“Hell time” 1 of 5 bubbles

Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Hell time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

the worst trip of my life. I have a credit now in hell for the time I spent on the train. The toilet odor was nauseating, the air conditioner didn't work and the car was hot and stuffy. The passengers across from us kept the shade down the whole trip so we had no view of the landscape. The porter could have cared less. The available food was very expensive. What a waste of time and money. Take a road trip instead.
o

Visited October 2012
5 Thank kim l

Toronto, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“GREAT trip! even with teenagers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

FANTSTIC – we will be back to do this trip again!!!

First of all….. the train depot is in the walmart parking lot… so before you get on the train make sure you have snacks, bug spray, sunscreen and activities for the kids.

When you board the train make sure you sit on the RIGHT side if you can…. Which means the windows looking out to the road… NOT the parking lot. You’ll get a great view on either side… honest you will but the right is just a LITTLE bit better. When I mentioned this to the staff person standing on the platform she smiled and said I the right was better.
Sitting two facing two is NOT the best option, the train staffer tried to convince us to swivel our seats that way but my dad and daughter both have LONG legs and it was too cramped for us.

BRING FOOD – the food onboard was great however expensive. We picked up a menu the day before so we knew what we were in for. We were two adults and two kids….. so sandwiches and snacks were all we needed – there was more than enough room for our backpack of goodies.
The dining car was a lot of fun, we went for dessert after our walk around the canyon. If you are not doing the walking trail save your lunch for the canyon and eat at one of the tables ….. great picnic spot.

Bring bug spray……… YOU WILL NEED IT . there were plenty of bugs in the canyon park on a hot sunny day…. Rain would have been much worse. Some of the bugs we were not familiar with but they bit like deer flies and we had a few chunks taken out of us before too long.

Bring a camera …… the views are amazing – you don’t have to do one of the walking trails, there are great things to see just from near the train. There is a small playground for kids.

The day we were on the train the gift shop at the canyon wasn’t open and we didn’t do any walking trails – instead we walked along the path next to the train, and checked out the playground.

The views from the train were amazing…. Seeing houses and cottages from the tracks so isolated was very interesting. The staff on the train were helpful, they did MANY walkthroughs on the way there, we didn’t see as many staff on the way back. My teenagers slept on the way back but my father and I were glued to the windows and the screens showing the view from the engine. AWESOME.

The narration of interesting historical points on the way to the canyon was fantastic – I loved it! Even the teenagers found it interesting.

Prior to taking the train I called with questions and to book my tickets each time talking to a gentleman named Richard – he was fantastic! All my questions were answered and when I picked up my tickets the staff were also very helpful.
This was definitely a 5 star day!!!!! This with the bush plane museum was worth the drive from Toronto.

8 Thank phypersfamily
Akron, OH
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Beautiful ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was a great day, weather was perfect. Once at the Canyon, the snack bar and gift shop was closed, but of course food was available on the train. Be sure that you take some insect repellant if you are planning on walking around the canyon, mosquitos and horse flies were everywhere. You can buy a small can of OFF on the train for $10 (really?), so be sure to take your own. Suggest to pack some sandwiches, snacks, and drinks as food prices at the dining car were inflated as well. Seats got to be a bit hard on the way back, but a great day!

3 Thank dberk
Saint Louis, Missouri
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great scenery/ too long”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our only reason for going to Sault Ste. Marie and the canyon is beautiful. The waterfalls were spectacular. But, the train ride was very long. About 3+ hours each way. After seeing the beautiful landscape for about 20 miles, we just wanted to get there. I would suggest bringing a lunch. The box lunches were 15$. I would also suggest bringing bug spray. Once we arrived at the canyon and were able to walk around, there were some very large flies flying around us. I would not recommend this for families with small children. It is just too long.

2 Thank cmurray942
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Good for one trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Liked: Great view, fun to eat in the dining car, interesting videos on the history of the place, train has big windows and is comfortable. The stop for lunch is beautiful with different treks for you to try.

Disliked: The trip back can be boring and long. (Seeing the same thing twice)

Visited July 2012