“Train ride”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Train ride”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

The ride up is all very exciting because you are seeing everything for the first time. Then you get out and have a walk around to see the falls and lovely riverside areas. However, then you have to get back on the train for the long ride back which for some reason seems to take forever. Fortunately I swapped sides I was on so was able to see slightly different scenery.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank rjmills

Minocqua
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Agawa Canyon in the Fall...Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We took the train ride to Agawa Canyon park on Monday, October 1, 2012. We hit the fall colors perfectly!!! The train ride is very nice, I would suggest the right side of the train and if going in the fall to make reservations as our train was booked the day we went. I went with my parents (ages 68 & 70), when we got to the park, I did go by myself to the overlook observation (300 steps), I did it in 20 minutes, but I went very quickly to see the view and have time for lunch at the park. The view was awesome, well worth the hike. On the way back, it is relaxing and many took the time to read or play cards. Overall this was a great day.

4 Thank In-the-Northwoods
Toronto
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“False Advertising.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Advertising that October is not "peak season" for fall colorful leaf viewing, is very different to what they should have advertised :
This is a winter trip. There are no colorful leaves not even one. If you wish to experience winter in early October come board this boring train, and you will pay a hefty price to boot.

3 Thank Tyler123
Ontario, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“fall tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

enjoyed it immensely....the fall colours left was breathless..
highly recommend...
but also make sure to bring more drinks (water,Juice)
long walk to dining cab.....only draw back to tour...they do not have coffee service on each section.
but the stop over and walk along the trails was great...enjoyed watching the monitor...so you could at every turn where you were heading.

1 Thank Gaëtane T
London, Canada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Expensive train ride...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Agawa Train Tour that travels from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario north to the Agawa Canyon is a very long journey to view scenery that can be enjoyed while driving around the area, (we also saw similar autumn colours on the way up to and back from 'The Soo'). Cost of the trip was just over $100 each in the fall, ($85 before the leaves change colour), and the trip takes 4 hours up; you get 1 1/2 hours to hike the area or eat lunch or both, then return. We had an obstructed view on the way up, but on the return trip, they turned the seats around so you had a full window view. I thought these windows would be 'dome' types to enhance the view of the area, but was surprised to find out that they were only slightly larger than a regular train window. We wanted to hike in the limited time at the canyon so we opted to eat on the return. The line-up was so long to purchase food in the 'lunch car' that we went without until we got back to Sault Ste. Marie. Pack your own lunch! Staff were friendly and helpful. Barely noticed the descent into the canyon. We were among the youngest on the trip, (in our late 50's), so I would suggest that it should be a trip you take in 'later years' when you want a long and leisurely activity!
Besides the suggestion of taking your own lunch, snacks and beverages, I would also add that, for convenience and getting the best seats, stay at the Quality Inn across the street from the train station and arrive at least 45 minutes before departure.

6 Thank Lovemanatees