 3 and a half hours of train ride, you will rather want to have more time to explore the canyon.

1 Thank Tingpin8
Belleville, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful Scenery but ..........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

it is a long ride, but the scenery keeps you in awe!!! The train ride across the trestles was interesting, not as scary as I thought. However the destination time frame allotted is not enough time to enjoy.Train ride was an 8 hour excursion. They offer box lunches that are pricey, bring your own snack/lunch and water. The Canyon waterfalls was beautiful but I've seen more powerful Falls. There were two Falls. The Bridal Falls was a trickle since there had not been much rain.The Falls are rain fed. I would imagine that it is beautiful during the rainy season.The other, Black Beaver, was nice. I don't think the ride's destination was worth the time spent on the train to get there however. Perhaps other attractions could be added to the destination along with more than 90 minutes to see the canyon. If you're not in good shape for walking up stairs (knees and /or foot problems) stay away from the 391 stairs to reach the Look-out that provide an view of the Canyon from on high, which I hear is a beautiful site to see. Unfortunately, I am one who have knee issues so I was unable to endure the stair climb. If the area could be developed more (though the idea is nature setting), with other things to do and see it would make for a wonderful excursion for time spent to arrive there! There were flat screen monitors in each train car to view the scene as the train travels, helps to allow preparation to get camera ready to take shots of upcoming sceneries. It's was nice for an one time adventure, but wouldn't do it again!

5 Thank CeCe S
Sudbury, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I took my 85 year old Grandmother with me on the train. It was very nice, clean and we enjoyed the day. It is a long trip, you do get a sore bum, but worth it, if you enjoy beautiful scenery. Wish we could have seen more, a lot of trees and bush! We did enjoy it, not something I would take my kids on...they would be bored. Food is available at a premium, bring your own!! Would be nice if there were tables in between the chairs to play cards!

4 Thank Ang7705